Popular Data.gov APIs to Turn into Spreadsheet Functions?

Paul Katsen

Apr 5, 2015, 11:20:02 PM4/5/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
What are 2-3 popular Data.gov API endpoints that would be great to turn into easy spreadsheet functions?

Here's what using them would look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZ37ove83k

^^ that example is using Chicago opendata API for getting recent crimes.

Let me know! I think it'd make the API much more accessible to people if it was as easy to use as =SUM()... and I'm happy to post some popular ones first and see if it helps.

Rebecca Williams

Apr 6, 2015, 1:31:34 PM4/6/15
to Paul Katsen, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul!

To clarify, are you looking for Data.gov CKAN API endpoints, or endpoints for popular Government APIs that are featured on Data.gov?

The Data.gov CKAN API is: http://catalog.data.gov/api/3/ (see the CKAN documentation linked here)

But Data.gov features a ton of Government APIs that many folks on this list are expert in, see: http://catalog.data.gov/dataset?q=res_format%3Aapi

Rebecca Williams
Senior Engagement Liaison | Data.gov

Paul Katsen

Mark Silverberg

Apr 6, 2015, 1:47:06 PM4/6/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com, pa...@blockspring.com
Paul - as you might now, the vast majority of datasets/resources on data.gov are not datastore (ckan plugin for *data*, not just *metadata* API) enabled.

Have you looked at this view below that are CSVs sorted by popularity?

Also, you know that a lot of the datasets on data.gov are also hosted on external data portals too, right? Some examples are data.cms.gov, data.medicare.gov, data.healthcare.gov, data.imls.gov, data.atf.gov, and more.

Mark

Paul Katsen

Apr 6, 2015, 3:46:19 PM4/6/15
to Mark Silverberg, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark - Thanks for the view of CSVs by popularity. If that is the best way to prioritize these datasets, then I can publish the top ~5  datasets on that list to the #opendata library on blockspring. End-users will be able to "jump right in" to government data without using a UI or reading docs, just search and insert the function they need into their sheet.

As far as implementation, since the other sites you mentioned are on socrata, that will make things easier (just being able to call socrata endpoints). But honestly implementation isn't really an issue. We can start directly from data.gov datasets/resources as well...

PS - For background, we've received user emails asking to make doing stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZ37ove83k (start to finish - pull & filter data, explore, and share interactive visualization - in 4 minutes), possible for more government datasets. That's why we're excited to figure out the best place to start.