Episode 32: Client-side libraries for per-user backend

Michiel de Jong

Aug 26, 2014, 11:06:44 AM8/26/14
to unho...@googlegroups.com

leen

Aug 26, 2014, 8:01:33 PM8/26/14
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On 08/26/2014 05:06 PM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> Episode 32 is out:
>

> https://unhosted.org/practice/32/Client-side-libraries-for-per-user-backend.html
>
> Comments welcome. Enjoy!

I do have one very small comment:

The website unhosted.org uses HTTPS with Server Name Indentification (SNI).

Seems I found out links and lynx don't support SNI.

Anyway the default certificate for clients that don't use SNI is
www.3pp.io and it's certicate has expired.

Might be important or not, I don't know.

Michiel de Jong

Aug 27, 2014, 5:07:06 AM8/27/14
to unhosted
Hi!

3pp.io being expired is not such a big issue, since it's only a holding page, and we are renaming the "Third Party People" project to "Indie Hosters" anyway.

It had never occurred to me to test the website with lynx, although I do think that Explorer on windows XP also doesn't support it. See also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5154596/is-ssl-sni-actually-used-and-supported-in-browsers for a discussion.

However, if your browser supports unhosted web apps (for which you need JavaScript and CORS), then it probably also supports SNI. :)

The alternative of either hosting it on http, or paying an extra 2 euros a month for an additional IPv4 address, is also not so attractive.

Thanks for the headsup, though!

Cheers,
Michiel

--