Co-Working Thursdays

Charles Wood

May 12, 2015, 4:02:16 PM5/12/15
to Utah Ruby User Group, UtahJS
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at starting a co-working meetup every Thursday. I'd like to move it around a bit, so if you know some place that has wifi, tables, and doesn't mind folks hanging around all day I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sean Clark Hess

May 12, 2015, 4:24:22 PM5/12/15
to UtahJS, Utah Ruby User Group
I work at Starbucks on 3900 S and 900 E almost every day. Ordering tea or an Americano every day is cheaper than paid coworking, the baristas are super nice, they have great wifi and a good table. I stay all day.

--
Group meets on the 1st Thursday and 3rd Tuesday of each month. See http://utahjs.com/location/ for more info.
---

Nemus

May 12, 2015, 4:51:43 PM5/12/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
With a membership to 801labs you could meet there during the day.

801 Labs
353 East 200 South Suite #B
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Charles Wood <ch...@teachmetocode.com> wrote:

--
http://utruby.org
http://groups.google.com/group/urug

please prefix the subject with [JOB] when regarding job opportunities
---

Charles Wood

May 12, 2015, 5:28:07 PM5/12/15
to UtahJS, Utah Ruby User Group
I'm in Northern Utah Valley.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Ryan Hess <hess....@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you looking for something in Salt Lake valley, or Utah valley?

Evan Johnson

May 13, 2015, 12:50:01 PM5/13/15
to uta...@googlegroups.com, ur...@googlegroups.com
I don't really have any suggestions for where to go, unfortunately, but I have an anecdotal story: While I was in Omaha I was part of a group that met for "#coworkingWednesdays" at a coffee shop. The shop was kind of out-of-the-way and didn't get a lot of traffic. We got to the know the owner, who appreciated the business even though we didn't buy much. They didn't serve food there, but we would usually all head out together at lunch time to get food somewhere else, then come back. It was very informal, people wold come and go during the day, and usually the group was quite small. It was a blast.

I would be interested in a weekly coworking meetup in the downtown SLC or Sugarhouse area. My suggestion for a downtown location is Salt Lake Roasting company, since they have a lot of seating upstairs.

I will say some of the new co-working spaces in downtown SLC are quite reasonable - I think it's only $175/month for shared desk space at Church & State, and I currently have do 40 hours a month at the Impact Hub (I come in about once a week) for $80. They have free coffee.

But these don't do you much good if you live down in Draper or something, and only want to cowork 1 day a week!

One final note: I came across an interesting startup the other day: http://sparechair.me. It looks like it's aiming to me an AirBnB but for office/coworking space. There's almost no one on the service, but I like the idea.

Cheers,
Evan

Charles Wood

May 13, 2015, 1:25:24 PM5/13/15
to UtahJS, Utah Ruby User Group
I figure we can move it around for a few weeks and then see if/where we want to settle.

I could see this growing into a co-working space, but for right now, I just want the interaction and work environment. If the group decides it wants a specific type of location, then we'll nail one down.

Thanks for the example too. That makes me feel a little better about doing coffee-shops.

Charles Wood

May 13, 2015, 1:32:22 PM5/13/15
to UtahJS, Utah Ruby User Group
I'm willing to go as far north as Draper. But I'd prefer the Lehi/American Fork/Pleasant Grove area. Any other feedback on location?

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Ryan Hess <hess....@gmail.com> wrote:
I would love to participate, but don't think it would be worth it to go past the point of the mountain.  It's fine if that's what you decide, just sayin.

Ty Diamse

May 13, 2015, 3:10:18 PM5/13/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com, uta...@googlegroups.com
You guys are welcome to come to Church & State. I'm here everyday. This offer won't last forever though so use it while you can.

Kenny Trionfo

May 14, 2015, 9:48:34 PM5/14/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com, uta...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if it's your thing or not but some libraries have some nice rooms, some larger, some smaller. The larger ones would provide space to have different groups working on different things comfortably, plus whiteboards, fast wifi etc. No food though.  :)