Schedule for 1/15 and beyond

Aaron E.

Jan 8, 2013, 3:17:24 PM1/8/13
to unl-ethics-r...@googlegroups.com
Group,

Today we discussed our Master Plan for the semester.

We will start with some readings for the upcoming Job Talks, how many will depend on how many the Metaphysics Group is willing to take.  We will do at least one, and maybe a second, out of four.

For next week, tuesday 1/15, we will read candidate Jonathan Cottrell's paper "The Unity of the Mind and Hume's Appendix."

We may do another Jobs paper the following week.

When we finish with our share of the Jobs papers we will do a couple of weeks with Jan on Deontic Modals.

She writes:
Here are a few ideas:

Kratzer vs critics on deontic modals in information sensitive cases, e.g. the miners paradox.

Kratzer vs critics on some puzzles from deontic logic

A couple of papers from linguistics and Phil Lang on whether "must" functions in part as an imperative

Schroeder's paper defending the claim that deontic "ought" is ambiguous.

I would recommend a session on the first option and a second on any of the remaining three.  We could at that point see whether there is interest and time for a third meeting or not.

After 2 or 3 weeks of that, we will move to Slaves of the Passions, doing two chapters a week to insure that we finish before the semester ends.

We might have a few weeks at the end, depending on how things go, to read some articles if people are interested, or we could just end early and work on our term papers.  We'll see how things go.

Sorry for the long email!

Aaron