Need receipe & tradition behind "Grog"

Ann Avent

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
I need the receipe the the traditional "punch" GROG...that is mixed at many
military functions. This is for a school function. I also need the order
in which the liquors are added and the reason for each one being added to
the punch. Any help will be appreciated. This is the first time I have
ever posted to a newsgroup..so if I have done something wrong, please
excuse. Thanks aea

CEEJAY

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

Ann Avent wrote in message ...

watered down rum.....

D.S.Martin

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
GROG is just watered down rum... old British Navy slang from 1740's.

Maybe through the passage of time it has come to mean alcohol in general.

I have recipes for several "regimental" punches, but no ceremonial order and
explanation.

There is a poem...

A little water to make it weak,
A little sugar to make it sweet;
A little lemon to make it sour,
A little whiskey to give it power.

Recipes I culled from an old southern cookbook: Jeff Davis Punch; Seventh
Regiment National Guard Punch; Chatham Artillery Punch (British); Charleston
Light Dragoon's Punch. Common to all: rum.

Would they help?

The only punch I remember drinking in the service was "Garbage Pail Punch."
Everybody coming to the party just dumped what they had brought into a
spanking new garbage can. I don't remember what it tasted like because I
don't remember much about that party due to the contents of the garbage
pail.

Colin Campbell

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:32:55 -0500, "Ann Avent" <jea...@charter.net>
wrote:

>I need the receipe the the traditional "punch" GROG...that is mixed at many
>military functions. This is for a school function. I also need the order
>in which the liquors are added and the reason for each one being added to
>the punch. Any help will be appreciated. This is the first time I have
>ever posted to a newsgroup..so if I have done something wrong, please
>excuse. Thanks aea

A typical 'regimental grog' will be composed of alcoholic beverages
that represent each locality the unit fought or made a significant
contribution. In addition the grog will also consist of one 'bad
thing' representative of the area.

This is an example from the 185th armored regiment:
France (WWI)
I bottle French Champagne, 1 measure of mud.
Pacific Theater - (WWII)
3 cans of south Pacific beer, and 3 measures of sea water
Korea
1 bottle of a Korean Liquor, 1 measure of snow.

No electrons were harmed in the posting of this message.

A8O

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
ANN,
Contact me direct, To prevent SPAM.
I have mixed this evil concoction on several occasions. It is a wonderful part
of the dining in Tradition, and can be tailored to your specific units
Heritage.
SFC OSullivan
OCS TAC
DE ARNG

Mudduck

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00

Ann Avent wrote in message ...
>I need the receipe the the traditional "punch" GROG...that is mixed at many
>military functions. This is for a school function. I also need the order
>in which the liquors are added and the reason for each one being added to
>the punch. Any help will be appreciated. This is the first time I have
>ever posted to a newsgroup..so if I have done something wrong, please
>excuse. Thanks aea

Punch Bowl Ceremony

A history of the American Infantry is a history of America--From her
revolution, through the rough pioneer days to her modern role as leader of
the western world. When America or her allies have been threatened the
Infantry has always been there. This ceremony, then, while designed and
dedicated to the America Infantryman, Is in fact equally respondent to the
blood and sweat, dreams and hopes that have built America.

America soldiers first saw war during the revolution. It was here that
America ingenuity, individuality, stealth and steadfast determination
carried the day. These characteristics were to serve the Infantryman at
Valley Forge, Yorktown and Saratoga, We first pour in Port Wine, noted for
age and clarity.

The years after that war were lean. Expansion and building were our trade
in those days, occasionally the Infantryman had to fight to make the America
dream come true. For these building, pioneers and explorers, we add
Blackberry Wine, sweet but tart, reminding us of the fabulous woodlawns and
forests when America was young.

Slowly at first and then rapidly our nation hurled towards civil war.
Diplomacy and politics failed and then Infantry from both the north and
south were called forward to fight each other in the war between the states.
This war of brother against brother and father against son was an
unmeasurable tragedy for our nation--millions suffered--and yet the cause
was one which Infantrymen everywhere understand even today--That
"All men are created equal and endowed with certain inalienable
rights--Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." For the brave men on
both sides of this terrible confict we add Kentucky Bourbon, made
appropriately in a border state claimed and fought over by both sides.

The Indian wars followed as the Infantry learned to respect the most
magnificent mounted Infantryman in history-- The Indian warrior. Bitter
were the wars in this true life and death struggle. Later the Spanish war
again brought us in contact with a European power. remembering the
Maine--Infantrymen went forward to San Juan Hill and Manila to carry out the
will of their nation-- Remembering that there was and still is nothing
glorious about war except our soldiers. To the Spanish-America war where
Infantrymen bled and died, we add Rum, the drink of the Caribbean.

From the Spanish-America war until WW1, America Infantrymen fought bravely
in the pacific. In the Philippines the 23d Infantry fought and finally
conquered the Moro's. The boxer rebellion was stopped in tientsin by the
magnificent 9th Infantry earning them their nickname "Manchu." With World
War 1 the doughboy went to France with Paris in mind, soon to discover the
terrors of trench warfare. America ingenuity and the Infantryman's stalwart
courage brought the Kaiser to his knees and ended the war to end all wars.
In their honor French Red Wine is added for those that still lie in
cemeteries "Over There."

The years between the wars were lean ones. These were the crucible years
for the great leaders of the war yet to come. Marshall, Bradley, Stilwell
and Patton, all found their way to the newly founded school of the Infantry
at Fort Benning. Despite America attempts otherwise, war was soon upon us.
December 7, 1941--A truly global war spanning the world from the east to the
west. The German wehrmacht unchallenged in Europe and Africa and in the
east the war machine of the rising sun challenged world democracy. But
America fought back--first in north Africa, then the Pacific, up the shore
of the Italy and finally across the channel. It was the America Infantryman
whether Airborne, Ranger, Mechanized or Straight legged that fought his way
across these lands to the doorstep of the enemy achieving ultimate victory.
Suffice it to say that those same qualities which shocked the British in
1780 were present a thousand fold during WW2, courage--tenacity--stealth.
Then let us add German Beer to our bowl, for the America Infantryman of
1945, that yesterday crushed the 3rd riech and the America Infantrymen of
1980 that today aid our strong west German ally against the Soviet theat to
world peace.

In 1950 North Korea invaded the Republic of South Korea. For the next three
years Infantry from the United State fought the aggressor from the Yalu to
Pusan. The America Infantryman once again demonstrated his superiority on
the battlefield from the bleak days of Pusan to the heady days of the push
to the Yalu to the uncertainty of the Chinese attack. These men and their
units will survive as an example of what fighting for a just cause can
accomplish against insurmountable odds. To their memory and the memory of
their comrades in arms we add Rice Wine--gentle, trusting but very strong.

After Korea, America enjoyed post war peace and prosperity. But by 1963
diplomacy had failed and the Infantry was called upon to stop an aggressor
in a small southeast Asian nation called Vietnam. A bitter and confusing
war to the soldiers and though largely unsupported at home, the Infantryman
displayed the incredible bravery for which he has always been known. The
memory of Vietnam still lingers today. But let us not dwell on the agonies,
but rather the glories of what our soldiers accomplished. Today the America
Infantryman waits-- in Korea, in Germany, in Panama ready to do again what
have been called upon so often before to accomplish. Today unchanged though
the march of history stands the Infantryman, young often frightened usually
not ready for the war he has to fight, nevertheless, magnificently brave and
courageous. To him and his comrades of the times past, to his friends he
left behind in distant countries and to Infantrymen of the future, we add
our final ingredient--Champagne, the noblest produce of the vine.

You must all remember that only by becoming proficient in the art of war can
we maintain the peace for which we all so desperately hope and pray. always
prepared to shoulder the heavy responsibility of freedom if called on in the
future--and as the pack straps dig into our tired shoulders--we turn to
brave men everywhere with the Perpetual Battlecry--
I AM THE INFANTRY--FOLLOW ME!

Sgt. Anderson
The human body can sweat 2 quarts of water
an hour a little more when hunting humans.
There is no hunt like the hunt of MAN!

V-Man

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
>Give V-Man a couple of hours and he will settle down.

I didn't mean to go off like I was mad. I was only trying to let the newbie
know, as so many don't until somebody tells them. You can tell when i am mad
as I used foul language to make sure they get the point! :-)

V-Man A Knight is sworn to Valor
=/\= His Heart knows only Virtue
(-o-) His Blade defends the Weak
<*> His Word speaks only Truth
His Wrath undoes the Wicked

V-Man

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
> Mudduck seems
>like a good sort so I hope he decides to stay around and contribute.

Me too...

>Speaking of trolls, I see your buddy atila the douche bag
>is out of work and bored again.

You mean the guy that can't spell Attila...

David Casey

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00

"Bill Proffitt" <twunl...@bigfootXmapsX.com> wrote in message
> Aaah, net instructor Velovich - you do a good service. Mudduck seems

> like a good sort so I hope he decides to stay around and contribute.
> It is nice to have some of the finer folks in this NG besides some of
> the trolls. Speaking of trolls, I see your buddy atila the douche bag
> is out of work and bored again. My my all that idle time on his
> hands <grin>.

And I keep feeding him, but it gives me something to read and laugh about
while on those long night shifts here! :-)

SGT Casey

Dangerpig

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the illiterate mother f**ker

"V-Man" <velo...@aol.com.CanDo> wrote in message

> >Give V-Man a couple of hours and he will settle down.
>
> I didn't mean to go off like I was mad. I was only trying to let the
newbie
> know, as so many don't until somebody tells them. You can tell when i am
mad
> as I used foul language to make sure they get the point! :-)

V-Man

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
>Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the illiterate mother f**ker

I see. So George S Patton was an illeterate? Despite the fact he know all
the classics better than anyone here, despite the fact he was a war winning
general that taught the "Blitzkrieg" creators something about their trade,
despite the fact he was simply a great leader.

Thanks for your input, but our judges have ruled you have missed the train.
Thanks for playing, we have some nice parting gifts for you backstage.

Dangerpig

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
"It was a joke son. I keep a tossin' em and you keep a missin' " Foghorn
Leghorn.

Next time I'll put the little smiley-face up for the humor impaired :)

"V-Man" <velo...@aol.com.CanDo> wrote in message

V-Man

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
>"It was a joke son. I keep a tossin' em and you keep a missin' " Foghorn
>Leghorn.
>
>Next time I'll put the little smiley-face up for the humor impaired :)

DOH! As Humor, it's OK, no complaint, jsut need to see that smiley with
allthe trolls about. Thanks!