Friday's NAP Co-Creation Workshop

Meredith Stewart

Sep 27, 2017, 3:58:36 PM9/27/17
to US Open Government
Hi everyone,

The OMB organizers have let us know that a few seats are left for additional civil society representatives to participate in a National Action Plan 4.0 Co-Creation Workshop on Friday afternoon at the National Archives Innovation Hub. To reserve your seat, please email ope...@nara.gov. Seating is limited, so we will only be able to accommodate the first ten RSVPs.

Unfortunately remote participation is not possible in this event. However, the results of the workshop will be available via GitHub. We encourage you to weigh in with your thoughts and reactions on the proposed commitments.

Thanks,
Meredith

Meredith Stewart
Innovation Hub Director
National Archives and Records Administration

Stephen Buckley

Sep 29, 2017, 12:59:32 AM9/29/17
to US Open Government, Meredith Stewart, Kristen Honey
Hi Meredith,

Was there an announcement somewhere about this "Co-Creation Workshop" tomorrow (Friday) "afternoon"?  Because there was no announcement here on this email-group.  Is there another channel for sharing #OpenGov information that I (and others) should be aware of?

And, even though you say that the Friday meeting will not be set up for "remote participation" (i.e., Adobe Connect), you can very easily let those #OpenGov stakeholders who can not attend to listen (passively) by turning your smartphone into a microphone.  Just set your phone to "speaker-phone", call (202) 660-1314, lower the earpiece's volume to "zero" (not the "mute" button) and then put the phone down in front of you on the table.  We will hear you (and anyone near you), but you won't hear us.

Any person outside the room who also calls that number will then be able to hear you.  And anyone else inside the room (like on the far side of that long table)  -- and who is not afraid to be heard -- can be also turn their phone into a microphone by following these same instructions.  But I would need to know what time in the "afternoon" this meeting will be, so I can set things up for this "listen-only" conference call.

Yes, I understand that the "OMB organizers" of this meeting may not want to be open about Who is saying What at the meeting (e.g., to allow for candor by Agency reps).  But, if that is the case, then it can still be made clear (transparent), in a written summary of the Workshop, as to which "civil society" organizations had this special opportunity to advocate for which of their suggestions ("issues").  Those details are not required to be shown on the GitHub platform.

Also:  I asked about something in an earlier email here, but received no response.  If my organization does not qualify as "civil society", i.e., is not worthy to be consulted as equally as other orgs (about Public Participation!), then we need to know.  And so should the Open Government Partnership, because its " Co-Creation Standards" (see Principles, 1.1) are based on our org's "Core Values".

And, if we do qualify as "civil society", then we invite the #OpenGov team to collaborate (preferably online and inclusively, similar to our recent Join.Me session) in accordance with their own "NAP4" timeline as specified at http://open.usa.gov/nap4 :

  • Sep 15 – Oct 13: Iterate with civil society and agencies, polish and finalize final clearances

Thank you for your attention.

sincerely,

Stephen Buckley
OpenGov rep, U.S. Chapter
International Association for Public Participation
http://www.IAP2usa.org

Cori Zarek

Sep 29, 2017, 11:03:57 AM9/29/17
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government, Meredith Stewart, Kristen Honey
Purely logistically, I don't see how a very loud room where a few dozen people are in breakout groups having separate conversations can translate to phone participation -- even with a smartphone on the table. All it would pick up is the cacophony of the brainstorm going on around it.

It's ok for the government teams to hold meetings, workshops, and any other engagement they might find helpful with targeted, invited colleagues. It's also ok to be critical of the fact that those types of engagements don't logistically or practically lend for remote participation, but I'd suggest the practical solution here is to identify other ways of remote engagement -- which you did with your call this week, Steve, and which our government colleagues have been attempting to do online.

It's important -- and crucial -- for there to be open opportunities for any interested person to participate, but every single consultation or engagement does not have to be open to every single American.

Cori
(concerned citizen)