Re-Launch of the BusinessUSA Developer Page

Amin Mehr

Feb 18, 2015, 1:35:12 PM2/18/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Announcing the re-launch of the BusinessUSA Developer Page!!

BusinessUSA has put in energy to make our resources developer-friendly. In the new microsite (seen here: http://business.usa.gov/developer), you will find a series of new features: better API documentation, easier navigation, feedback options for end users, and information on how and where BusinessUSA (as a platform) also utilizes external API's.

BusinessUSA is a platform for information related to businesses from government resources. Currently, BusinessUSA consumes over 25 API's from other government entities (seen here: http://business.usa.gov/developer/about-external-sources/). From our experience we understand the importance of proper documentation and API maintenance. We essentially dog food our own API's as other developers would. For example, our mobile app uses our Content API to publish our programs and services in formats for iOS and Android apps.

To gain insight into further improvements, we engaged Gray Brooks and developers from 18F to run a usability session focused on our publicly available API's. Furthermore, BusinessUSA conducted an internal audit with respect to Play 13 from the Digital Services Playbook to ensure that we were implementing best practices on these issues.
From efforts over the last several weeks, we wanted to share the following highlights:
  • First, we now have a GitHub repo with open issues posted for the community (seen here: https://github.com/BusinessUSA/BusinessUSA-Usability-Feedback/issues)
  • Second, we leveraged data.gov's API key registration for accessing BusinessUSA. It's a good example of re-using code developed for government rather than re-inventing the wheel
  • Third, in addition to obvious benefits of API keys (i.e. user control, push notifications during maintenance windows, etc), we also want to collect analytics around API usage to better understand the needs of the community. The dashboard provided by data.gov will allow for us to gather information necessary for further development
  • Fourth, we have now disclosed the source code for a shell of BusinessUSA's platform (seen here: https://github.com/BusinessUSA/BusinessUSA-OpenSource). While it does not fit the conventional definition of an open-sourced project, it at least offers other government entities (such as state and local governments) a first step in recreating a BusinessUSA for their level of government and locality. As this project gets traction, we will make better decisions about supporting this in the community
Thanks for reading this [long] email. I would ask for your feedback on our recent improvements and please disseminate this into other communities where this would be interesting. At the same time, please point me to other government entities that are in development of public API's and web services relevant to business and exporting growth.

Best wishes,
Amin

Amin Mehr

Technology Innovation & Strategy, BusinessUSA

(202) 760-1080 | amin...@businessusa.gov

business.usa.gov

Download our new Mobile App on iTunes and Google Play!