Self-hosted CI server

Adrian Madrid

Feb 2, 2015, 7:30:30 PM2/2/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I've been under-impressed with the current hosted CI solutions out there. Takes too much time and effort to get our app running and passing. Are you using a self-hosted CI server you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance,

AEM

Daniel Evans

Feb 2, 2015, 8:57:06 PM2/2/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I've sunk a lot of time into testing out many different options and it pains me to admit that Jenkins is the best I've found. It may seem clunky but it is reasonably solid, very well supported and broadly adopted with tons of plugins.

Other than that I've tried numerous ones that were either too buggy, un-maintained or just generally unusable.

--
http://utruby.org
http://groups.google.com/group/urug

please prefix the subject with [JOB] when regarding job opportunities
---

Daniel Evans

Michael Ries

Feb 2, 2015, 10:00:38 PM2/2/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
We recently started using a self-hosted Travis CI instance and it has been an awesome experience so far. Just as easy to get a project up and running on the self-hosted Travis as it is on the hosted Travis.

David Moulton

Feb 3, 2015, 10:26:17 AM2/3/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
We maintain a large Jenkins installation here, and it works pretty well for us.

Adrian Madrid

Feb 3, 2015, 11:25:48 AM2/3/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Have you found any docs/howtos on how to get it running? The GH page is just a never-ending list of projects. I was impressed by their hosted UI though.

Kenny Trionfo

Feb 3, 2015, 10:42:43 PM2/3/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I have echo and agree with Daniel. Lots of cumbersome stuff out here. We're currently trying to get TeamCity up and running and it sounds like it's just as tuff as Jenkins (though supposedly robust). Not fun. Totally anticipating someone coming along and fixing this problem soon. There's an opp there.

Adrian Madrid

Feb 4, 2015, 12:28:03 PM2/4/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
Trying to set Jenkins up today. Will let you all know how that goes. Man, it is ugly though.

Adrian Madrid
aema...@gmail.com

Jon St. John

Feb 4, 2015, 12:30:49 PM2/4/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
We've had quite a bit of success with CircleCI.  Having built a highly-customized continuous integration system on top of Jenkins in the past, I'm enjoying the lack of maintenance and development using CircleCI. Very responsive support, as well.

Jon

Charles Wood

Feb 4, 2015, 12:54:24 PM2/4/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
I remember Jenkins doing pretty much everything we needed, but also remember a lot of pain getting it set up. Good luck.

Benjamin Bytheway

Feb 4, 2015, 1:24:23 PM2/4/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
If you use gitlab, the setup of gitlab-ci was extremely easy.  It isn't as featureful as jenkins, but so easy to add projects and get things building.

Adrian Madrid

Feb 19, 2015, 11:15:54 AM2/19/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
So to give everyone an update: we have been running Jenkins for some time now and we are very happy with it. Took me 1-2 days to get it going but it's been worth it.

Adrian Madrid
aema...@gmail.com

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Adrian Madrid <aema...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jake Mallory

Feb 19, 2015, 12:23:58 PM2/19/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Nice.

We just set up Bamboo and Stash ($10 ea) in hopes of getting an easy setup where pull requests will trigger a build of the merged branch. Close but no luck. We will decide tomorrow wether to stick with them or not. They are nice tools otherwise. Nothing fancy for the ruby repos but they work well for our process.

Jake

Adrian Madrid

Feb 19, 2015, 3:34:55 PM2/19/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
PRs were the part that took me longer. And still can't get them right: if you update your PR then Jenkins always takes the original commit for some reason. So we pull and submit new PRs whenever we need to change them. But all in all it is working nicely.

BTW if you are using Jenkins and OSX you gotta checkout CCMenu [1]. I love how I get notifications and ETAs on builds with that.

Adrian Madrid
aema...@gmail.com