API for a comprehensive listing of US Gov't API?

Irakli Nadareishvili

May 3, 2015, 10:30:07 PM5/3/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Where can one get a comprehensive listing of Gov't APIs and corresponding URL endpoints? As far as I can see, data.gov is way more about data-sets than APIs.

Thanks,

Irakli

Kin Lane

May 4, 2015, 3:31:56 AM5/4/15
to Irakli Nadareishvili, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
I"ve been working to pull this together Irakli.

The core work in government has been around data inventory, and data.json.

I'm slowly going through and creating APIs.json + Swagger for each one and hanging here - http://federal-government.apievangelist.com/stack.html

Work in Progress ;-)

Irakli N

May 4, 2015, 10:22:35 AM5/4/15
to Kin Lane, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow, Kin!

This is super-valuable stuff. I knew you had done work in this space, but still amazed at the amount you clearly accomplished. Truly awesome!

Just out of curiosity: do you think there could be a special-access/track created at http://apis.io/ for Gov’t APIs so that agencies can crowd-source this content and not rely purely on your hard work? Apis.io seems like a perfect tool for this, as far as data can be validated to avoid spam.

Irakli

Philip Ashlock - XAAB

May 4, 2015, 10:24:07 AM5/4/15
to Kin Lane, Irakli Nadareishvili, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
The major federal agencies (CFO Act Agencies) are now required to inventory their APIs as part of their data.json files which feed into Data.gov based on the guidance provided at:

- http://18f.github.io/API-All-the-X/pages/apis_in_data_catalogs

This is still a work in progress and not all metadata is fully or properly following this guidance yet, but currently you can view many APIs that have been included (not all) with the following filter: catalog.data.gov/dataset?res_format=api

Using the Data.gov API, you can run this query as http://catalog.data.gov/api/3/action/package_search?q=res_format:api

Currently APIs are listed as a "format" in the underlying CKAN platform, but in the future  they'll likely be distinguished as a "resource_type" but the means of filtering and generating this query would otherwise be the same. This change is being tracked with https://github.com/GSA/data.gov/issues/589

--
Philip Ashlock
Chief Architect, Data.gov

Kin Lane

May 4, 2015, 10:26:48 AM5/4/15
to Irakli N, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Irakli. If I could just get my cloning API working, I could do more! ;-)

That is the ultimate goal is to create a federal version of APIs.io, also working to create a city version with some folks.

Not trying to duplicate the data.gov work, but add the API layer, and hopefully encourage folks to deploy APIs from some of the data, to augment.

Once I'm done in EU, I'll give this another push, and publish the v1 of APIs.io for federal gove.

David Berlind

May 4, 2015, 10:27:02 AM5/4/15
to Irakli Nadareishvili, us-government-apis
Irakli,

Another place to look is on ProgrammableWeb.com.  For example, if you narrow your search to government APIs, we show about 616, not all of which are US Govt but most of which we have endpoints for.

David Berlind
ProgrammableWeb.com

Ali Talib - IQ0ED

May 4, 2015, 10:28:14 AM5/4/15
to David Berlind, Irakli Nadareishvili, us-government-apis
thanks to all of you...

love the idea of a federal version of APIs.io,

Thank You,

Talib Ali Asger M
GSA FAS-OCIO

Irakli N

May 4, 2015, 10:31:36 AM5/4/15
to David Berlind, us-government-apis
Thanks David!

From: David Berlind <da...@berlind.org>
Reply: David Berlind <da...@berlind.org>>
Date: May 4, 2015 at 10:27:01 AM
To: Irakli Nadareishvili <ira...@gmail.com>>
Cc: us-government-apis <us-govern...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject:  Re: [Gov't APIs] API for a comprehensive listing of US Gov't API?

Irakli N

May 4, 2015, 10:32:59 AM5/4/15
to Philip Ashlock - XAAB, Kin Lane, us-govern...@googlegroups.com
Philip,

didn’t know that about data.gov. It’s super helpful. Many thanks!

Irakli

From: Philip Ashlock - XAAB <philip....@gsa.gov>
Reply: Philip Ashlock - XAAB <philip....@gsa.gov>>
Date: May 4, 2015 at 10:24:07 AM