The Pub (Local) Maximum Radius?

Chase Wright

Oct 21, 2014, 6:40:37 PM10/21/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Is there a limit to the radius size?

I'm trying to get all checkins from Japan using 4 circles. The circle centered around Tokyo gets a lot of hits near its center but nothing in the outer area. Also the other 3 circles are centered in basically the middle of nowhere, but still cover a large portion of Japan, and they return zero results even though I know checkins are happening within their radius.

Here's the data I'm using:

if ($option eq "Tokyo")
{
    $lat
= 35.6895;
    $lng
= 139.6917;
    $radius
= 530;
}
elsif ($option eq "Sapporo")
{
    $lat
= 42.9167;
    $lng
= 143.2000;
    $radius
= 220;
}
elsif ($option eq "Okinawa")
{
    $lat
= 27.3689;
    $lng
= 128.5667;
    $radius
= 155;
}
elsif ($option eq "Kagoshima")
{
    $lat
= 31.2833;
    $lng
= 130.3167;
    $radius
= 190;
}

Again, the Tokyo one is centered in Tokyo and returns results just fine. The Okinawa one is centered around a small island to the north, but covers all of Okinawa, and returns zero results when I KNOW there are checkins around Okinawa.

Thanks!

Chase Wright

Oct 21, 2014, 6:57:27 PM10/21/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
If I use the coordinates listed above I get zero checkins, even if I increase the radius to 500 miles.

But if I use generic Google coordinates of Okinawa (lat=26.5000&lng=128.0000) it seems to work alright. Those coordinates are closer to Okinawa main island leading me to suspect that there's a radius limit or something going on with the API.

Greg Avola

Oct 21, 2014, 7:31:27 PM10/21/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chase - the max on radius is 25 miles, that's probably why you are seeing issues. However - once you go up higher than 25, it defaults to 25. It's possible there are no checkins within a 25 miles of that location?

Greg

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Chase Wright <mystic...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I use the coordinates listed above I get zero checkins, even if I increase the radius to 500 miles.

But if I use generic Google coordinates of Okinawa (lat=26.5000&lng=128.0000) it seems to work alright. Those coordinates are closer to Okinawa main island leading me to suspect that there's a radius limit or something going on with the API.

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd

Chase Wright

Oct 21, 2014, 7:34:59 PM10/21/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Greg, that does explain it.

radius (int, optional) - The max radius you would like the check-ins to start within

I would suggest updating the documentation.

-Chase

Greg Avola

Oct 21, 2014, 7:38:07 PM10/21/14
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Will do! Thanks for you patience and pointing out the documentation error!

Greg