Bunches and Gaps

Theo Armour

Apr 5, 2013, 11:59:23 PM4/5/13
to urdacha
Ola Urdacha Complicitors

We have a new revision:

In this revision we welcome back our caterpillar overlards.

Our benevolent overlards appear now in the guise of bunches and gaps (not to be confused with the more familiar bunches of grapes).

There are many bugs - apart from the caterpillars. Not the least of which is that it looks like only day one is being loaded for any selected city.

There are many caveats:
  • Your attention is only being drawn to bunches
  • Gaps are being tracked but with no visual display.
  • Bunches are being tracked only in the outbound direction.
The only error checking is for
  • Two different buses arriving close together at a stop - but from opposite directions
  • The same bus checking in to the same stop more than once.
There is much joy, however, because the algorithm is based upon a very simple moving average indicator.

Even a briefest glimpse of hAxis r5 demonstrates that at least some of the bunching is being identified purely by this algorithm.

Our fear had been that the *only* way to do this would be through innumerable look up tables and many conditionals,

So, having evidence that this simple way may also work allows us to consider a happy future where we able to play, compare and contrast the evidence provided by both simple and complex methods off of each other. Yay!

**

Please note, if the complexity of hAxis r5 is a bit overwhelming, that hAxis r4 is still available and has a few fixes. For example, highlighting 'in-world' items from the Readout menu should work for you again.

**

Saturday, 6 April at 11am is Prize Day at Swissnex.

See you there!

**

Bye for now...

Theo