Hackathon result: byoDB

Daniel Roesler

Nov 18, 2013, 8:52:24 PM11/18/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Howdy guys,

For a recent hackathon[1], I tried making an unhosted-style webapp from scratch that uses encryption. The hackathon theme was publications and privacy, and after Lavabit, I figure client-side encryption is fairly topical. My presentation mainly focused on how unhosted-style apps can provide a more stable client-side encryption setup. My working title was "bring-your-own-data". To make things easier to code, I focused on just getting localStorage and Dropbox working. However, I'm interested to look into remoteStorage (learned about it at the hackathon) to see if my hackthon project could be converted to using remoteStorage (when Dropbox support and crypto are added).

For crypto, I copied the Stanford Javascript Crypto Library[2]. For jquery, I used Zepto.js[3], which should really be removed from being a dependency (didn't have time to lookup vanilla-js). I just included these in minified chunks so I only had to send one index.html file for the hackathon submission.

Code for library starts here.
https://github.com/diafygi/byoDB/blob/master/examples/diary/index.html#L252

Example App:
http://diafygi.github.io/byoDB/examples/diary/

Presentation:
https://github.com/diafygi/byoDB/blob/master/presentation/logic.odp

Hope y'all like it!
Daniel

[1] - https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Worldwide_Aaron_Swartz_Memorial_Hackathon_Series
[2] - https://crypto.stanford.edu/sjcl/
[3] - http://zeptojs.com/

lissnup

Nov 20, 2013, 12:27:09 AM11/20/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Very nice! Tested using dropbox, and working with no issues

Michiel B. de Jong

Nov 20, 2013, 5:13:13 PM11/20/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
awesome! i'll add your app to https://unhosted.org/apps/ as an example
of an unhosted web app.

at the remoteStorage project, we're actually planning on adding Dropbox
(and GoogleDrive) support into remotestorage.js, so then you can have
one library and let your users choose any of those three data hosting
choices.

but for now remotestorage.js only works with remoteStorage servers. it
should be easy to convert! have a look at http://remotestorage.io/integrate/

to get started quickly, you can get a remoteStorage account from
5apps.com. Also, if you deploy your app to 5apps instead of to github
pages, it has several advantages: it will generate a caching manifest,
as well as app manifests that you can submit to the various html5 app
stores out there.

thanks for joining our mailing list!

cheers,
Michiel

Michiel B. de Jong

Nov 22, 2013, 1:46:40 PM11/22/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com

On 20-Nov-13 23:13, Michiel B. de Jong wrote:
> awesome! i'll add your app to https://unhosted.org/apps/ as an example
> of an unhosted web app.

done! i took some liberty choosing the app icon :) feel free to change
it by sending a pull request to https://github.com/unhosted/website

Have a nice weekend!
Michiel.

Daniel Roesler