Schumer: Democrats Ready to Fight Republicans Over Tax Reform

1 view

Ubiquitous

Aug 31, 2017, 7:50:08 AM8/31/17
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) said Wednesday that
Democrats are ready to fight with Republicans over tax reform
legislation.

"This is going to be one of the biggest fights of the next three,
four months, and Democrats are ready for it," Schumer told reporters
on a conference call held by a left-leaning group organized to
oppose tax cuts for high earners, according to the Washington
Examiner.

Earlier this month, 45 of 48 Senate Democrats signed a letter to
President Donald Trump and GOP leaders demanding that they not
support any bill that gives new breaks to the wealthiest Americans
or adds to the deficit.

Schumer warned Wednesday that if the Republican tax reform plan
lowers rates for the wealthy, "the American people are going to rise
up against it."

His comments came the same day that Trump is traveling to Missouri
to begin a public campaign for tax reform. Trump is expected to
describe his plan as a benefit to middle-class workers that will
create a more favorable tax system for American businesses to
compete with global competitors.

Trump is seeking a simpler tax code, including middle-class tax
cuts, to push for more job creation.

But Trump's chief economic adviser, Gary Cohn, said that the bulk of
the responsibility is on Congress, not the president, to pass tax
reform.

"At the end of the day, tax legislation has to happen in Congress
and the House," Cohn told the Financial Times last week. "The Ways
and Means Committee will be drafting legislation and we will be on
the road and holding meetings in Washington and elsewhere explaining
why it is so important to have tax reform in America."

Rep. Kevin Brady (R., Texas), chairman of the House Ways and Means
Committee, has said that Trump will play an essential role in the
legislative process to overhaul the country's tax system.

"You can't do this without presidential leadership," Brady said
earlier this month. "My sense of President Trump, he's all in on tax
reform."

#BeamMeUpScotty

Aug 31, 2017, 10:38:10 AM8/31/17
On 08/30/2017 09:05 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) said Wednesday that
> Democrats are ready to fight with Republicans over tax reform
> legislation.
>
> "This is going to be one of the biggest fights of the next three,
> four months,

And then they will lose in 2018. At which point stuff will pass in
congress.

--
That's Karma