Recreation One Stop Recreation Information Database (RIDB) API

Dan Parker (Dan.Parker@nsitellc.com)

Feb 6, 2015, 2:12:42 PM2/6/15
The USDA Forest Service Recreation Information Database (RIDB) team is currently finalizing development of a RESTful API. The API will provide public access to data for federal recreation areas, facilities, campsites, tours, and permits.

Links:

We welcome your feedback as we work to finalize our development of the RIDB API.

Thanks in advance,
Dan Parker

Trey White

Feb 6, 2015, 2:27:48 PM2/6/15
to dan.p...@nsitellc.com
Hey Dan...

#cleanDocs  #twoThumbsUp

I know you mentioned in the intro that federal agencies provide and are responsible the quality of data, but I think I only saw GET endpoints.  Are they providing the data to you guys some other way other than the APIs?  It saddens me a little when I don't see the POST/PUT/PATCH/DELETEs.

Overall, looks really good!!

Dan Parker (Dan.Parker@nsitellc.com)

Feb 6, 2015, 2:40:16 PM2/6/15
to dan.p...@nsitellc.com
Trey,

Thanks for the kind words on the docs. The agencies currently use web services to insert/update/delete their data. Some use manual admin interfaces, but we're encouraging everyone to move toward the automated approaches.  We are planning to go live with PUT/GET/DELETE endpoints as well, but we'll be focusing more on working with the agencies on them once the GETs are deployed. Thanks for asking!

Regards,
Dan
To post to this group, send email to us-govern...@googlegroups.com.

Gray Brooks

Feb 11, 2015, 11:46:49 PM2/11/15
to dan.p...@nsitellc.com
I'm still hoping to dig into issues for this API more (and encourage others to as well!), but also wanted to share this post on the API's release.

I haven’t actually hacked on the endpoints, but I took a stroll through the docs, and my first impression was it is well designed, and robust, including resources for organizations involved with the RDB, recreational areas, facilities, campsites, permit entrances, tours, activities, events, media, and links. The RIDB documentation also includes details on errors, pagination, version, and a data dictionary, and the on-boarding was frictionless when looking to get a key.

Good praise and well deserved.  We should all keep after the example of the Recreation.gov team.

Gray

Dan Parker (Dan.Parker@nsitellc.com)

Feb 12, 2015, 12:06:51 PM2/12/15
to dan.p...@nsitellc.com
Great feedback! Thanks so much for sharing. We're very glad the RIDB team seems to be on the right track with our API.

Dan Parker

danno...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2015, 10:14:22 PM4/2/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com, dan.p...@nsitellc.com
Just a quick update on the new RIDB API. We went live in early March and the public response so far has been positive!

The RIDB team will be participating in the myAmerica Developer Summit in Washington D.C. the weekend of April 11-12. Attendees will be using the RIDB API as a data source along with other federal recreation data sources as well. The goal is to focus on developing products, services and other resources that promote and protect America's public lands and waters.

More information on the myAmerica Developer Summit can be found here: http://openglobe.github.io/myamerica-devsummit/

Thanks for the support on the U.S. Government APIs Google Group as we worked to finalize our development of the RIDB API.

Regards,
Dan Parker