Diagrams for combining multiple API calls?

Ryan Day (BDFE)

Oct 10, 2017, 9:12:02 AM10/10/17
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I would like to find out what diagrams you might recommend to describe multiple API calls that are combined to produce a result?

For example, call API A, get a ZIP code, call API B, retrieve records that match that ZIP code.

I can use a sequence diagram to show the flow of this in the program logic. But I wondered if there was something more visual that showed the combination of the sources.

Thanks,

Ryan Day | Office of Corporate IT Services (IC) | GSA IT

ph...@dukecitydigital.com

Oct 11, 2017, 6:19:08 AM10/11/17
to US Government APIs
Hi Ryan, I can recommend a JavaScript pattern of chaining two API get requests, such that the second call is made after the first resolves.  The exact pattern would probably depend on how many records you need to keep at once, if you're storing them to a database, etc. .

Per your request for something visual, below is a link to a tool that essentially uses a zip code record and a dataset that matches that zip code to produce a result.  I can modify the tool or help you with your logic flow if need be, feel free to reach out.

Ben Morris

Oct 17, 2017, 9:01:30 PM10/17/17
to ph...@dukecitydigital.com, US Government APIs
I am partial to communication diagram, which is pretty equivalent to the sequence diagram, but just a different visual organization (grouped on entities/services vs. organized by time). http://www.uml-diagrams.org/communication-diagrams.html