hackerbeach deliver us from this frozen tundra!

Nick Jennings

Sep 24, 2013, 11:44:11 AM9/24/13
to unhosted
Hi all, I'm being informed that Czech and Slovak weather forecasters are saying that there's a high chance this coming winter will be the coldest in over 100 years...

... I've got an unused bottle of mosquito repellent, some sunscreen lotion, and my sandals are in much better condition than my hole-ridden winter boots... So, where's the hackerbeach gonna be this year? :)

Michiel B. de Jong

Oct 13, 2013, 9:49:16 AM10/13/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
hi!

yeah, would be great to repeat last year's success! :)

I'm planning to attend 30C3 in Hamburg, end of December; after that
don't know yet. South East Asia is definitely an option for me, but i
haven't made any definite travel plans yet, they might still change.

Also, a lot of the people who were at the first Hacker Beach are now at
http://africahacktrip.org/ - maybe we can postpone the decision until
they come back.

We can do it like last year: the first person to buy a ticket, decides
the destination! :)

Cheers,
Michiel
> --
>
> ---

signature.asc

Sebastian Kippe

Oct 13, 2013, 10:14:06 AM10/13/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

writing this from sunny and beautiful Kigali in Rwanda, the third country we've visited so far. Kenya and Tanzania have really nice beaches. Search images for "mombasa beaches" on the Internet for example.

Then again, we arrived in Nairobi only 3 days after the Westgate attack, and Gregor was actually there, just one kilometer from the place. Al Shabaab is pretty pissed that Kenya has troops in Somalia and that they're actively trying to set up a small proxy country in the south. Unfortunately, Mombasa has been targeted in the past, especially tourist and expat places. I personally felt safe everywhere I went here so far, but that's probably not true for everyone, when you have horror stories ike Westgate in the back of your head.

I'm still very much into the idea of going to South Africa, though! I've been to the beaches there as a kid, and a lot of people told me about the current state, and that it'd be a perfect location for Hacker Beach. For example, Vicy from Berlin knows a cheap place, where we can basically rent out a guest house with its very own bay. All sounds pretty awesome. And I'd find it a bit boring to just go to SE Asia every year.

Cheers
Basti

Nick Jennings

Oct 13, 2013, 10:52:42 AM10/13/13
to unhosted
I'm totally up for hackerbeach in Africa this year. I've never been to that continent and have always wanted to go. South Africa (renting a place with our own bay) sounds amazing, is it very expensive?

Sebastian Kippe

Oct 13, 2013, 11:12:44 AM10/13/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
> is it very expensive?

No, it's not. See https://storage.5apps.com/basti/public/shares/131013-1510-cheapest-countries.png for example.

It doesn't get much cheaper than Vietnam, but I guess it mostly depends on the accomodation costs. So finding the right place within any country is probably more important than deciding by just the country name and stats.

François Kooman

Oct 30, 2013, 7:23:56 AM10/30/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
Oct 30, 2013, 7:45:36 AM10/30/13
to unhosted
 Yeah, but South Africa is a big country, if someone were to buy a ticket, where in South Africa should that someone try to fly into?

(Sebastian?)

François Kooman

Nov 5, 2013, 9:42:41 AM11/5/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On 10/30/2013 12:45 PM, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Yeah, but South Africa is a big country, if someone were to buy a
> ticket, where in South Africa should that someone try to fly into?

I guess to Johannesburg first, and then to Durban, Port Elizabeth or
Cape Town...

> (Sebastian?)

How about this bay with our own beach? Where was that located? :-)

Cheers,
Fran�ois

Nick Jennings

Nov 5, 2013, 9:46:01 AM11/5/13
to unhosted
Yeah, let's get on this, before it's too late! :)

François

Hugo Roy

Nov 5, 2013, 11:16:57 AM11/5/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
+ 2013-11-05 Tue 15:46, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net>:

> Yeah, let's get on this, before it's too late! :)

When is hacker beach again?

--
Hugo Roy | Free Software Foundation Europe, www.fsfe.org
FSFE Legal Team, Deputy Coordinator, www.fsfe.org/legal

Support Free Software, sign up! https://fsfe.org/support
signature.asc

Nick Jennings

Nov 5, 2013, 11:38:29 AM11/5/13
to unhosted
January

François Kooman

Nov 6, 2013, 4:44:02 AM11/6/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On 11/05/2013 03:46 PM, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Yeah, let's get on this, before it's too late! :)

Before we are frozen to death? :-)

I've been browsing around a bit and it seems Port St Johns‎ is nice. A
bit over 300km south of Durban. What do you guys think? It could be a
bit too touristy... If @basti has a better idea, please tell us! :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_St_Johns

Cheers,
François

Michiel B. de Jong

Nov 6, 2013, 6:53:30 AM11/6/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
I will decide last minute, and that's probably true for more people (we
saw that last year as well). So maybe the three of you (Nick, Francois,
Basti) are most able to make a commitment now, so one option would be if
you three just book something and then announce it.

I recently reset the @hackerbeach twitter account, to what I thought it
was before - ping me on irc if you want to tweet something and can't get
in.

Cheers!
Michiel

Nick Jennings

Nov 6, 2013, 9:24:48 AM11/6/13
to unhosted
Michiel, when you say you'll decide last minute does it mean you may not come?

Unlike last year, when there was a general consensus on the area (Vietnam), I feel a little hesitant to throw down ~1000euro if I'm not sure that some people are committed to going. Last year I knew you (Michiel) would be in the region and were definitely going.

I've looked at a few places. Utila is a tropical island off the coast of Honduras. It may be a little more expensive to get to (though not too much).

A flight to San Pedro Sula (SAP) goes for around 850-1000euro on the low-end (checking flights from Prague, Munich and Berlin via. skyscanner).

Then there's the task of getting to the Island, but I would guess it's not going to be more than 100euro or so for the transport.
I met someone in Prague many years ago who said it was an amazing magical place.

Then there's South Africa which sounds great as well. Since it's not near the equator we're going to have a much harder time finding a real island (I don't think there are any) but beaches on the mainland are fine with me as well. It's going to be more of a temperate climate summer than a tropical one obviously.

Other than that I don't have any other ideas but am open to anywhere, really, as long as it's hot and nice and others will be there :)

Should we maybe have a hackerbeach list? It seems people on unhosted may not care, and there are also many different hackers who are not involved in unhosted who may be very excited to come.

-Nick

François Kooman

Nov 7, 2013, 5:42:58 AM11/7/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
On 11/06/2013 03:24 PM, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Unlike last year, when there was a general consensus on the area
> (Vietnam), I feel a little hesitant to throw down ~1000euro if I'm not
> sure that some people are committed to going. Last year I knew you
> (Michiel) would be in the region and were definitely going.

I'll be going for sure. And I don't really care where. So if you book
something I'll come as well :)

> I've looked at a few places. Utila is a tropical island off the coast of
> Honduras. It may be a little more expensive to get to (though not too much).

And a little less safe? Although I guess SA is also not the safest place
to be :)

> A flight to San Pedro Sula (SAP) goes for around 850-1000euro on the
> low-end (checking flights from Prague, Munich and Berlin via. skyscanner).

So you would prefer Honduras over SA?

> I met someone in Prague many years ago who said it was an amazing
> magical place.

Well, this sounds good :D

> Then there's South Africa which sounds great as well. Since it's not
> near the equator we're going to have a much harder time finding a real
> island (I don't think there are any) but beaches on the mainland are
> fine with me as well. It's going to be more of a temperate climate
> summer than a tropical one obviously.

Yeah, I don't really need an island...

> Other than that I don't have any other ideas but am open to anywhere,
> really, as long as it's hot and nice and others will be there :)

Me too!

> Should we maybe have a hackerbeach list? It seems people on unhosted may
> not care, and there are also many different hackers who are not involved
> in unhosted who may be very excited to come.

Sounds like an idea, there is a Twitter account as well... and IRC
channel #hackerbeach on FreeNode.

Cheers,
Fran �ois

Sebastian Kippe

Nov 6, 2013, 6:58:50 AM11/6/13
to unho...@googlegroups.com
I asked Vicy about that place she told me about. Waiting for a response…

Basti