Open Government + Public Participation cases

Justin Herman - XAAA

Aug 12, 2016, 1:13:38 PM8/12/16
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
My apologies for the "Open Data" in the subject of the email -- as admitted in the email, we've been reaching out across the board to Communities to spread the word, and Public Participation in Open Data is a strong place.

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Justin Herman

Digital Communities + U.S. Digital Registry + Open Government

Technology Transformation Service

U.S. General Services Administration

**To join more than 8,000 managers across government in one of our Communities -- 13 inter-agency collaborative platforms for analysis, development and implementation of innovative policies and programs -- visit our homepage.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Justin Herman - XAAA <justin...@gsa.gov> wrote:
Hello Open Government Community,

I hope this email finds you well, productive and properly ice coffee'd today -- and promise you things are about to get that much better. And while I would apologize if you've already seen another variation of this request shared within a different community, that's truly a good thing because we're doing all we can to reach out beyond normal circles.

Champions of public service improvement, not unlike yourself, are taking the opportunity this week to spend five minutes contributing a brief initial case study highlighting how public participation (including citizen feedback, public private partnerships and more) help make a meaningful impact on their programs. The contribution process is simple, but when we have case studies from across a wide spectrum of agencies, missions and skill sets, we can start analyzing and unlocking the barriers that we all face.

Right now we have examples from eRegulations to health and wellness programs, from mapping to cataloguing, but of course this is the community here that has a finger on the pulse of Public Participation programs.

Admittedly, the Open Government Community is the last group that I sent this request to, for the very reason that we want to make sure we're reaching out to new people and programs who may be contributors or stakeholders (or tomorrow's champions) in Open Government, but just don't know it yet.

So to our government community members, I encourage you to please join your colleagues in taking this opportunity to frame your public participation activities and their impact, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions or make any suggestion.

How to contribute:
Thank you as always and please remember that while seemingly small, this contribution in concert with so many other champions like yourselves, makes for an overwhelming contribution for the benefit of all our programs. Aside from it just being a good time meeting your colleagues and learning about their programs.

Inline image 1

- Justin

Justin Herman

Digital Communities + U.S. Digital Registry + Open Government

Technology Transformation Service

U.S. General Services Administration

**To join more than 8,000 managers across government in one of our Communities -- 13 inter-agency collaborative platforms for analysis, development and implementation of innovative policies and programs -- visit our homepage.

1. Take a look at the U.S. Public Participation and the plays:

Play 1: Clearly define and communicate your objectives

Play 2: Understand your participants and stakeholder groups

Play 3: Understand and communicate the benefit of participation

Play 4: Empower participants through public/private partnership

Play 5: Select appropriate design format for public participation

Play 6: Design for inclusiveness

Play 7: Provide multi-tiered paths to participation

Play 8: Provide effective and timely notifications

Play 9: Encourage community building through responsive outreach

Play 10: Protect citizen privacy

Play 11: Use Data to Drive Decision Making

Play 12: Transparently report outcomes and performance of participation

Answer these questions with 1-3 sentences tops, or N/A:

Name of Program *

Agency(s) *

Points of Contact *

Mission of Program *

How can citizens participate or engage in the program? *

What impact does citizen participation or engagement make on the mission? (i.e. feedback for improved services; data for decision-making; questions and answers; customer service; collaborative development; etc) *

Sample Performance Metrics of Program *

After reviewing the U.S. Public Participation Playbook at Participation.USA.gov, which of the plays are best represented in your program? (i.e. Public Private Partnerships, or Data-Driven Decision making)

After reviewing the U.S. Public Participation Playbook at Participation.USA.gov, which plays do you feel there's an opportunity to add to your program? *

In the coming year, what steps do you anticipate taking to enhance your program? *

Justin Herman - XAAA

Aug 12, 2016, 1:26:16 PM8/12/16
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Open Government Community,

Quick correction, I had been distributing this information to .gov and .mil communities, and was quickly  reminded after that this is a mixed community of colleagues both in and outside government.

With that said, please disregard the form and questions. My apologies for the confusion.

If you are interested in discussing Public Participation programs, please just let me know. In the meantime, have a great weekend!

Justin Herman

Digital Communities + U.S. Digital Registry + Open Government

Technology Transformation Service

U.S. General Services Administration

**To join more than 8,000 managers across government in one of our Communities -- 13 inter-agency collaborative platforms for analysis, development and implementation of innovative policies and programs -- visit our homepage.

J. Albert Bowden

Aug 19, 2016, 12:50:13 PM8/19/16
to US Open Government
gotta say - in an "open" government community, you are seeking commentary regarding "Public Participation Programs"...but not in the open and not from the public.....

there's an extremely bizarre layer i've seen from time to time in "open" gov:
request feedback/engagement from citizens in or from a place they have no access to. off the top of my head:
digitalgov does it.
citizen science does it.
this email.

i noticed that one of your questions for the select group is
"After reviewing the U.S. Public Participation Playbook at Participation.USA.gov, which of the plays are best represented in your program? (i.e. Public Private Partnerships, or Data-Driven Decision making)"

are you also asking the private sector for commentary/feedback here?

Zarek, Corinna J. EOP/OSTP

Aug 19, 2016, 1:03:26 PM8/19/16
to J. Albert Bowden, US Open Government

Hi Albert,

I’m trying to follow your input here – this discussion group is both open and public so any information shared here is shared in the open and with the public. Many members of this discussion group are private sector folks so the hope is that they (you) will share your commentary and feedback. I’ll let Justin clarify any other helpful points, but I’m not sure I’m tracking your concerns or how best to address them.

As always, really appreciate feedback and suggestions about the best ways for all of us in government to engage with and seek feedback from our colleagues in civil society!

Thanks,
Cori

Image removed by sender. Inline image 1

Justin Herman - XAAA

Aug 19, 2016, 1:03:34 PM8/19/16
to J. Albert Bowden, US Open Government
My apologies, J. Albert, I had asked in a previous message for you to please disregard the email you're referencing on the Public Participation Playbook, which is designed to provide federal agencies with best practices and sample performance metrics for evaluating their participatory programs. Though yes, there was a lot of feedback used from not just agencies in their own experiences, but from civic organizations and the public.

What we want to do is find out from agencies, since the release of the playbook, how it might have been used, or how in the coming year agencies intend to enhance their programs -- and ultimately, we report that out, just as is suggested programs do in the playbook. I accidentally sent that request out to this listserv, which has non-federal members and as a result I had to rescind it -- that isn't my personal action to limit feedback, that's a law that must be followed.

This is also why I reiterated that if anyone did want to reach out and discuss Public Participation programs to please do (and thanks to those who have!) -- I just can't send out a request for structured feedback to non-federal recipients. If you think there's been some broken feedback loops between requests for feedback in ways citizens can't respond to, please let me know so it can be looked at, or if you want to discuss I'm at 202-573-3824, or available to meet in person or Google Hangout. Thanks again, we're always available to listen and discuss how to make things clearer and better.