non-profit unhosting : berlin?

Jon Richter

Nov 14, 2013, 8:37:17 PM11/14/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
hi people,

i've just stumbled across the section "non-profit hosting provider".
which actually exists, but less, let's say sophisticated.

do you know http://www.in-berlin.de ? They are strongly tied with Freifunk, c-base and ccc.
additionally, if you think of easy deployable services, I'm always fascinated by uberspace.de

you wrote there's an office in berlin.
i'd like to come around for a chat.

dogfeed and litewrite are just the beginning, i suppose.

btw., are you familiar with http://nobackend.org/ ?

anyway, we can conquer the net again.
and things like NDN or cjdns, tor'ish systems or bt or freenetproject are just experimentory battlefields.

you were right : federation has to become one-click'able if our moral strategy is to make it pursuit become mainstream (again).

greetingx,

jon

Michiel B. de Jong

Nov 15, 2013, 2:56:10 PM11/15/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
hi Jon!

On 11/14/2013 05:37 PM, Jon Richter wrote:
> hi people,
>
> i've just stumbled across the section "non-profit hosting provider".
> which actually exists, but less, let's say sophisticated.
>
> do you know http://www.in-berlin.de ? They are strongly tied with
> Freifunk, c-base and ccc.
> additionally, if you think of easy deployable services, I'm always
> fascinated by uberspace.de

no, i had heard of jp-berlin when i asked around on twitter
https://twitter.com/unhosted/status/340050882639056897 but not of
in-berlin, thanks for the link!

setting up a non-profit hosting provider is only one of my many plans, i
always have way more ideas than time! ;)

i still think it would be a great idea, *if* i would find two or three
people, including at least one seasoned sysadmin, who would be
interested in doing this together. it would be a lot of work, and it
would involve oncall shifts (which implies rotating not only your
weekends but also your holidays), so you don't want to start before you
got a good team together. also, once you start, people will rely on you
to a) work on it continuously, you can't take a 2-months break and then
continue, and b) be committed to try to continue the project for at
least 10 or 20 years. so it's not an easy one. :)

another observation is that people tend to trust bigger and older
storage providers - many people i talked to would rather store their
data on Google than at a smaller grassroots provider, simply because
Google is backed by a lot of money, and is therefore less likely to
disappear, or accidentally let a server crash, and also will have more
money and scale to hire good engineers who will safeguard both security
and uptime. but i think that's a smaller problem - if we were to offer
good open-source-based indie-web-compatible hosting, then there would be
a market for that, i think.

> you wrote there's an office in berlin.
> i'd like to come around for a chat.

yes! right now only Garret from 5apps is there, but i'll be in Berlin
again on Wednesday, let's meet up!

> dogfeed and litewrite are just the beginning, i suppose.

yes, we have a long way to go, and are working with very few people on
many fronts and aspects. but at least with litewrite you can already do
your basic note taking and text editing, also works really well on
mobile devices!

> btw., are you familiar with http://nobackend.org/ ?

yes, i am actually wearing a noBackend T-shirt while writing this :) we
did a track at QCon on Monday
http://qconsf.com/track/nobackend-%E2%80%93-front-end-first-web-development

> or http://redecentralize.org/ ?

yes! i'm also doing an interview with them in a few weeks probably,
talking about unhosted web apps. i love that site, really nice showcase
of interesting geek projects :) actually, Francis (frabcus) Irving, who
started that interview series, was one of our very first supporters and
really helped us a lot to decide to actually quit our day jobs and work
on it for real. almost 3 years ago now! :)

> anyway, we can conquer the net again.
> http://ward.fed.wiki.org/view/welcome-visitors/view/federated-wiki
> and things like NDN or cjdns, tor'ish systems or bt or freenetproject
> are just experimentory battlefields.
>
> you were right : federation has to become one-click'able if our moral
> strategy is to make it pursuit become mainstream (again).

yes! we're always going slower because we're not so many people, but for
such a small group of people i think we're having a really great impact
on the future of technological freedom.

thanks for all the links!

cheers,
Michiel