OGP: Ensuring access to "public consultation"

Stephen Buckley

Mar 27, 2015, 6:11:21 PM3/27/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com, Suzanne Piotrowski, Sinah Kang
[This is an open posting meant for Mr. Foti's response, initially, then by others if desired.]

Dear Joe Foti (OGP/IRM),

I am glad that I got to speak with you and Suzanne Piotrowski last week during her open meetings at the OpenGov Hub in D.C. for evaluating the U.S. (2nd) National Action Plan for the Open Government Partnership.

I have reported back to the leadership of the U.S. affiliate of the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2-USA) about those meetings, but I keep getting questions from them about the process that are also unclear to me. So I hope you can help me (and others, I suspect) better understand exactly what an organization like the IAP2 (founded in 1990, with over 400 U.S. members) is supposed to have been doing in order to be invited to participate (i.e., to get a seat at the table) in the same way as other interested organizations:

http://www.opengovpartnership.org/how-it-works/civil-society-dialogue
Getting a seat at the table:  The OGP process requires government to consult with civil society and citizens, and the Independent Reporting Mechanism assesses the quality of this consultation.  As a result, OGP can help ensure that civil society experts have a seat at the table to discuss critical open government reforms with their own public officials. [emphases added]

For example: Since the time that we spoke last Friday, the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) posted a link to their Self-Assessment of progress on the 2nd NAP, and it contains their description of efforts for "Improving Public Participation":

https://m.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/NAP%202%200%20Self-Assessment%20Report%20final.pdf (See page 3):

Other actors involved:  Executive branch agencies and civil society organizations, primarily those focused on public participation

Brief description:  Identify best practices for public participation in government and publish best practices and metrics for public participation.

Ambition:  This commitment will improve the way government interacts with civil society in policymaking, decision-making, and general governance.  It provides agencies with concrete steps to take to ensure the public can participate in these important efforts.

Description of results:  In 2014, a team of more than 70 government leaders led by GSA identified best practices in public participation along with civil society. The government team co-created the Public Participation Playbook alongside civil society and launched the first iteration of this living document in February 2015.

Although our reputation and name would seem an obvious choice, the IAP2 does not consider itself one of the organizations engaged, as described by the U.S government, "primarily those focused on public participation".  As a "legacy organization" on Public Participation, the IAP2 developing the well-known " Spectrum of Public Participation", the IAP2 would be very interested (as should the OGP) in finding out why some organizations, apparently, are given more and earlier access to federal #OpenGov discussions (e.g., Public Participation Playbook, prior to its release in November), even while IAP2 was making specific inquiries to OSTP throughout last year.

Of course, it's understandable that the U.S. government wants to OGP to think that it has been doing a good job of consulting with "civil society" since 2011.  But it appears that certain organizations are given special access to otherwise closed discussions, contrary to the spirit, if not the letter, of OGP Guidance.

In the meantime, please help us understand how the OGP "can help ensure" that the IAP2 (and any other org) can be invited to participate with a "seat at the table" in the same way as any other interested organization.

Thank you for your attention.

best,

Stephen Buckley, #OpenGov liaison
International Association for Public Participation (U.S. affiliate)

collaboration engineer
Cape Cod, Massachusetts / USA
http://www.OpenGovMetrics.com
G: +1-508-348-9090
skype:  opengov

Zarek, Corinna

Mar 30, 2015, 1:27:09 PM3/30/15
to Stephen Buckley, us-open-g...@googlegroups.com, Suzanne Piotrowski, Sinah Kang

Hi everyone,

Steve, I see that your note is intended for Joe Foti, but wanted to respond to some of the points you raised that relate directly to the USG’s work on open gov issues.

I wanted to address your comment that IAP2 does not consider itself as an engaged participant for the Public Participation Playbook. There were several wide-reaching invitations for anyone and everyone to participate in that work – not limited in any way. In fact, there were so many requests for additional participation and input via blog posts and messages in this discussion group that I worried some of the fine folks on this list might have been getting Public Participation Playbook fatigue!

If individuals or groups chose not to engage, that is perfectly understandable but anyone and everyone was invited to be part of that project throughout the process. The Nov. 25 blog post introducing the project read, The team would like your input as well! Over the next month, contribute your ideas….” And we appreciated the individuals who rolled up their sleeves and got to work helping to build this – they chose to take a seat at the table and pitch in.

We really appreciate feedback on constructive ways for participation and hope that you and other experts in this space will join us the next time there is an open invitation.

Thanks,
Cori

Joseph Foti

Mar 30, 2015, 4:51:02 PM3/30/15
to Stephen Buckley, us-open-g...@googlegroups.com, Suzanne Piotrowski, Sinah Kang
Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your email. I can't speak directly to most of the issues that you raise. As you know, the IRM is a peer-reviewed post hoc process. Consequently, until the US IRM report is released for public comment on July 31st, it would not be in keeping with our mandate for me to comment on the ongoing US process.

I can only really point you to the requirements in the OGP Articles of Governance (copied below my response). As you will see, the guidance is minimal and may or may not capture what public participation experts consider best practice.

In your email, your request was to, "please help us understand how the OGP 'can help ensure' that the IAP2 (and any other org) can be invited to participate with a 'seat at the table' in the same way as any other interested organization." Without overstepping my bounds, I can only emphasize that OGP is a platform to encourage dialogue. If you have feedback for the US government beyond the minimal requirements set out in the Articles of Governance, then I can only encourage you to use the opportunities already created to amplify that feedback and widen space for further feedback.

Best regards,

Joe Foti

OGP Articles of Governance Addendum C

Consultation during development of action plan

Availability of timeline: Countries are to make the details of their public consultation process and timeline available (online at a minimum) prior to the consultation;

Adequate notice: Countries are to consult the population with sufficient forewarning;

Awareness-raising: Countries are to undertake OGP awareness-raising activities to enhance public participation in the consultation;

Multiple channels: Countries are to consult through a variety of mechanisms—including online and through in-person meetings—to ensure the accessibility of opportunities for citizens to engage;

Breadth of consultation: Countries are to consult widely with the national community, including civil society and the private sector, and to seek out a diverse range of views; and

Documentation and feedback: Countries are to make available online a summary of the public consultation and all individual written comment submissions.

 Consultation during implementation

Consultation during implementation: Countries are to identify an existing or new forum to enable regular multistakeholder consultation on OGP implementation.

--
Joseph Foti

Program Director
Independent Reporting Mechanism