Helicopters hate dust, and there's plenty of it in Afghanistan, by Ron Jensen, Stars and Stripes

Brooke Rowe

Feb 21, 2002, 5:58:54 PM2/21/02

(EXCERPT) European edition, Thursday, February 21, 2002

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Dust laps at ankles. It rolls over shoe tops
like waves licking a beach. It gathers itself into clouds at the
slightest breeze and covers the world with a fine, grainy layer.

Dust is everywhere in a country suffering a drought of biblical
proportions.

Helicopters hate dust.

"The dust is probably our worst enemy," said Chief Warrant Officer 3
Ralph Ferrell, an instructor pilot with A Company, 4th Battalion,
101st Aviation Regiment from Fort Campbell, Ky.

The UH-60 Black Hawks the unit flies are more likely to crash due...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 21 Feb 2002, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=6893

---------------------------
Brooke Rowe
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com

Andy

Mar 7, 2002, 12:05:10 PM3/7/02
Hey all!

Just got the following e-mail which mentions CW3 Ferrell. Is this legit?
I would like to get a group together at work to send some stuff.

Thanks! - Andy
Hi guys:

I was just made aware of this. If you guys wish to write to any veteran or
send a care package the address is below.

Here is the address below where we are sending care packages to help out the
guys of the 101st in Afagan. . There is no PX over there so some candy bars,
soap, even some baby wipes will be appreciated because showers are once a
month. :

Operation Enduring Freedom
Task Force Talon
CW3 Ralph Ferrell
4/101 A Co.
APO, AE 09355

Feel Free to distribute this address. We can help just a little from here if
we will. We at least had a shower

Ron Leonard
Diamondhead 085
Webmaster 25th Aviation Battalion
http://members.tripod.com/ronleonard/index.htm

Brooke Rowe <world-natio...@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<ckua7uocpih67bt9n...@4ax.com>...

> Helicopters hate dust, and there's plenty of it in Afghanistan, by Ron
> Jensen, Stars and Stripes
>
> (EXCERPT) European edition, Thursday, February 21, 2002
>
> KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Dust laps at ankles. It rolls over shoe tops
> like waves licking a beach. It gathers itself into clouds at the
> slightest breeze and covers the world with a fine, grainy layer.
>
> Dust is everywhere in a country suffering a drought of biblical
> proportions.
>
> Helicopters hate dust.
>
> "The dust is probably our worst enemy," said Chief Warrant Officer 3
> Ralph Ferrell, an instructor pilot with A Company, 4th Battalion,
> 101st Aviation Regiment from Fort Campbell, Ky.

-----------------<snip>----------------------------

Colin Campbell

Mar 7, 2002, 12:50:24 PM3/7/02
On 7 Mar 2002 09:05:10 -0800, zato...@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote:

>Hey all!
>
>Just got the following e-mail which mentions CW3 Ferrell. Is this legit?
>I would like to get a group together at work to send some stuff.

Has it occurred to you that if we can read that address - so can the
enemy?

In the future please use some common sense.

"Keep looking below surface appearances. Don't shrink
from doing so (just) because you might not like what
you find."
General Colin Powell

David Casey

Mar 7, 2002, 3:15:04 PM3/7/02
On Thu 07 Mar 2002 10:05:10a, Andy wrote in us.military.army:

> Hey all!
>
> Just got the following e-mail which mentions CW3 Ferrell. Is this
> legit? I would like to get a group together at work to send some stuff.
>
> Thanks! - Andy
> Hi guys:
>
> I was just made aware of this. If you guys wish to write to any veteran
> or send a care package the address is below.
>
> Here is the address below where we are sending care packages to help
> out the guys of the 101st in Afagan. . There is no PX over there so
> some candy bars, soap, even some baby wipes will be appreciated because
> showers are once a month. :
>
> Operation Enduring Freedom
> Task Force Talon
> CW3 Ralph Ferrell
> 4/101 A Co.
> APO, AE 09355
>
> Feel Free to distribute this address. We can help just a little from
> here if we will. We at least had a shower

I do recall reading somewhere (I think it was the last issue of Soldier's
magazine I read this past weekend) that there are PX facilities there and
the article mentioned several AAFES civilians had volunteered to deploy.

Dave
Signal Corps!!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Andy

Mar 8, 2002, 2:21:45 AM3/8/02
Colin Campbell <col...@linkline.com> wrote in message news:<00af8ucm7tmhu3lom...@4ax.com>...

> On 7 Mar 2002 09:05:10 -0800, zato...@yahoo.com (Andy) wrote:
>
> Has it occurred to you that if we can read that address - so can the
> enemy?

Yes.

> In the future please use some common sense.

Common sense would dictate that we not assume that this is the only
forum in which potential adversaries might gain information. Military
installations are not very difficult to locate internet or no. I
understand you sendiments however.

> "Keep looking below surface appearances. Don't shrink
> from doing so (just) because you might not like what
> you find."
> General Colin Powell

Sorry, if it's on the internet (which this was) then it's common
knowledge. Ladies and gentlemen, Pandora's box is now open...

Thanks for the info. I may just drop by the local guard station to
see if they will be taking contributions and if so what kind and how
much.

David Casey

Mar 8, 2002, 6:32:30 AM3/8/02
On Fri 08 Mar 2002 12:21:45a, Andy wrote in us.military.army:

> Sorry, if it's on the internet (which this was) then it's common
> knowledge. Ladies and gentlemen, Pandora's box is now open...

Using that line of thought, if you social security number, birthdate, and
full name were on a website somewhere I imagine you wouldn't mind it being
reposted here? I mean, it's already on the Internet somewhere...

> Thanks for the info. I may just drop by the local guard station to
> see if they will be taking contributions and if so what kind and how
> much.

One of the best things you could do is put together a "To any soldier"
package of useful items if you were living out in the woods for an extended
period of time. Ship it to the APO address you found and I'm 100% sure
someone will receive it.

Andy

Mar 8, 2002, 3:47:49 PM3/8/02
David Casey <david...@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91CB2E1A7B418da...@209.249.90.100>...

> On Fri 08 Mar 2002 12:21:45a, Andy wrote in us.military.army:

> Using that line of thought, if you social security number, birthdate, and
> full name were on a website somewhere I imagine you wouldn't mind it being
> reposted here? I mean, it's already on the Internet somewhere...

By law, I can't do anything about my name and address being publicly
posted. If it's there then it's there (I checked and it is) however
my SSN cannot be publicly posted and hence would be a violation of the
law.

Thanks for the advice!

Andy