Next OpenGov Interagency Working Group Meeting Tuesday 5/30

Alycia (Piazza) Yozzi

May 19, 2017, 9:40:34 AM5/19/17
to US Open Government
The next quarterly public U.S. Inter-agency Open Government Working Group meeting is May 30th from 10:00 - 11:00 am eastern time. This is part of Federal efforts to continue strengthening the open gov ecosystem and two-way stakeholder engagement with 21st century government.  Please join us! It is an open invite. Invite others. All welcome.

              Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2017
              Time: 10:00am – 11:00am (arrive 9:45am)

In Person (RSVP required for members of the public)

              Location: GSA, 1800 F St NW, Washington DC // Room 1153

Remote (RSVP not required)

              Call-in phone: US (Toll Free): 1-866-928-2008Participant Code: 977270
              Adobe Connect: https://meet.gsa.gov/r421laomju3/

DRAFT Agenda
  • Introductions, including White House updates on Open Gov (10 min)
  • Invited speakers (30 min total):
    • Will Sullivan, GSA on e-Regulations
    • Andre Goodfriend, Dept. of State on Virtual Student Foreign Service
    • Mary Wiggins & Victoria Co, Office of Management and Budget, White House on Open Data and Data Driven Support for local communities
  • Q&A discussion with everyone (20 min)

Logistical Details for Non-US Government Visitors attending in person
  • Because of limited space, please RSVP to Alycia...@gsa.gov with subject line of "RSVP for Quarterly Public Open Gov Meeting" and look for a response to confirm there is still space for you to attend in person. Otherwise, you can call in remotely.
  • Arrive no later than 9:45 AM at GSA to allow 15-min to clear security and be escorted to the room by GSA staff.
  • Bring valid photo ID to go through security.
  • Upon arriving at GSA, please reply to your RSVP email confirmation to ensure GSA staff are there to greet you and escort you from the security entrance to the meeting room.

Alycia M. Yozzi
Office of Government-wide Policy
General Services Administration

Stephen Buckley

May 23, 2017, 9:46:37 PM5/23/17
to US Open Government
Hi Alycia,

Thanks for informing those of us interested in attending (either in-person or online) the open meeting, next Tuesday (5/30/17), of the U.S. Interagency Working Group on Open Government.  However, the meeting will be even better if we got a few more details:

1.  I suspect that, of the people who'd like to attend online, many will not be familiar with the Adobe Connect platform.  But I do know that GSA has been using online platforms for quite a while, so I'm wondering if GSA has a short web-tutorial on "How-to-Use-Adobe-Connect".  If not, then, maybe there is an archived web-session, somewhere on GSA.gov, that is a good example of what to expect with Adobe Connect?

2.  Also, what is the limit as to the number of online attendees?  50?  500?  That would be a good thing to know before we inform our members (now over 1,000) in the U.S. chapter of the International Association for Public Participation.  (BTW: Our membership doubled in 2016, primarily from an influx of government employees.)

3.  And, finally, I believe the attendees would appreciate this meeting much more if the "Invited Speakers" were to be more specific, beforehand, about the topic that each will be presenting at the meeting (see Draft Agenda, below).  For example, is there some new aspect to "e-Regulations"?  And if so, may we read about something about it, before the meeting?  I encourage those speakers to post such information (e.g., links) here, to this email-group, by replying to this message.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

best,

Stephen Buckley, #OpenGov liaison
International Assn. for Public Participation - U.S. Chapter
http://www.IAP2usa.org

Hudson Hollister

May 23, 2017, 9:54:40 PM5/23/17
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government

Hudson Hollister
Executive Director, Data Coalition
datacoalition.org

Alycia (Piazza) Yozzi

May 25, 2017, 8:53:31 AM5/25/17
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government, Andre G, William Sullivan - XFB
Hi Stephen
Great questions - and good to know what information is relevant / needed as I host the civil society meetings.

1. Besides what was shared by Hudson - you can take a look at the GSA quick guide for participants (attached).
2. The meeting space will hold 200 online - I will check into a larger option for the next quarter if needed.
3. I'm working on a more full description of the agenda items and on getting links (if relevant) to you by the end of the week.

Thanks again!

Alycia M. Yozzi
Office of Government-wide Policy
General Services Administration

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Stephen Buckley <sbuc...@igc.org> wrote:
Quick_Guide_for_Participants.pdf

Alycia (Piazza) Yozzi

May 25, 2017, 2:34:46 PM5/25/17
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government
​​
More full agenda:

William Sullivan, GSA will discussion NAP commitment to Expand Public Participation in the Development of Regulations. By leveraging the Regulations.gov website, application programming
interfaces, and the Federal Docket Management System, the the team is developing and piloting applications
to make commenting on proposed rulemakings easier and will find ways to promote commenting opportunities. Please see Eregs.github.io

Andre Goodfriend, Dept. of State will discuss the Virtual Student Foreign Service Program. His description:
Could you use extra help? Feeling the effects of budget constraints and hiring freezes?  The Virtual Student Foreign/Federal Service (VSFS) is the solution.  For the past seven years, U.S. college students have remotely assisted 30+  federal agencies at no cost through a digital internship.  Don’t miss out!

Submit a project (or two) on vsfs.state.gov between May 1 and June 10.  Then sit back and get ready for a new wave of energy and enthusiasm coming your way.  Students apply in July, interviews are in August, you make your selection by August 31, and work begins in September and continues through April/May.  Students spend ten hours per week working remotely on the unclassified projects – no badge or desk needed.

New to VSFS? Check out our FAQs.  VSFS is open to all agencies!

Invited to speak
​ers from OMB to talk to the NAP commitment​
on
​​
Open Federal Data to Benefit Local Communities

State and local governments are increasingly using Federal open data to deliver value and improve citizen services at the local level. For example, cities use postal data compiled by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to benchmark the successes of blight eradication initiatives, and to borrow effective practices from cities experiencing success. Urban planners use data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on projected sea level rise, in concert with elevation data from the U.S. Geological Survey, to set zoning and building standards that account for climate change. Additionally, state and local emergency planners rely on data feeds from the National Weather Service to trigger protocols that protect critical infrastructure as severe weather approaches. In 2015, the Administration published an
online map containing open datasets from community-based initiatives across more than 15 Federal agencies to help citizens discover the work taking place in their own communities. The Administration will continue to update the map with datasets on new initiatives to help citizens, researchers, journalists, and other stakeholders identify and track the progress of this work in a single, accessible location. The Administration will release additional Federal data to fill crucial information gaps at the local level and spur civic innovations that foster economic growth, access to healthcare, community resilience, and other entrepreneurial efforts.