[Hannity] Challenges facing Americans in 2014

Ubiquitous

Jan 7, 2014, 10:45:17 AM1/7/14
ERIC BOLLING, GUEST HOST: There's another milestone to report on related
to 2014, because at the year's end, Congress let a package of 55 popular
tax breaks expire, even though they help save average Americans and
businesses billions of dollars.

To find out more about this decision to raise your taxes, you can head
over to the Hannity Facebook page. And as always, we want to hear from
you over the course of the next hour on Twitter, using the hashtag
#hannity.

Joining me now to talk about the arrival of ObamaCare and those expiring
tax breaks, from the Government Accountability Institute, Peter
Schweizer, and the Third Way senior VP and co-founder Jim Kessler.

Peter, I want to start with you. Let's start with ObamaCare first. Boy,
horror stories -- part of the marketplaces was -- were holding back some
of the payments to the institutions. Pretty soon, we're going to hear
more and more of these stories, are we not?

PETER SCHWEIZER, GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY INSTITUTE: Yes, we are. And
you know, here's the reality, Eric, is a lot of people say, "Well, this
is a problem with implementation." The fact is that ObamaCare is
basically doing what it was designed to do, which is to drive people
into a certain select number of insurance programs. And of course, the
insurance industry likes this. So you know, when people say it's a
failure of implementation, it's not. This is what it's designed to do.

And you're quite right, it's only going to bet worse. We're dealing
right now with the individual mandate, 4.7 million people have lost
their coverage, according to Health and Human Services. Next year, the
employer mandate kicks in. And the White House has said that they
estimate probably a minimum of 6 million will lose their coverage in
that. So this is only the beginning.

BOLLING: Jim, and I guess if the White House estimates 6 million, it
could be multiples of that. What happens as we go throughout this year
and people who were thrown off their coverage and can't get other
coverage -- what happens to them? They're going to flood the emergency
rooms, aren't they?

JIM KESSLER, THIRD WAY SENIOR VP AND CO-FOUNDER: Well, I mean, look,
let's be clear that the health care system wasn't working very well for
the -- going on for the last 30 years. Health care has gotten more and
more expensive and less secure. And people were losing plans and
employers were dumping people, as well.

Look, obviously, ObamaCare for the first three months, they'd like a
mulligan. And the first year is going to be choppy, I think there's no
doubt about it, but I think...

(CROSSTALK)

BOLLING: I don't mean to interrupt you, but I have to ask you -- OK, so
what's changing? ObamaCare hasn't done a thing for the cost of health
care, hasn't done a thing. It's done something for the cost of health
insurance, but not a darn thing for health care. Health care costs
aren't slowing down! They're still rising!

KESSLER: Well, look, we're going to have to wait and see what happens
with ObamaCare in this because it is just starting. But we have to move
from essentially a pay-for-procedure health care system to a pay-for-
performance health care system. ObamaCare takes some of those initial
steps in doing it. I think there's more that needs to be done in this
area. But health care costs for 30 years have been out of control. It's
increased faster than triple inflation for 30 years.

BOLLING: Peter...

KESSLER: I mean, there's been a problem.

BOLLING: Peter, the CBO scores some of these things, and what they've
done since the health care bill was signed into law, they continue to
increase the costs that it's going to cost Americans. I got to get you
guys to put a number two it. Where are you now?

SCHWEIZER: No, I mean, I think that's exactly right. And here's the
problem, Eric. This is another example of social engineering, where a
group of smart people are going to redirect 20 percent of the economy,
and they're going to do things that defy basic economics. We're going to
increase demand for health care services by getting 30 million people
uninsured in the current insurance system. But actually, by increasing
demand, we're going to cut costs. It doesn't work that way!

KESSLER: Right, but it was -- 30 years ago, it was 8 percent of the
economy. Now it's 20 percent of the economy. And it's eating up wages
and it's sending jobs overseas...

SCHWEIZER: But what's changing?

(CROSSTALK)

BOLLING: Yes, go ahead, Peter.

SCHWEIZER: Yes, I mean, there's nothing changing! I mean, the one group
that likes this -- and this is sort of the dirty little secret of
ObamaCare -- while people are losing their coverage, the health
insurance industry loves ObamaCare. Pricewaterhouse...

KESSLER: I wouldn't go that far.

SCHWEIZER: ... just came out with a study -- I would! Pricewaterhouse
just came out with a study and says as a result of ObamaCare, by 2020,
they anticipate health insurance company revenues will grow by $200
billion!

BOLLING: All right, let's -- we -- we...

SCHWEIZER: Look at the stock market!

BOLLING: We need to move on to the next topic. We talked about it -- 55
new laws are going to kick into effect starting next year. A lot of them
are going to increase our taxes. Peter, let's start with you. It's
estimated $54 billion tax increase to Americans!

SCHWEIZER: Yes. And this is classic, what happens in Washington, D.C.
Both parties do it, unfortunately. And that is they're not going to do
this without getting paid to do this. They put together a tax extender,
like an R&D tax credit, for example. They extend it for two years. Why
do they not extend it for five or ten years or make it permanent?
Because they want to turn it into an annuity! They want the high tech
industry in that particularly case to come by, give them campaign
contributions, hire family members as lobbyists. It's horribly
destructive for the economy, but it's great for the political class in
Washington, D.C.

BOLLING: Jim, one of the areas that are being cut is the green energy
business. There's tax incentives for them. I don't necessarily have a
problem with that, but there are a lot of the other things -- home
owners, teachers, college students and others. Their taxes are going up.

KESSLER: So look, I don't want to defend -- they're obviously too busy
to pass some last year. Look, the problem is this. It's not that they
want to get campaign contributions. That's not the reason why. The
reason why is this. Everything gets scored by CBO, and these tax
extenders, they cost a certain amount of money. And if you extend them
for five year or ten years, which they should do, they need to find
offsets for them. So instead, they extend them for one or two years so
they can find fewer places where they need to cut spending.

It is ridiculous, but it is the way we do finances in Washington. It
takes away a lot of assuredness that businesses had that these tax
credits will be there. But that's the reason they do it. This is the way
we do scoring here in Washington.

BOLLING: All right, Peter, final thought.

SCHWEIZER: Yes, I mean, honestly, Congress never pays attention to the
CBO. They don't base their policies on the CBO. Why would they...

KESSLER: Well, we have pay-go as the law. They have to. They have to.

SCHWEIZER: Yes, but -- but they find ways around it all the time. That's
the bottom line. I mean, to think that...

KESSLER: And it's a lot easier when you do it a year at a time than when
you do five years and it's a big number. That's why they do it one year
at a time.

SCHWEIZER: Right, but this is...

KESSLER: Because it's easier to get...

(CROSSTALK)

KESSLER: I'm not defending it. It's just the way it's done. I worked
there for 12 years. That's the way it gets done. It's lousy, but that's
how it gets done -- or doesn't get done.

SCHWEIZER: Well, I think there's a larger explanation that relates to
how Washington works, which you don't get paid in terms of getting
campaign contributions. Lobbyists don't get hired if problems are
solved.

BOLLING: Right. There you go.

SCHWEIZER: So you keep the tax extender going.

BOLLING: That's the way the world works. That's the way it works
especially in D.C. You got to keep your eye on those lobbying firms.
Remember, there was going to be no lobbyists in the White House?

We're going to have to leave it there.

--
Q: Why is ObamaCare like a turd?
A: You have to pass it to see what's in it.

incs

Feb 25, 2014, 7:40:15 AM2/25/14
Hello all;

it should be useful to decrease the authentication of taxes using centers of
excellence;
It is also worth detailing that it is certainly appropriate to extend the supervision of taxes using
up-to-date methodologies
:-))