DOL's new public API - Open Sourced too

Pulsifer, Michael - OPA

Jun 29, 2015, 3:52:52 PM6/29/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com, OPEN...@listserv.gsa.gov, Philip Ashlock - XAAB
Our original API has served us well, but ODATA can only take us so far.  We have a lot of ideas of where we can take this.  It’s been a long time coming, thanks to a reorganization within our OCIO and the datacenter consolidation project, but we’re now live.  We’ll gradually deprecate old V1 datasets and move them to V2.  Speaking of V2, we’ve open-sourced this project and we’ve come up with a (hopefully catchy) product name of “Quarry.”

We’re building it as generically as possible to ensure that any agency that wants to use it can do so with as little effort as possible.

We’ve rolled out some new datasets from our collection of enforcement data to start: http://developer.dol.gov/health-and-safety/dol-osha-enforcement/

We’re continually rolling out incremental updates to the supporting sites.

Comments, suggestions, and pull requests are always welcome.

Mike Pulsifer

Technical Manager

Division of Enterprise Communications

Office of Public Affairs

U.S. Department of Labor

desk: (202) 693-4946

mobile: (202) 256-1474

Gray Brooks

Jun 29, 2015, 4:03:06 PM6/29/15
to Pulsifer, Michael - OPA, us-govern...@googlegroups.com, OPEN...@listserv.gsa.gov, Philip Ashlock - XAAB

An entire cabinet level department doing APIs right.  Hell yes.

Great work, Labor.

Gray

------------------------------

{
  "title": "Sr. API Strategist",
  "team": "18F",
  "company": "GSA",
  "cell": "205.541.2245",
  "links": [{
    "name": "/Developer Program",
    "url": "https://pages.18f.gov/API-All-the-X"
  }, {
    "name": "US Government API listserve",
    "url": "https://bit.ly/apilistservedc"
  }]
}

Bethany Quinn

Jun 30, 2015, 3:22:23 PM6/30/15
to us-govern...@googlegroups.com, OPEN...@listserv.gsa.gov, philip....@gsa.gov
Hi Mike - so glad to see DOL doing more with its data, and thank you SO much for all the great and important work you do! Question - will this allow "fuzzier" searches than is currently allowed on DOL's enforcement data site? (i.e. will you be able to search for McDonalds and also get McDonald's, McDonalds Inc., McDonalds, Inc., etc.)
OSHA's old search allowed you to do that [partial searches], but the new DOL enforcement data site doesn't and it's a bit maddening for users/researchers...
Including subsidiaries in the search would be even better, though I assume that's still a ways off.
Let me know. Thanks!
- Bethany