Open Government Public Meeting

Zarek, Corinna

Jul 15, 2015, 1:55:29 PM7/15/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com

Hello!

You are invited to a public meeting to discuss potential commitments for the third U.S. Open Government National Action Plan on Thursday, July 30 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. The meeting will also be livestreamed on whitehouse.gov/live.

Please register to attend in person here. We will follow up with additional information about the event and a livestream reminder on this discussion group.

Hope you can be a part of the in-person or online meeting!
Cori

Corinna Zarek

Senior Advisor for Open Government

Office of Science and Technology Policy | The White House

202.456.6075

whitehouse.gov/open

@OpenGov

Stephen Buckley

Jul 27, 2015, 5:23:55 PM7/27/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

As soon as I saw the message (below), I registered for the public meeting this Thurs. (July 30) for discussing the OpenGov National Action Plan, but I have not seen any additional information about the meeting.

I believe that it would improve our collaboration at that meeting if the participants (including those online) could understand, before the meeting, as much as possible about how that meeting will be conducted (i.e., format, agenda, ground rules, #hashtag, etc.), so that they can better prepare their thoughts and, then, be better able to share them at the meeting.

If anyone is aware of that information, please share it here so that, then, we can all share it with others.  Thanks!

best,

Stephen Buckley
OpenGov liaison, U.S. Chapter - International Assn. for Public Participation (IAP2)
http://www.iap2usa.org

collaboration engineer
Cape Cod, Mass.
land&cell: 508-348-9090
@OpenGovMetrics

Justin Herman - XAAA

Jul 27, 2015, 5:26:36 PM7/27/15
to Stephen Buckley, us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
We've got another follow-up email on the way for registrants with more information -- keep an eye out.

Justin Herman

U.S. Federal SocialGov lead / Digital Services Talent Team

General Services Administration: 18F + DigitalGov

**To join almost 1000 digital managers and 170 programs across government in the #SocialGov Community, an inter-agency collaborative community supporting the development of better engagement programs, email me.

*Want to join the nation's top technologists helping solve our country's most critical challenges? Apply now and use "18F" as the referral code.

Tim Bonnemann

Jul 27, 2015, 5:33:38 PM7/27/15
to US Open Government, sbuc...@igc.org, justin...@gsa.gov
Thanks, Justin.

I hope to attend remotely (on behalf of IAP2 USA) if possible.

Tim
To post to this group, send email to us-open-...@googlegroups.com.

Justin Herman - XAAA

Zarek, Corinna

Jul 29, 2015, 3:24:25 PM7/29/15
to Justin Herman - XAAA, Tim Bonnemann, US Open Government, Stephen Buckley

Hi everyone!

Last call for registration for tomorrow’s Open Government Public Meeting! Please be sure to sign up in advance so we can guarantee your admission (space is limited).

I’m sharing below the details that were sent to registrants today with more information about the meeting.

We look forward to your participation either in the room or remotely (whitehouse.gov/live) starting at 2pm ET.

Thanks,
Cori

Hello!

Thank you for registering for the Open Government National Action Plan Public Meeting on Thursday, July 30, 2015.  The event will include presentations and discussion on possible initiatives for the third U.S. Open Government National Action Plan (NAP), and we are excited for your participation.

Logistics

The event will take place from 2:00 - 4:00 PM at the National Archives building located at 700 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Please use the Special Events entrance at the corner of 7th and Constitution Avenue. Security screening will be conducted upon entry. The meeting will be held in the McGowan Theater, which is just downstairs from the building entrance. It will also be live-streamed on whitehouse.gov/live (please encourage your colleagues to tune in).

Agenda

From 2:00 – 3:00 PM, government and civil society officials will share remarks about the Open Government Partnership, including discussion of the first and second U.S. NAPs, and civil society recommendations for the third NAP.

From 3-4 p.m., we look forward to hearing your ideas on open government topics for the third NAP. The McGowan Theater will be equipped with wi-fi so please feel free to bring a laptop to participate in the discussion and brainstorming online in addition to the conversation that will happen in the room. We will ask folks outside the room to contribute their suggestions and comments via Twitter to @OpenGov and #USNAP or email to ope...@ostp.gov.

We look forward to having you join us for this great event. See you tomorrow!

Thanks!

Stephen Buckley

Jul 29, 2015, 7:22:43 PM7/29/15
to US Open Government
Hi Cori,

Thanks for the information.

But it still would be helpful for participants to know the "ground rules" for the 2nd hour, when the people get their chance to speak (or tweet).  For example:

1.  Since the setting is an auditorium, do you want people to stay in their seats and wave for the microphone?  Or should people line up at a microphone stand?

2.  Will the second hour also be on WhiteHouse.gov/live, or otherwise recorded?  (At the OpenGov Workshop in March, those of us on Twitter were essentially by ourselves in the second hour, after the presentations ended and the White House livestream stopped.)

3.  Is there a date to expect release of the OGP's evaluation of U.S. efforts under the current National Action Plan (2.0) for Open Government?

At 03:24 PM 7/29/2015, Zarek, Corinna wrote:
[...]

From 2:00 – 3:00 PM, goveernment and civil society officials will share remarks about the Open Government Partnership, including discussion of the first and second U.S. NAPs, and civil society recommendations for the third NAP.

Zarek, Corinna

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31:45 PM7/29/15
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government

Hi Steve,

Great questions, as always!

We’ll go over the rules of the road, so to speak, tomorrow in the room (and on the livestream), but so folks are prepared there will be microphones in the room for in-room comments and the fantastic Justin Herman from GSA and Meredith Stewart from NARA will be fielding the incoming from Twitter (please tweet to @OpenGov and/or use the hashtag #USNAP) and email (ope...@ostp.gov). We will go over all of this live for everyone’s benefit.

The full meeting will be streamed.

As for your third question, sounds like a question for the Open Government Partnership – if they’re not monitoring this discussion group to respond directly, they’ll be in the room tomorrow and you can ask then!

Hope to see (or hear from) many of you tomorrow!

Cori

Zarek, Corinna

Aug 3, 2015, 12:11:16 PM8/3/15
to US Open Government

Hello!

Thanks to all of you who participated in last Thursday’s Open Government Public meeting. I wanted to share some stats about the meeting.

We had approximate 75 people in the audience with several civil society organizations represented, many members of the public, and 15 different departments and agencies including NARA, DOJ, IMLS, USDA, GSA, HHS, NLRB, DHS, Energy, State, Commerce, BLS, USAID, EPA, OSTP, NSC, and ODNI.

You can view the livestream here. It looks like there were approximately 300 who viewed live and participated remotely. We were able to raise nearly all the questions and issues that came in remotely during the program, and appreciate the comments that came in via Twitter and email.

We now turn to working through all the great submissions for possible commitments that have come from government and civil society. We look forward to continuing the conversation with all of you as the plan begins to take shape.

Thanks!

Cori