[API STATUS] - API Timeouts/Issue

Greg Avola [Untappd]

Dec 22, 2014, 12:23:20 PM12/22/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Our host is currently experiencing DNS issues and you may experience issues connecting to our resources.

More info is here:

Greg

Greg Avola

Dec 22, 2014, 12:27:49 PM12/22/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
And if you can't read that post due to the DNS not working:

Our host is experiencing issues with their DNS servers (what is used to translate untappd.com to it’s IP address), so you may experience issues with timeouts and slowness on our site/api/app. We’re working to resolve the issue with them as quickly as possible and will update this thread when we have more information.

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd

Greg Avola

Dec 22, 2014, 12:39:55 PM12/22/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE: Most users are reported issues are from out of the US, so it appears to be limited to that are of the world.  Here is the official post from our host:

On December 21st, at approximately 23:54 CST, backbone engineers identified a UDP DDoS attack targeting the DNS servers in our IAD, ORD, and LON data centers. As a result of this issue, authoritative DNS resolution for any new request to the DNS servers began to fail in the affected data centers. In order to stabilize the issue, our teams placed the impacted DNS infrastructure behind mitigation services. This service is designed to protect our infrastructure, however, due to the nature of the event, a portion of legitimate traffic to our DNS infrastructure may be inadvertently blocked. Our teams are actively working to mitigate the attack and provide service stability.

Greg Avola

Dec 22, 2014, 2:09:54 PM12/22/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE: Most users are reporting improvements. If you have specific use-cases of issues - please let us know.

Thanks,
Greg