April UV.rb - Code and Tell

Michael Ries

Mar 20, 2015, 1:45:44 AM3/20/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
For our April meeting I would like to try a slightly new format from our normal code kata style meetings. Instead of writing code at the meetup I want to try a format where we get lots of volunteers to spend 4-8 minutes showing a cool idea that they have learned recently about programming. Presentations don't have to be about ruby. If you've been playing with Racket, Haskell, Clojure, etc bring an example of a problem you've solved in that language and why you liked it. If you figured out a project euler problem recently, share your solution.

This last meeting seemed like a lot of its success was because we had a greater variety of people talking, with less time per speaker. Let's see if we can create that same feeling about sharing code with one another.

Warning: In order to keep things relatively on-schedule I will be warning speakers at the 7min mark and cutting them off entirely at 8min so you'll have to plan your time carefully and stick to a single idea as much as possible.

Please reply to this thread if you have an idea of something you would like to share (or feel free to email me off-list if you want to keep it a surprise)

~Michael

Clinton De Young

Mar 20, 2015, 1:56:48 AM3/20/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Michael,

I can share some information on Elixir, if you'd like.

Clinton

Clinton De Young

--
http://utruby.org
http://groups.google.com/group/urug

please prefix the subject with [JOB] when regarding job opportunities
---

Michael Ries

Mar 20, 2015, 1:59:59 AM3/20/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
BTW if anyone is interested in hosting the meeting or supplying food please let me know. MX is happy to continue sponsoring the meetings, but we want to make sure other people (or organizations) are participating as well.

Clinton -
Thanks, you beat me too the punch on Elixir :)

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Michael Ries <mic...@riesd.com> wrote:

Clinton De Young

Mar 20, 2015, 2:02:31 AM3/20/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
There is a lot to Elixir. I'll focus on pattern matching if you want to cover something else.

Clinton De Young

Michael Ries

Mar 20, 2015, 1:34:23 PM3/20/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Also if anyone is interested in presenting, but not sure what to talk about here is a hit list of cool things I have run across recently. If it jogs your memory or just looks interesting to you feel free to grab it and volunteer to present for a few minutes on it. The idea here isn't to be an expert on the topic, just to show off how cool and shiny it is.

* a cool exploration of doing binary stuff in Erlang https://medium.com/@jlouis666/solving-the-go-challenge-1-in-erlang-8b1e0a0a5044
* datomic (http://www.datomic.com/) a database that does immutability
* clojurescript (https://github.com/clojure/clojurescript/wiki/Quick-Start) is a cool alternative to writing vanilla javascript. The tooling has been getting a lot better recently

Garrett Thornburg

Mar 21, 2015, 4:09:57 PM3/21/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to show off a side project in Clojure if anyone is interested.

Michael Ries

Mar 23, 2015, 11:54:22 AM3/23/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Clojure sounds good to me.

I'll try to show something quick about generating SVGs + live update with Elixir/Phoenix

Michael Ries

Mar 24, 2015, 11:55:47 AM3/24/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
We've had multiple people in the past express interest in recording the UV.rb meetings. I promised to look into it and what I found was that I'm not qualified and not super interested in making the logistics happen in order to do this. Does anyone have enough interest in recordings to actually make this happen? I think it could be valuable for the people who can't make it to the meetings and for people who prepare a presentation and would like to have a record of their presentation style when submitting to conferences.

If anyone is interested in making this happen please speak up here or ping me off list.

Mike Moore

Mar 24, 2015, 12:44:46 PM3/24/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
I've recorded meetings in the past. And I have some experience with recording MWRC for 9 years. Setting up cameras and a capture device is a pain, as is the editing. I think the easiest would be to hold a google hangout and have each presenter connected to it. You can record the google hangout straight to youtube. And folks that can't be there in person can still participate on the hangout.

Michael Ries

Mar 24, 2015, 12:59:17 PM3/24/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we would setup a capture device (not going for confreaks quality here), but even getting decent audio working can be tricky which is why I'm deferring to someone with more expertise (and fewer newborns) than me. A google hangouts on air with a decent webcam might be a good solution for now. It lets us do something basic at first and decide if it is worth figuring out something more complex in the future.

Neil Oler

Mar 25, 2015, 11:43:06 AM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
How big of a room is this event usually held in? I've got extensive audio experience, and depending on room size, I think we could find an easy, low cost solution (chances are I might already have the equipment).

Michael Ries

Mar 25, 2015, 12:18:10 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
The room is probably 50'x35'. Carpet floor and plump couches (dampens some of the sound?).

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Neil Oler <neil...@gmail.com> wrote:
How big of a room is this event usually held in? I've got extensive audio experience, and depending on room size, I think we could find an easy, low cost solution (chances are I might already have the equipment).

Neil Oler

Mar 25, 2015, 12:52:39 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
What's the format of the meetings? Is the concern that there is a lot of audience participation and so you want to capture all of the space equally or is it just one presenter (or one person standing in the presentation space) at a time so you just need that area mic'd up?

Michael Ries

Mar 25, 2015, 12:58:54 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Recording just a single presenter would be fine. We can have the presenter repeat questions when the audience starts participating (and we can leave out all the audience trolling).

Neil Oler

Mar 25, 2015, 1:02:25 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Nice, that makes it way easier. Heck, this could be done with a simple USB mic on the computer that's doing the Google hangout. I've got a great mic that you'd be welcome to borrow (I'd be happy to attend the event anyhow, as I want to ramp up on Ruby and Rails so I can get on the next tier of the salary survey ;) ).

Michael Ries

Mar 25, 2015, 1:07:58 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the first presenter for Code and Tell night is "Neil Oler - How I Record UV.rb Events (and grow awesome facial hair)"

Neil Oler

Mar 25, 2015, 1:12:43 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
I'm down. When and where?

Michael Ries

Mar 25, 2015, 1:50:49 PM3/25/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
April 14 7pm - 9pm
No one else has offered to host the meeting so it will probably end up being at the usual place (MX offices on the 3rd floor https://www.google.com/maps/place/Moneydesktop/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x874d900620024653:0x8e2dbb890d30bbfa?gl=US&hl=en-US)