Using Google Analytics server-side for API metrics

Joe Gilvary, USPTO

Oct 20, 2015, 1:57:09 PM10/20/15
to US Government APIs
Happy Tuesday,

Has anyone looked at tracking activity on services with GA? We have an API team who want to use GA to do tracking from the sever side code. I see some Google documents online on doing things like this, so the technical aspect is pretty well covered, but I’m more concerned with the benefit to the business.

Once we’re looking at activities on both the server and the client, how do we decide what metrics to track? How do we interpret them? Anyone know of best (or even widespread) practices for defining and naming server-side events, dimensions, etc. in GA for cases like this? Is there something else that people recommend to track usage metrics for APIs?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Gilvary
Web Management Branch
Collaborative Services Division
United States Patent and Trademark Office