The definition of "Unified Communications"

11 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

jasonkolb

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 08:41:0417.07.08
an Unified Communications
As this topic seems to evoke different reactions depending on who I'm
talking to at the time, I posted some thoughts around it on my blog.
I'm interested in others' take on it as well, would be nice to get
some sort of a consensus.

http://www.jasonkolb.com/weblog/2008/07/the-definition.html

Regards,
Jason

mike

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 10:33:5717.07.08
an Unified Communications
My initial opinion is that the definition of UC should involve a key
reference to Presence which to me seems a key component of the UC. Be
good to get some thoughts on how all the groups technology people view
this as I am thinking of it from a purely business productivity point
of view?

Sam Perchez

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 10:58:1417.07.08
an unife...@googlegroups.com
All,
As a consultant I tend to agree with Mike. I take an approach with my
clients or future clients that UC should be doing one of three things which
all affect a businesses bottom line. One: saving your business money even
though there is a cost to UC done right; if it makes sense there should be a
tangible cost benefit that helps the departments using UC. Two: it should
improve your clients experience when communicating with your company and/or
reps. Three: it should improve your companies own internal communications
between peer to peer, management to employee, and employee to management.
All of these things or one or two of these things are what you are trying to
accomplish with UC.

And as far as what technically defines UC all three of Jason's definitions
are parts of the UC definition to me. UC started way back when our industry
created voicemail. We've just been getting better!

Sam
Senior Consultant

Pyles, Herb

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 11:57:3317.07.08
an unife...@googlegroups.com

I like to use the illustration below to help define UC from a “functional” standpoint – the technical standpoint is totally different. I see UC defined to two different audiences:

1)  UC definition to the information worker/the end user/the business leader (easiest done using the illustration below) with the inclusion of definition that UC to the end user is about knowing who is available when and how AND then having the tools easily available to reach them from within a unified interface. So UC is about the communication and collaboration tools integrated into an end user’s single interface – Microsoft Outlook/Communicator, IBM Sametime, Cisco Unity, Siemens OpenScape, etc. etc. – doesn’t matter what the application the end user “lives in”, through API integration, they have access.

2)  UC to the IT/network people – leveraging network and telephony infrastructures to utilize economies of scale to reduce costs. Does an information user think about cost? I think not, they look for ease of use. The communications cost savings come from integration on the back end by the IT and network teams. So wusing the same IP network that is delivering applications and data to the enterprise are used to facilitate communications.

Picture 1

Thanks,

Herb

Herb Pyles

Vice President

Strategic Business Development, Acquisition & Integration

See My Calendar

InterCall a subsidiary of West Corporation

866-236-9983 toll-free

773-867-7148 direct

773-474-0127 mobile

706-634-3727 fax

Conserve our natural resources, think twice before you print this email!

Neal Shact

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 12:20:5917.07.08
an unife...@googlegroups.com

Very nice art work

Neal Shact

      CEO

      CommuniTech Services

      2340 S. Arlington Heights Road, Suite 360

      Arlington Heights, IL 60005

      (847) 981-1200 x600

      Fax: (847) 981-9085

      neal@communitechservices.com

size=3 face="Times New Roman">

Jason Kolb

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 12:37:2917.07.08
an unife...@googlegroups.com
Herb,

I love this definition.  You're absolutely right, UC is being used to describe both aspects of the communication, and I think that's where the confusion sets in.

I wonder if there's a way to hone the definitions so that the aspect being talked about can be identified.  Something like the "Unified Communication Experience" and the "Unified Communications Network"?

(Nice graphic, too, by the way!)

Jason

Sam Perchez

ungelesen,
17.07.2008, 11:09:1617.07.08
an unife...@googlegroups.com
One more thing don't forget NEC when you talk UC. Check out the Univerge
360 products by NEC. www.cng.nec.com

Sam
Senior Consultant