RSVP: May Open Gov Working Group meeting

Meredith Stewart

May 19, 2016, 2:05:28 PM5/19/16
to US Open Government, Zarek, Corinna, Wright, Pamela

Hi!

The May Open Government Working Group meeting will be this coming Tuesday at the National Archives in Washington (or via remote access). Civil Society colleagues are invited to sit in on this quarterly meeting. If you plan to join, please reply to me (meredith...@nara.gov) off-list to let me know and indicate whether you will come in person or plan to join remotely (I will send the access information at that time). We are planning to use a web conferencing tool for slide and screen share for this meeting. Please see the agenda below.

Interagency Open Government Working Group

Tuesday, May 24

1 p.m.

National Archives Jefferson Room

The agenda will include:

  • Open Government Partnership (OGP) - We will hear about the take-aways from the OGP Steering Committee and Africa Regional Meetings and discuss the 2016 OGP Global Summit.
  • Records Management - We will hear about the current efforts to meet the requirements for the 2016 and 2019 records management deadlines.
  • Open Innovation - We'll hear on the current open innovation efforts.
  • Updates - Share your open gov related updates, flag upcoming events, etc.
  • Next Meeting Tuesday, August 23, 2016 (followed by November 15)

Thanks!

Meredith + the Open Gov Team

Meredith Stewart

Office of Innovation

National Archives and Records Administration

Stephen Buckley

May 20, 2016, 12:48:11 AM5/20/16
to US Open Government
Hi Meredith,

Thanks to you and the OpenGov Team for your response to my earlier suggestion(s) for trying out an online platform to allow for "remote participation" so as to be inclusive of those OpenGov advocates who, not being in the D.C. area, find it difficult to attend next Tuesday's meeting in-person:

For next Tuesday's meeting we will try out the use of AT&T Connect for remote screen sharing.  This is NARA's approved tool and I am hopeful that we can pull it off well for this meeting and then use it for the lightning talk portion of the rescheduled joint stakeholder consultation session.
Thank you for your investigation of tools to improve remote participation and even your offers of supporting remote tools. Since this is a Fed Gov hosted meeting we have to use tools that are agency approved and supported to use.  We'll try out AT&T Connect on Tuesday, but if another agency offers to provide support for another approved tool, we're open to trying it.

However, many people (like me) have never used the AT&T Connect platform, so it would be more successful in this trial if we knew, before the meeting, about some of its capabilities:

1.  Will the platform have a "chat-box" for sharing a question or comment with others during the time when "remote participants" are muted?  (Example: Notifying the Host if the audio is inadequate.)
2.  Will remote-participants be "unmuted" and allowed to speak during the "Updates" part of the meeting?  (And can the Host selectively un-mute and mute a particular remote-participant?)
3.  Will the session be recorded, with a link provided later for those who were unable to attend?

And thanks again for letting us try out this platform!

best,

Steve Buckley, #OpenGov liaison
International Association for Public Participation, U.S. Chapter
http://www.IAP2usa.org

Collaboration Engineer
Cape Cod, Mass.
http://www.OpenGovMetrics.com
G: 508-348-9090

=====================================

At 02:04 PM 5/19/2016, Meredith Stewart wrote:

Hi!

The May Open Government Working Group meeting will be this coming Tuesday at the National Archives in Washington (or via remote access). Civil Society colleagues are invited to sit in on this quarterly meeting. If you plan to join, please reply to me (meredith...@nara.gov ) off-list to let me know and indicate whether you will come in person or plan to join remotely (I will send the access information at that time). We are planning to use a web conferencing tool for slide and screen share for this meeting. Please see the agenda below.

Daniel Schuman

May 20, 2016, 1:53:31 PM5/20/16
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government
Stephen,

There's a video tutorial online for AT&T Connect here: https://www.business.att.com/content/mixedmedia/att-connect/index_att-connect.html

I suspect you may be interested in this video on conference tools >> go to the participants window: https://www.business.att.com/content/mixedmedia/att-connect/pc/conference_tools.html

But there's a lot more there. Much is from the perspective of the person managing the conference, but it provides insights from our (end-user) perspective as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Daniel

Daniel Schuman
Demand Progress | Policy Director

Meredith Stewart

May 20, 2016, 5:31:53 PM5/20/16
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your questions. I have responded directly to you with the access information for the meeting.

If others would like to RSVP for the Tuesday, May 24, 2016 meeting at 1:00 p.m (either in person or remote attendance), please email me (meredith...@nara.gov) and I can share the access information with you directly.

Using NARA's approved web conferencing tool, AT&T Connect, we expect to have chat capabilities. We will try to keep all lines un-muted during the meeting, unless we encounter issues with background noise affecting the audio. We will not be utilizing video and we will not be recording the session.

Participants should be able to access the web conferencing tool via the web-only (without software download), but users may prefer to download the software, which may give additional features. That download page also links to tutorials and manuals, depending on your operating software. Please keep in mind that NARA's implementation of the software may not support all of the features in the documentation.
Thanks,
Meredith

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:47 AM, Stephen Buckley <sbuc...@igc.org> wrote:

Stephen Buckley

May 20, 2016, 5:32:13 PM5/20/16
to US Open Government
Daniel,

Thanks for the information about the online platform for "remote participation" at next week's meeting, but I also have a few more questions for Meredith about "new people" RSVPing for the meeting.

Meredith:  You indicated (below) that you want people to RSVP with an email to you.  However, there might be more than a few "new people" sending you an RSVP email, after members of IAP2-USA learn about this opportunity for "remote participation" in a meeting of federal agencies on a subject (Public Participation) central to their stated profession.

So, before I tell our members (or other people) about this opportunity, please let us all (not just me) know if there are limitations for the online participants.  For example: What is the limit for the # of online participants?  Will it be a first-come-first-seated until the limit is reached?  Is it only for "civil society colleagues" (and if so, then who might that include or exclude)?

Since the meeting is next Tuesday, I plan to share the invitation soon so that our members can still make a timely decision about taking advantage of this new option to participate online.  Additional clarifications, if any, related to RSVPing and "remote participation" should be posted here to this group here ASAP.   Thanks very much.

Appreciatively,

Steve Buckley, #OpenGov liaison
International Association for Public Participation, U.S. Chapter
http://www.IAP2usa.org

Collaboration Engineer
Cape Cod, Mass.
http://www.OpenGovMetrics.com
G: 508-348-9090

At 01:53 PM 5/20/2016, Daniel Schuman wrote:
Stephen,

There's a video tutorial online for AT&T Connect here:Â https://www.business.att.com/content/mixedmedia/att-connect/index_att-connect.html

I suspect you may be interested in this video on conference tools >> go to the participants window:Â https://www.business.att.com/content/mixedmedia/att-connect/pc/conference_tools.html

But there's a lot more there. Much is from the perspective of the person managing the conference, but it provides insights from our (end-user) perspective as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Daniel

Daniel Schuman
Demand Progress |Â Policy Director

Meredith Stewart

May 20, 2016, 5:57:08 PM5/20/16
to Stephen Buckley, US Open Government
Hi Stephen,

This NARA approved web conferencing tool supports more than 100 participants, so we should be able to handle additional attendees from the IAP2-USA association.

Please have additional participants RSVP directly to me so that I can monitor the numbers and share the remote access information with them directly. Please do not share the remote access information that I shared directly with you as an attendee to any listservs or web or social media posts.

Thanks,
Meredith

Meredith Stewart
Office of Innovation
National Archives and Records Administration

Stephen Buckley

May 23, 2016, 5:18:24 PM5/23/16
to Meredith Stewart, US Open Government
Hi Meredith,

I can't find the reference right now, but I strongly recommend that you begin the "remote participation" with all the participants muted.  If someone online needs to say something, then they can type something in the chatbox.  Otherwise, it only takes a few inadvertent "heavy-breathers" to compromise the audio for all the others.

Also, because this is a trial for "remote participation" for which I have been advocating, I have decided to attend in-person, to help in any possible way to show the value of using it again.  See you there!