Using agency taxonomies?

Ryan Day (BDFE)

Jan 4, 2017, 3:09:46 PM1/4/17
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if any agencies are using a taxonomy in the design of their APIs? For instance in the URL structure or naming of objects, elements, etc?

Ryan Day | API Developer | GSA Digital Service (detail) | GSA IT

Joe Wicentowski

Jan 4, 2017, 3:26:40 PM1/4/17
to Ryan Day (BDFE), us-government-apis
Hi Ryan,

My office developed a taxonomy in our subject area - the history of U.S. foreign relations - and have been steadily applying it to our new and existing datasets and publications:

The underlying data is available in our GitHub repository:

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Joe

--
Joseph C. Wicentowski, Ph.D.
Digital History Advisor

Kin Lane

Jan 4, 2017, 3:52:29 PM1/4/17
to US Government APIs
While at Department of Veterans Affairs I was defining government services using JSON-LD and Schema.org - http://apievangelist.com/2013/11/29/government-services-schemas-with-jsonld/

Now I'm just doing with OpenAPI Spec, and APIs.json externally, not with any agency support (sometimes with suggestion) - https://apievangelist.com/2015/07/25/taking-a-look-at-whats-next-for-the-environmental-protection-agency-epa-envirofacts-data-service-api/

Kin Lane
@apievangelist