Giddeon Rosen Readings?

Aaron E.

Oct 3, 2012, 2:14:55 PM10/3/12
to unl-ethics-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ethics Group,

We have received from Giddeon Rosen some papers that he thought would be good background readings for his upcoming talk.  His talk, I have been lead to believe, will be a metaethics paper on supervenience.  These background readings are metaphysics papers related to supervenience, dealing with with necessity and constitution/grounding.

The question is, do we want to take a week to read these papers, or if we would prefer the metaphysics reading group to host the discussion?  There are advantages both ways.  I will leave it up to people advocating either side to mention what they take to be advantages.

On a different note (I don't know if it's a related note or not), I asked Dr. Sobel about the draft of Scanlon's book.  He is planning on emailing Scanlon to ask if there is a more up-to-date draft being circulated.  If not, I'm sure we could read the draft Sobel currently has, or the Locke Lecture transcripts that I have.  Unless we hear back one way or anther from Sobel soonish, I suggest that we postpone reading Scanlon.

Any suggestions on what to read as plan B for tuesday?

Best,

Aaron

Preston Werner

Oct 4, 2012, 10:03:13 AM10/4/12
to unl-ethics-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Aaron,
Were the papers Rosen suggested metaethics papers or metaphysics papers? Anyway, I guess it would make sense to read the Rosen papers while we await the updated Scanlon draft.

Best,
Preston