Fw: geoviz-hackathon

John Scott

Oct 16, 2015, 12:44:04 PM10/16/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
This weekend in DC area

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/geoviz-hackathon-registration-19024565989

How can USGS communicate science and visualize data in a more engaging and interactive way?

USGS needs your help to develop interactive visualizations and stories on three projects related to (1) ENERGY - The water and chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing, (2) MINERALS - The lifecycle of critical minerals and rare earth elements, and (2) ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH - The toxic contamination sources after Hurricane Sandy. Produce proof-of-concept visualizations or interactive stories with USGS data as well as provide recommendations on how USGS datasets could be better organized, architected, and presented. You can find more information about these projects on Hackpad and Slack.

We are looking for developers, designers, data scientists, mappers, journalists, subject matter experts, as well as curious and concerned citizens. If you are in the Washington, DC area, come out to the #GeoViz Hackathon hosted at SynGlyphX near the Crystal City Metro in Arlington, VA and enjoy the FREE food and schwag from our sponsors. There is also FREE Public Parking in the underground garage near Row C (220 20th St S, Arlington, VA). But we also welcome any virtual volunteers around the world and will be sure to make your presence visible through video conferencing during the hackathon.

This hackathon is a great opportunity to meet people from different backgrounds and perspectives as well as learn more about the various visualization tools and companies. We understand if you cannot attend the whole weekend, so feel free to drop by on-site or on-line when you can. If you are in the DC area, feel free to join us for drinks in the evening at Highline RxR (2010 Crystal Dr, Arlington, VA 22202).

If you have trouble getting in the building feel free to text message 630 729 4216

Please register ASAP so that we can plan for food and space.

Spread the Word!            Hashtag #GeoViz          http://bit.ly/geoviz15

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM, John Scott <jo...@selectpress.net> wrote:

--
Dave Warner MD PhD