Photo upload

Sami Rajala

Aug 16, 2013, 1:23:29 PM8/16/13
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Any hope you guys might reconsider and provide APIs for us 3rd party developers to upload images? :) It seems to be a deal breaker to some of our potential users leaving our apps to be more for browsing on what's happening instead of checking in new beers.

-Sami

p.s. my app is free and I tend to keep it that way

Greg Avola

Aug 16, 2013, 1:33:16 PM8/16/13
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Sami,

Unfortunately - we cannot offer Photo API access to developers at this time. There are many reasons why we can't do this:

- Technical Resources
- Cost Resources
- Controlling Content / Abuse

One the of main things is that we are only a 2 man team - I'm the only developer. All costs of the servers are self-funded (and users through supporter accounts). We had manage photos and costs of storing those photos - and open those up to developers increases that cost.

We feel that we have given developers a lot of APIs to play with Untappd data and build great experiences, however there some APIs that need to be kept private to keep the information clean and services up and running. Photo API and Beer/Brewery Creation API are things that we need to keep private for now.

Very sorry about that and thanks for developing with the API!

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd

Sami Rajala

Aug 16, 2013, 1:46:41 PM8/16/13
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
I understand, just felt like it was time to give it another shot :)

That said, I've never fully understood how your applications are controlling the content/abuse part? Do they somehow process the photos before allowing the users to upload them to prevent things like nudity etc. to be uploaded to the servers or what?

-Sami

Greg Avola

Aug 16, 2013, 2:15:47 PM8/16/13
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Sami,

Thanks for your understanding. Having our apps only be authorized prevents abuse of the API - but someone just hitting that end-point either maliciously or by mistake. That is also why we don't allow the /checkin/delete method to be used by developers as we don't someone to either malicious delete or accidentally remove all your checkins. I'm provably used a poor choice of words to describe it as "controlling the content" - so my mistake.

If we got funded or had tons of cash - we would certainly open it up :-)

Cheers,
Greg

Sami Rajala

Aug 16, 2013, 2:29:46 PM8/16/13
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Greg, for clearing it up :)

Mike Cooke

May 24, 2015, 3:19:34 PM5/24/15
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Greg,

Any chance you guys have reconsidered adding access to the Photo API? I completely understand the original reasons for not opening it up, just wondering if any of that has changed since this was asked ~2 years ago.

-Mike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to untappd-api-developer-group+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Greg Avola

May 24, 2015, 3:55:44 PM5/24/15
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey mike,

No plans on opening this up right now. Sorry about that - and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to untappd-api-develop...@googlegroups.com.

helicalgear

Sep 27, 2017, 12:18:55 AM9/27/17
to Untappd API Developer Group
Hi,

The API is still not planed to open ?

I love UNTAPPD and I released unofficial UNTAPPD client for mobile devices powered by Sailfish OS.
I think that it is the only client app that runs on Sailfish OS natively at the moment so it is very disappointing that I can not upload photos by this app.
I am so happy if you consider again to open the API.

Thx!

Qayttamaton:
https://sailfishos.org/

2015年5月25日月曜日 4時55分44秒 UTC+9 Greg Avola [Untappd]:

Greg Avola

Sep 27, 2017, 9:38:14 AM9/27/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi there!

At this time - we do not have plan to update the API to allow photos uploads for third-party apps. Very sorry about this!

Greg

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd

helicalgear

Sep 27, 2017, 9:37:08 PM9/27/17
to Untappd API Developer Group

Oh well... I got it.
Thank you for your answer!

2017年9月27日水曜日 22時38分14秒 UTC+9 Greg Avola [Untappd]:

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd