Fwd: No SSL!? NO EXCUSES!!!

AJ ONeal (Home)

Jan 31, 2015, 2:02:48 PM1/31/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
Hey guys,

Is anyone willing to make a bare bones github repo that demonstrates how to start an https server with dummy ssl certs?

Mozilla's LetsEncrypt.org inspired me to get up a zero-config in node.js, and I'd like to be able to link to a ruby example as well.

If that sounds interesting to you, but you're not sure how to create certs and such, I've got dummy certs already in the node repo [0], and I've created a screencast here:

I'm also looking for python, go, and other examples.

Thanks if you can help... and remember to encrypt! :-)

AJ ONeal

Jan 31, 2015, 5:56:01 PM1/31/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
With ruby if I wanted to set up SSL locally, I'd tell whatever webserver I'm using that I want it to load the certs and run on an SSL port.

Puma for example would need a config directive or a command line option:

People don't really use webrick for production stuff these days, but the ruby equivalent of what you've done is a webrick server with configuration for ssl, here is the example:

Also you can get a free public SSL cert from these guys:

If you've got your own CA that you issue certificates with, you can install the CA in the mac keychain and those security warnings about untrusted sites will stop showing, useful for development and private networks. That mozilla project looks great though, I'll definitely use it.

-Jeff

--
http://utruby.org
http://groups.google.com/group/urug

please prefix the subject with [JOB] when regarding job opportunities
---