episode 11: hosting the unhosted

Michiel B. De Jong

Feb 26, 2013, 8:07:21 AM2/26/13
to Unhosted Web Apps

Sent through my Sockethub.
http://sockethub.org/

Giovanni Parra

May 2, 2014, 4:38:58 PM5/2/14
to unho...@googlegroups.com, anyt...@michielbdejong.com
I don't get it. If an user saves his data in an localStorage or IndexedDB related to an unhosted app and the apps domain, if that app disappears, can the user still get his data?
Does Appcache saves the user from this?

Michiel B. de Jong

May 3, 2014, 4:21:53 AM5/3/14
to Giovanni Parra, unho...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-05-02 22:38, Giovanni Parra wrote:
> I don't get it. If an user saves his data in an localStorage or
> IndexedDB related to an unhosted app and the apps domain, if that app
> disappears, can the user still get his data?

The data would still be there, although it would not be trivial for a
non-programmer to get it out. However, if you had your remoteStorage
account connected then the same data would also be on there, so then
there's no problem.

> Does Appcache saves the user from this?

no, appcache would typically contain code and assets of the app, not
user data.

HTH!
Michiel.

> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:07:21 AM UTC-3, Michiel B. De Jong
> wrote:

>> Sent through my Sockethub.
>> http://sockethub.org/ [2]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://www.google.com/url?q75https%3A%2F%2Funhosted.org%2Fadventures%2F11%2FApp-hosting.html46sa75D46sntz�75146usg75AFQjCNG6cme6ZINtXz4kIBrvujUhUpVoBw
> [2]
> http://www.google.com/url?q75http%3A%2F%2Fsockethub.org%2F46sa75D46sntz�75146usg75AFQjCNGukPyrbv5PkOuRJYR8-31E1j6LDA

Sebastian Kippe

May 3, 2014, 5:19:36 AM5/3/14
to unho...@googlegroups.com, Giovanni Parra
> Does Appcache saves the user from this?
>
> no, appcache would typically contain code and assets of the app, not user data.

Yes, but if all of your app assets are cached that means the app and therefore your data are still available when the origin server goes down.

Giovanni P

May 3, 2014, 5:45:53 AM5/3/14
to Sebastian Kippe, unho...@googlegroups.com
understood.