Can't get 1099 corrected properly

Mark Carroll

Oct 27, 2013, 9:47:37 AM10/27/13
I have a friend who has an interesting situation with TIAA-CREF. They
issued him a wrong 1099 that much reduced his Federal tax refund. They
have acknowledged the mistake and issued a corrected one, but not with
the "corrected" box checked; in talking to them on the telephone, they
seem incapable of getting their computer to do this. In attempting to
amend his taxes to get the proper refund, even with an accompanying
explanatory letter from his accountant, the IRS are rejecting my
friend's 1099 because the "corrected" box should be checked and it
isn't.

What can my friend do about this, or how can he encourage others to do
the right thing? This isn't the first time TIAA-CREF have screwed up on
1099s, and they are a large company, so others must have had this same
kind of issue with them. Is there a way to get them to actually issue a
1099 that is actually correctly completed so that the IRS will accept
it?

-- Mark