Amazon supports unhosted apps

Hugo Roy

Nov 1, 2013, 3:22:49 PM11/1/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
http://scripting.com/2013/11/01/amazonBreaksThroughOnStaticJavascriptApps
Amazon supports Static JavaScript Apps
By Dave Winer.

I wonder if Winer is aware of unhosted and sockethub.
--
Hugo Roy | Free Software Foundation Europe, www.fsfe.org
FSFE Legal Team, Deputy Coordinator, www.fsfe.org/legal

Support Free Software, sign up! https://fsfe.org/support
signature.asc

Nick Jennings

Nov 1, 2013, 4:22:22 PM11/1/13
to unhosted
Thanks for the link, it's a lot of the same sentiment as sockethub, remotestorage and nobackend/unhosted in general, though they (obviously intentionally) miss the point that the back-end should be free and open, otherwise you're just dependant on another service provider to stay around or your app dies.

Interesting to see how they approach the subject though, I think a lot of people are coming around to this idea of "dream code"[1], which is now possible due to CORS headers.

Justin Cormack

Nov 1, 2013, 4:25:40 PM11/1/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the link, it's a lot of the same sentiment as sockethub,
> remotestorage and nobackend/unhosted in general, though they (obviously
> intentionally) miss the point that the back-end should be free and open,
> otherwise you're just dependant on another service provider to stay around
> or your app dies.
>
> Interesting to see how they approach the subject though, I think a lot of
> people are coming around to this idea of "dream code"[1], which is now
> possible due to CORS headers.

There are open source implementations of the Amazon S3 protocol
(although not the others); whether they support CORS yet I don't know.
They aren't that lightweight and easy to install though (eg openstack)
yet.

Justin

pir...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2013, 4:33:14 PM11/1/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com

Maybe I've missed something... are they allowing to host pure Javascript webapps as 5apps.com does, or they have just offered a Javascript API as everybody does today (or at least REST APIs where others build Javascript libraried on top of them)?

Justin Cormack

Nov 1, 2013, 4:37:20 PM11/1/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM, pir...@gmail.com <pir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I've missed something... are they allowing to host pure Javascript
> webapps as 5apps.com does, or they have just offered a Javascript API as
> everybody does today (or at least REST APIs where others build Javascript
> libraried on top of them)?

Both, the new bit is that they have the API, which required CORS
support and suitable authentication support. Hosting is fairly
trivial, as they have supported static websites for some time.

Justin

pir...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2013, 4:43:17 PM11/1/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, but not by free nor in an integrated way... One of the things I find more annoying of Dropbox is that they know they have a way to easily publish web pages and webapps, but they don't have a non-techie way to achieve it nor promote it... :-/

--

---

Hugo Roy

Nov 1, 2013, 4:52:29 PM11/1/13
to unhosted
+ 2013-11-01 Fri 21:22, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net>:

> Thanks for the link, it's a lot of the same sentiment as sockethub,
> remotestorage and nobackend/unhosted in general, though they (obviously
> intentionally) miss the point that the back-end should be free and open,

Yes, however I would not say that Dave misses that point. To me
he's quite clearly aware that it should be "open." There's
probably room for communication here with him if you're
interested.
signature.asc

Benny Lichtner

Nov 1, 2013, 7:50:04 PM11/1/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Also I bet his fargo.io app could easily support remote storage.

Neophyte Representative

Nov 2, 2013, 1:43:36 PM11/2/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Hugo Roy <hu...@fsfe.org> wrote:
http://scripting.com/2013/11/01/amazonBreaksThroughOnStaticJavascriptApps
Amazon supports Static JavaScript Apps
By Dave Winer.

I wonder if Winer is aware of unhosted and sockethub.

It looks like http://disqus.com/bennlich/ essentially asked that question, but received no response.

Benny Lichtner

Nov 2, 2013, 2:05:40 PM11/2/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Yes--that's me =P

--

---

Michiel B. de Jong

Nov 7, 2013, 3:05:29 AM11/7/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Unhosted Web Apps" group.