Best resources to communicate positive effects of open-data to public

Jerry Hall, GovAlert.me

May 5, 2015, 7:56:26 PM5/5/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
I spoke with a local government staffer today who is interested in learning about resources that will help them communicate the benefits of an open-gov policy. They're looking to open their data via a portal but, are short on material as to how to teach the public about positive effects.

They're in the field of health and human services so a track or materials focusing on HHS-type open data is ideal.

Do you know of any such resource?

Thanks!

Kristen Honey

May 7, 2015, 12:52:14 PM5/7/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com

My first thought was the Health Data Consortium (HDC). Quick search for “open data” on HDC returned some results that look promising – lots on open data, Blue Button, news & resources: http://www.healthdataconsortium.org/

Forum One -- one of the Climate Data Initiative (CDI) private-sector partners who made CDI commitments to support the White House & open data -- helped to launch the HDC. This company, Forum One, is excellent with messaging and did a lot of it for HDC and the State of California open data work. They have info & open data messaging for health here: http://forumone.com/topics/health/

Another thought is to share the blog summaries of past Open Data Roundtables, since these were all written for the general public and emphasize the value of open data across sectors:

DOC Roundtable

Listening to Our Data Customers at the Open Data Roundtable by Bruce Andrews - Acting Deputy Secretary

http://www.commerce.gov/news/blog/2014/06/listening-our-data-customers-open-data-roundtable

A Big Day for Big Data: The Beginning of Our Data Transformation by Mark Doms - Under Secretary for Economic Affairs

http://www.esa.doc.gov/under-secretary-blog/big-day-big-data-beginning-our-data-transformation

BEA Listens to Customers’ Ideas on How to Unleash Data by BEA

http://blog.bea.gov/2014/06/20/bea-listens-to-customers-ideas-on-how-to-unleash-data-2/

USDA Roundtable

Participants in Open Data Roundtables Guide USDA on Ways to Provide High Quality Data to Users by Joyce Hunter - Deputy Chief Information Officer, Policy and Planning

http://blogs.usda.gov/2014/08/07/participants-in-open-data-roundtables-guide-usda-on-ways-to-provide-high-quality-data-to-users/

One Year Later – USDA in the Brave New World of Open Data http://blogs.usda.gov/2015/02/04/one-year-later-usda-in-the-brave-new-world-of-open-data/

USPTO Roundtable

USPTO Open Data Roundtable – An Awesome Beginning

http://www.commerce.gov/news/blog/2014/12/uspto-open-data-roundtable-awesome-beginning

DOE Roundtable

First-Ever Energy Open Data Roundtable Catalyzes Value of Big Data Revolution for Energy Sector

http://energy.gov/eere/articles/first-ever-energy-open-data-roundtable-catalyzes-value-big-data-revolution-

Hope these ideas are useful,
Kristen

Rebecca Williams

May 7, 2015, 1:06:28 PM5/7/15
to Kristen Honey, us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jerry,
Happy to provide the staffer with contacts to folks working on the above resources.

Rebecca Williams

Jerry Hall, CivicArchive

May 7, 2015, 3:48:53 PM5/7/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Thank you both. I'm thinking of starting a Github Awesome lists page with these but, have to do some more research so I'm not duplicating.

Thanks again!

Philip Ashlock

May 7, 2015, 4:39:32 PM5/7/15
to us-open-g...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the process of migrating the Civic Commons Wiki to GitHub pages http://wiki.civiccommons.org -> https://github.com/CivComs/wiki

The only thing I'm waiting on is a domain name transfer, but otherwise I'll probably keep using that for my own purposes and would encourage others to contribute too.