Sockethub 0.1.4 released!

Nick Jennings

Dec 3, 2013, 8:11:54 PM12/3/13
to unhosted
Hi everyone,

 Tonight Sockethub 0.1.4 was released [1] with new functionality for the `feeds` platform (renamed from rss), as well as some important bugfixes related to a race condition with disconnecting clients and misplaced connection handlers. Here's a snippet from the changelog (full changelog linked below [2]):
  • bugfix: race condition were a disconnect could loose it's redis connection reference before it was able to disconnect. this was fixed but ensuring the websocket server had a unique disconnect callback for each connection. (issue #133)

  • platform rss: renamed to 'feeds' - be sure to update your config.js

  • platform feeds: added functionality to fetch only a subset of entries in a feed, using date or url and 'before' or 'after'. (issue #136)

  • platform feeds: media property now added to object, to enable clients to use attached media like podcasts. (issue #138)

  • (sockethub examples) updated to angular 1.2 and bootstrap 3

This latest version of sockethub is very stable, as a lot of the tricky connection handler issues have been weeded out over the past several releases.

As I don't make regular announcements here everytime I make a release, I'll also mention that there is an IRC platform, which was added back in October. It's not feature complete yet, but there is a demo people can check out on the examples page [3].

With the IRC and XMPP platforms in place, tons of stability and performance improvements to the core of Sockethub, and a successful launch of Dogfeed [4] for both desktop and mobile (Firefox OS) [5] (more about Dogfeed in another post, as I'm waiting on the 0.8.4 version of remoteStorage.js to be released before I can resolve some outstanding issues), my next big task is to take Dogtalk [6] (which is currently a functioning prototype for XMPP) to the next level, improving it into a fully functioning multi-protocol chat client.

If anyone is interested in this area (especially someone with XMPP or UX/UI knowledge) get in touch with me and we can work together. There's lots of front and back end work to be done.

Oh, and here's the release announcement on Twitter, please retweet!

https://twitter.com/sockethub/status/408040563653361664

Cheers,
Nick

[1] http://sockethub.org