[LOOKING FOR JOB] - Jr Position

Mister Ed

Jul 23, 2015, 3:02:39 AM7/23/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all,

I am looking to pivot into Ruby/RoR professionally from Perl and some
legacy languages like Pascal, Cobol, Fortran. I have been lurking on
this list since nearly the beginning (prior to it residing on
googlegroups). I was introduced to Ruby and rails back in 2005 when my
quasi~neighbor, Jamis Buck, got me all excited about the language.
However I had to work on other things professionally, and needed to set
it aside until recently.

To get the gears moving again, I recently completed the refresher
courses at codecademy for Ruby and RoR (and Javascript), scored 90% on a
RoR test a recruiter required last month, and built a code sample in RoR
as well as a sample web page using bootstrap 3 for UI/UX so that I had
something to show that was not filed under some secret protocol or
developed circa 2010.

I also have experience in project management, business and systems
analysis, and other business type functions.

I am currently doing contract work off and on, leading/developing a
large ecommerce OSS project, and working part-time on a Masters Degree
in Information Technology, w/ emphasis in Information Security. I might
change my emphasis to Software Development though.

And to seal the deal, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

If anyone in the UT or SL valley areas has junior roles open or willing
to quickly develop junior prospects (or has other roles open that might
get me in the door), I would appreciate the opportunity. Please contact
me off-list. I can provide links to samples, send a resume, meet in
person, wear a foil cap, etc -- as needed for off-list requests.

Thanks,

Carl

PS - Wasn't sure how to subject/title this post since it was not
announcing a job.

Mike Moore

Jul 23, 2015, 10:42:30 AM7/23/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
Oh wow, it has been forever since I saw a post by Mister Ed! Total blast from the past!

Best of luck in your job hunt!

--
http://utruby.org
http://groups.google.com/group/urug

please prefix the subject with [JOB] when regarding job opportunities

Mister Ed

Jul 23, 2015, 4:41:25 PM7/23/15
to ur...@googlegroups.com
yes it has! Stalker... I mean lurker ... mode rules discourage UG posts.
The world tilts out of balance when such guidelines are set aside.

And thanks for the personal replies thus far. I was unsure about putting
myself out there like that. I might have to show up to one of the UV
meetings now, as long as the directions work correctly -- a couple of
years ago when I had a chance to show up, they led me to a UTA bus stop,
and no company sign to be found nearby for Money Desktop (MX). I was
then concerned some crazy bus driver was playing a prank on unsuspecting
URUG members. Luckily BJ let me know where it really was for future
reference.

Carl

On 7/23/15 8:42 AM, Mike Moore wrote:
> Oh wow, it has been forever since I saw a post by Mister Ed! Total blast
> from the past!
>

> <mailto:urug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:ur...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> --
> http://utruby.org
> http://groups.google.com/group/urug
>
> please prefix the subject with [JOB] when regarding job opportunities
> ---

Charles Wood

Jul 23, 2015, 7:29:18 PM7/23/15
to Utah Ruby User Group
If you're an experienced dev and a good communicator, you should be able to pick up Rails quickly and qualify for a Senior position. In my experience, understanding programming problems (usually due to experience) and great collaboration and communication skill are more important than knowledge of a library or framework's API's.