Anyone using RAML to build their API - any thoughts?

John Jediny

Dec 9, 2015, 10:44:25 AM12/9/15
to US Government APIs

Jay Fielding

Dec 9, 2015, 11:32:49 AM12/9/15
to US Government APIs
I've worked with the FCC who is using RAML and they have a RAML project on github, see https://github.com/FCCdev/raml-mocker.

Also I've been working with Treasury and USDA as they are starting to use RAML too.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have questions about using RAML.

Jay

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 10:44:25 AM UTC-5, John Jediny wrote:
http://raml.org/

Joshua Carp - XFB

Dec 9, 2015, 12:42:38 PM12/9/15
to US Government APIs
We're using swagger to document our api at beta.fec.gov. We evaluated the usual suspects (swagger, raml, api blueprint) before settling on swagger. All three formats seemed like they would be adequate for our use case, but swagger had (and may still have) the largest community and most extensive tooling. For example, we're using a python library called apispec [ http://apispec.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ ] to automatically generate swagger markup for our models, so that we rarely have to write documentation by hand.

Interested to hear if others have different opinions on this!

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 10:44 AM, John Jediny <john....@gmail.com> wrote:
http://raml.org/

Philip Ashlock - XAAB

Dec 9, 2015, 1:15:09 PM12/9/15
to Joshua Carp - XFB, US Government APIs
Just to concur with what Joshua said, it does still seems like Swagger has the bigger community and it definitely seems like Swagger has the widest adoption in government. I've mostly seen Swagger used for documenting APIs rather than developing API mocks, but services like https://getsandbox.com/ certainly support that with Swagger and most other specs. Personally I've also been using Swagger as part of a validator to test that an API implementation follows a Swagger definition (to help establish standardized interoperable APIs). It's also notable that Swagger appears to be the basis of a new broad consortium to properly establish it as the open standard for describing REST APIs - https://openapis.org/

Eric Mill

Dec 9, 2015, 3:09:18 PM12/9/15
to Philip Ashlock - XAAB, Joshua Carp - XFB, US Government APIs
Preface: I've never used RAML. But one thing that bothered me about RAML when I first heard about it is that they have a pretty strict trademark enforcement policy that completely ignores fair use principles:

> Domain Names -- You must not use RAML or any confusingly similar phrase in a domain name. For instance "www.RAMLsoftware.com" is not allowed. If you wish to use such a domain name for a user or developer group, please contact us and we will be glad to discuss a license for a suitable domain name. Because of the many persons who, unfortunately, seek to spoof, swindle or deceive the community by using confusing domain names, we must be very strict about this rule.

I put a small complaint about this on ramlsucks.com for a while (I eventually let it expire), not because I actually was certain that RAML sucks, but because operating that domain name is not a right they can take away. :)

-- Eric