Untappd URL scheme not working on iOS

Jørgen Abrahamsen

Apr 26, 2017, 8:05:56 AM4/26/17
to Untappd API Developer Group
I'm trying to make a app with Ionic 2 which have a list of beers. For each beer you'll have an option to check it in in the Untappd app. So the thought would be to use the URL schema untappd://beer/<bid> to jump into Untappd and navigate to the specified beer.

This works for Android, but I haven't gotten it to work on iPhone. I've simply been testing this with links in a HTML page. I don't think it'll be any different compiled into an app, or am I wrong?

On Android the Untappd app opens and the beer info shows and you're ready to check it in. But on iPhone the Untappd app just opens on the default page or whatever other tab/page you left Untappd on.

Here is some samples I've been testing with:

Thanks

--
Jørgen

Greg Avola

Apr 26, 2017, 8:36:25 AM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey there!

The first link you provided works for me - I don't have any issues and open the beer page. We have an update waiting for approval from Apple that should streamline this and make it more reliable - but it should work in 3.0.5.

Do you know if you are doing a cold start or the app is already open?

Greg

Sent from my iPhone

Jørgen Abrahamsen

Apr 26, 2017, 9:49:52 AM4/26/17
to Untappd API Developer Group
That's weird, Greg. Are you testing similarly with a link on a webpage using a browser? I've had several iPhone users visit my webpage (https://home.samfundet.no/~jorabra/untappd.html) and they are all having the same result – Untappd opens on either the default page if cold started or the last visited tab/page if it's already running. I've tested both cases.

--
Jørgen

Greg Avola

Apr 26, 2017, 9:51:30 AM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am. Did you want to try our latest beta and see if that  helps?

Greg

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd

Jørgen Abrahamsen

Apr 26, 2017, 9:57:54 AM4/26/17
to Untappd API Developer Group
Yes, that would be interesting.

Greg Fiumara

Apr 26, 2017, 4:57:55 PM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jørgen and Greg A.,

After 3.x, URL schemes seemed to change from untappd://?<item>=<ID> to untappd://<item>/<ID>. In my experience right after 3.x shipped, loading a URL on iOS only launched the Untappd app if Untappd wasn't currently in memory, but subsequent calls would load the item after a short delay. However, revisiting this again now after this discussion came up, it does seem that URL schemes not functional with 3.0.5. Is this fixed in the beta you mentioned?

Thanks,
-Greg F.

Greg Avola

Apr 26, 2017, 5:02:44 PM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
HI Greg,

We only support untappd://<item>/<ID> at this time.  untappd://?<item>=<ID> is not longer support in V3. While this is annoying, we tried to focus on people go the Web Deep-link here: http://help.untappd.com/solution/articles/25000001896-how-can-i-directly-open-the-untappd-app-to-a-certain-beer-brewery-or-checkin-page- instead of using direct URI.

We can definitely look into support untappd://?<item>=<ID> links if there a developer need for back porting.

To answer your question, 3.0.6 - to be released in the AM, will make them fully functional again.

Greg

Greg Avola

Apr 26, 2017, 5:03:15 PM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
And when I say fully functional, I mean only untappd://<item>/<ID> will work.

Greg

Greg Avola
Co-Founder / CTO
Untappd

Greg Fiumara

Apr 26, 2017, 7:00:01 PM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 5:03 PM, Greg Avola <gr...@untappd.com> wrote:
>
> And when I say fully functional, I mean only untappd://<item>/<ID> will work.

I think it's reasonable to expect users to upgrade to V3, especially since you still support the majority of iOS devices. In a future update, you might consider adding a new scheme, "untappd3://" to add the ability for others to differentiate between V2 and V3 at runtime. I personally wouldn't lose sleep if you just moved on though.

Thanks,
-Greg

Greg Avola

Apr 26, 2017, 7:20:24 PM4/26/17
to untappd-api-d...@googlegroups.com
Good idea Greg - but like you said - we want to encourage users to get v3 at all costs :-)

Greg

Sent from my iPhone