#OpenDOT Twitter Chat on their OpenGov Plan (Monday 3:00 pm ET)

Stephen Buckley

Aug 29, 2016, 12:43:52 AM8/29/16
to US Open Government, Greer, Reggie (OST)
Hi All,

Since we have been discussing the various online methods that federal agencies use for public feedback, I thought you'd be interested in @USDOT's choice of platform (Twitter) for a "discussion" on how to improve its Open Government Plan (Monday, 8/29, 3:00 pm ET)

I only received this message because I subscribed to an obscure email-group which, as you may notice, the existence of which is not mentioned anywhere in the message (which is a standard feature for an email-group, aka email-listerv, like this one here).  Hint, hint to @USDOT: Set up a google-group about your OpenGov program, like our discussion group here.

Cori:  Except for the recent posting by the State Dept., it's hard for me to remember postings here, over the past 2 years, by federal agencies on news about their OpenGov Plans.  This email-group would seem to be the most obvious way for them to let #OpenGov people know what's going on.

And so, I'm wondering, of all the federal agencies, how many agencies have an OpenGov rep who is subscribed to this email-group.  Do you know?  Thanks, in advance, for checking into that.  Or, any of them could confirm they are a subscriber by simply replying to this email.

best,

Steve Buckley, #OpenGov liaison
International Association for Public Participation, U.S. Chapter
http://www.IAP2usa.org

Collaboration Engineer
Cape Cod, Mass.
http://www.OpenGovMetrics.com
G: 508-348-9090

=======================================

From: "Greer, Reggie (OST)" <Reggie...@dot.gov>
To: US DOT Public Engagement <PublicEn...@dot.gov>
Subject: Join Us for a #OpenDOT Twitter Chat | Monday, August 29 from 3:00 PM
 - 4:00 PM EDT
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 06:39:32 +0000

#OpenDOT graphic

Seven years ago, President Barack Obama signed the Memorandum on Transparency and Open Government, which laid the groundwork to build a more open and transparent government. Across the Administration, agencies are working to update their biennial Open Government Plans, and we want to hear YOUR suggestions on how best to build on the progress we’ve made over the past seven years!
As part of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s commitment to openness and engagement, the Department will host a
Twitter Chat

Monday, August 29 from 3:00pm – 4:00 pm EDT

USDOT’s Chief Data Officer, Dan Morgan, and other USDOT officials will take over the @USDOT Twitter handle, so YOU don’t want to miss this opportunity to add YOUR voice.

Please use #OpenDOT to ask questions, make comments, and/or follow the discussion!

Read More Here: https://www.transportation.gov/fastlane/opendot-we-need-your-ideas

Reggie Greer
Deputy Director of Public Engagement
U.S. Department of Transportation

5c1637f0.jpg

Zarek, Corinna J. EOP/OSTP

Aug 30, 2016, 10:38:55 AM8/30/16
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government, Greer, Reggie (OST)

Hi Steve and all,

Steve, I think you’re right – since this Discussion Group just started in 2014, I don’t think there was quite as much conversation going on about agency Open Gov Plans as they were updated back then. It’s been great to see the discussions going on this year.

We have been encouraging both agency and civil society open gov enthusiasts to join this Discussion Group since 2014 and we’re up to 363 members which is great. Upon a quick glance, it looks like there are slightly more .gov vs non-.gov accounts. Appreciate the reminder to keep encouraging all of our colleagues to use this space for discussion!

Cori

M. Andre Goodfriend

Aug 30, 2016, 4:34:16 PM8/30/16
to US Open Government, Reggie...@dot.gov
Fascinating innovative use of Twitter for public engagement by DOT

We're going to test out the GovUp platform for live engagement on Thursday, September 1, at 2pm.

I'll post an announcement separately as well

Andre

M. Andre Goodfriend
Senior Advisor
Office of eDiplomacy