Episode 6: Controlling your server over a WebSocket

Michiel B. de Jong

Jan 22, 2013, 9:50:59 PM1/22/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Live from the closing notes of an awesome Hacker Beach un-retreat, here is
this week's "Unhosted Adventures" episode:

https://unhosted.org/adventures/6/Controlling-your-server-over-a-WebSocket.html

Ciao,
Michiel

Michiel B. de Jong

Jan 22, 2013, 10:59:01 PM1/22/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott!

> Just wondering if you've seen the node.js module tty.js?

I knew something like this existed, but hadn't investigated it
yet, thanks!

Today's episode stops at a very rudimentary point, where you can
basically send one-liner commands to your server, and this is
definitely not enough, because many sysadmin tasks simply
require interactive typing. That's why I have been falling back
to GateOne and to text console in recent weeks, which is of
course a No Cookie Crew violation in need of attention. :)

In particular, we should extend sockethub's shell platform to
add something like vt100-style commands apart from the rudimentary
'execute' verb we added today.

It's definitely at the top of my list to flesh this out. Thanks
for bringing this up! :)

ciao,
Michiel