Streetlighting: Dark Sky and Sleep

8 vues

Peter Duval

non lue,
8 déc. 2015, 22:17:4208/12/2015
à underhillene...@gmail.com (Google Groups)
Dear Committee Members,

Netflix streams a film about dark sky, “The City Dark”.
http://www.netflix.com/search/city%20dark

David Randall’s book, Dreamland is an informative read:
I have a copy.

I find that these apps for screen dimming and color shifting provide a stark example of how adaptive our eyes are to color. When you see a color shifted screen in white light, it is very apparent. I encourage you to try the.

f.lux is a free app for desktop computers (iOS too, if you jailbreak) that is the leading screen-dimmer (Redshift for Linux is another option):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.lux
https://justgetflux.com/

They have done a nice job compiling the research on light and health:
https://justgetflux.com/research.html

View equipment spectra here:
https://fluxometer.com/rainbow/

For Android, I have been using Twilight, which seems to work fine:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux&hl=en

For Chromebooks, it looks like Screen Shader is the favored app. G.lux and Melatonin are also available.

Here is the dark sky association website:

Rather than pick and choose for you, I have included all of my online research, below. If there are quotations that perk your interest, you can follow the link directly to the source.
The first one reminds of the problem of Jevons Paradox in lighting.

Project:Dark Sky
  • Created: 2014-04-11
  • Capture: In a paper published in 1998, the Yale economist William D. Nordhaus estimated the cost of lighting throughout human history. An ancient Babylonian, he calculated, needed to work more than forty-one hours to acquire enough lamp oil to provide a thousand lumen-hours of light—the equivalent of a seventy-five-watt incandescent bulb burning for about an hour. Thirty-five hundred years later, a contemporary of Thomas Jefferson’s could buy the same amount of illumination, in the form of tallow candles, by working for about five hours and twenty minutes. By 1992, an average American, with access to compact fluorescents, could do the same in less than half a second. Increasing the energy efficiency of illumination is nothing new; improved lighting has been “a lunch you’re paid to eat” ever since humans upgraded from cave fires (fifty-eight hours of labor for our early Stone Age ancestors). Yet our efficiency gains haven’t reduced the energy we expend on illumination or shrunk our energy consumption over all. On the contrary, we now generate light so extravagantly that darkness itself is spoken of as an endangered natural resource.
  • Source: Owen, David. `The New Yorker.` The Efficiency Dilemma - The New Yorker.The New Yorker 20 12 2010. Web. 25 October 2015.

    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/12/20/the-efficiency-dilemma.

  • Capture: Our results raise questions about adverse effects on the retina from chronic exposure to LED light compared with other light sources that have less blue light. Thus, we suggest a precautionary approach with regard to the use of blue-rich "white" LEDs for general lighting.
  • Source: YM, Shang. `PubMed.` White light-emitting diodes (LEDs) at domestic lighting levels and ... - PubMed - NCBI.NCBI n.d. Web. 22 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24362357.

  • Capture: Sometimes less light can be an effective deterrent to crime. On 25 November 2008 the Colchester (U.K.) Gazette reported that towns in Essex County, United Kingdom, had seen a reduction in crime during an 18-month pilot project in which most residential streetlights were turned off between midnight and 5:00 a.m. In Maldon, the number of recorded offenses fell by 14% during the hours the streetlights were off, and offenses overall fell by 12.6%. The Essex County Council, which originally intended the measure as a way to curb energy-related CO2 emissions, is currently considering whether to implement the program countywide.
  • Source: KJ., Gaston, C., Lawson, L., Audin, RG., Stevens, S, Yerushalmi, RM., Green, A., Spivey, and A, Barghini. `PMC.` Switch On the Night: Policies for Smarter Lighting. n.p., n.d. Web. 22 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2627885/.

  • Capture: Preventing Crime: What Works, What Doesn’t, What’s Promising, a 1996 report submitted to the U.S. Congress by the National Institute of Justice and the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice at the University of Maryland, concluded that “lighting is effective in some places, ineffective in others, and counter productive in still other circumstances” in deterring crime.
  • Source: KJ., Gaston, C., Lawson, L., Audin, RG., Stevens, S, Yerushalmi, RM., Green, A., Spivey, and A, Barghini. `PMC.` Switch On the Night: Policies for Smarter Lighting. n.p., n.d. Web. 22 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2627885/.

  • Capture: You may first want to stand on your own property line and look back toward your house to be sure that your lights are not offensive to your neighbors.
  • Source: "HOW TO TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOR ABOUT A “BAD” LIGHT - talktoyourneighbor.pdf." HOW TO TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOR ABOUT A “BAD” LIGHT - talktoyourneighbor.pdf, n.d.: 1. Print. 19 April 2014.

  • Capture: A “Part Night” sensor is cost effective and useful for areas that are deserted or less traveled after midnight.
  • Source: "The Energy and Light Committee of the Town of East Hampton and the Resource Conservation Manager seeks to establish procedures and rationales for the installation and removal of roadside lighting on public property with the goal of providing a safe trave." The Energy and Light Committee of the Town of East Hampton and the Resource Conservation Manager seeks to establish procedures and rationales for the installation and removal of roadside lighting on public property with the goal of providing a safe trave, n.d.: 3. Print. 19 April 2014.

  • Capture: Municipalities are not required by law to light roadways under their jurisdiction.
  • Source: "The Energy and Light Committee of the Town of East Hampton and the Resource Conservation Manager seeks to establish procedures and rationales for the installation and removal of roadside lighting on public property with the goal of providing a safe trave." The Energy and Light Committee of the Town of East Hampton and the Resource Conservation Manager seeks to establish procedures and rationales for the installation and removal of roadside lighting on public property with the goal of providing a safe trave, n.d.: 3. Print. 19 April 2014.

  • Capture: Other towns on Mt. Desert Island and around Frenchman’s Bay have adopted similar ordinances, all with the intent of keeping that region of Maine free of light pollution. This initiative is an excellent example of how good conservation planning and regulation can have a positive economic impact.
  • Source: Bar Harbor Comprehensive. "Bar Harbor case study.pdf." Bar Harbor case study.pdf, n.d.: 2. Print. 19 April 2014.

  • Capture: N H O E P T e c h n i c a l B u l l e t i n 1 6 s u m m a r i z e s i s s u e s a n d p r a c t i c a l s o l u t i o n s f o r e f f e c t i v e o u t d o o r l i g h t i n g t h a t p r o v i d e s t h e b e n e f i t s l i s t e d a b o v e , a s w e l l a s t w o m o d e l r e g u l a t i o n s .
  • Source: "Microsoft Word - Dark Sky Regulations in NH Communities July 06.doc - Dark_Sky_Regulations.pdf." Microsoft Word - Dark Sky Regulations in NH Communities July 06.doc - Dark_Sky_Regulations.pdf, n.d.: 1. Print. 19 April 2014.

  • Capture: S o m e t o w n s s i m p l y r e q u i r e t h a t l i g h t i n g b e o f t h e l o w e s t p r a c t i c a l i n t e n s i t y .
  • Source: "Microsoft Word - Dark Sky Regulations in NH Communities July 06.doc - Dark_Sky_Regulations.pdf." Microsoft Word - Dark Sky Regulations in NH Communities July 06.doc - Dark_Sky_Regulations.pdf, n.d.: 2. Print. 19 April 2014.

  • Capture: In 2007, Belgian researchers surveyed 1,656 teenagers about their use of mobile phones after lights-out, and found those who used a phone less than once per week were more than twice as likely to be ‘very tired’ a year later as those who never did. Using a phone after lights-out about once a week increased the risk of being ‘very tired’ by five times.
  • Source: Gamble, Jessa. `The end of night.` The health effects of a world without darkness – Rebecca Boyle – Aeon.Aeon n.d. Web. 11 April 2014.

    http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosmos/the-health-effects-of-a-world-without-darkness

  • Capture: To gauge levels of light pollution, scientists use lux, which is a measurement of illuminance that counts how many photons per second strike our eyes. As an example, the planet Venus, at its brightest, produces 0.0001 lux. In the natural nightscape, plants and animals are exposed to light levels that max out around 0.1 to 0.3 lux, during the week around full moon. By contrast, a typical shopping mall gushes 10 to 20 lux at night. That is 200,000 times brighter than the illuminance of a moonless evening.
  • Source: Gamble, Jessa. `The end of night.` The health effects of a world without darkness – Rebecca Boyle – Aeon.Aeon n.d. Web. 11 April 2014.

    http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosmos/the-health-effects-of-a-world-without-darkness

  • Capture: Councillor Ron Hardie, who represents Cadbury Heath, said: "The police have told us they have not seen any notable incre ase in crime. "In fact, in some areas, there has been a reduction of 20 per cent. "I understand from the police that burglars don't like it when it's dark. "They like to be able to see their escape route and they like to 'case' a premises before they strik e. "They would attract too much attention if they were using torches."
  • Source: Hartley, Margaret. "Microsoft Word - NightWatchV3N15.docx - enews120211.pdf." Microsoft Word - NightWatchV3N15.docx - enews120211.pdf, n.d.: 1. Print. 11 April 2014.

Project:Sleep
  • Created: 2012-08-30
  • Capture: if we are to speak of maintaining natural sleep patterns, that ship sailed as soon as artificial light turned every indoor environment into a perpetual mid-afternoon in May.
  • Source: Gamble, Jesse. `The end of sleep?.` Jessa Gamble – Life without sleep.aeon 10 04 2013. Web. 10 September 2015.

    http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/jessa-gamble-life-without-sleep/.

  • Capture: The ability of fluorescent lamps to suppress melatonin in humans after nocturnal light exposure is strongly dependent on the color temperature of the lamp. While lamps with daylight color (6500 K) can significantly suppress melatonin, warm white lamps (2700 K or 3000 K) have a much inferior effect on melatonin suppression. Cool white colors (Color Temperature of 4000 K) have a moderate effect on melatonin suppression.[2] Therefore warm white lamps are recommended for use at nighttime in order to prevent melatonin suppression.
  • Source: `Fluorescent lamps and health.` Fluorescent lamps and health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.Fluorescent lamps and health n.d. Web. 28 December 2014.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamps_and_health.

  • Capture: Chronic exposure to natural or artificial light and simultaneous intake of melatonin may potentially contribute to a significant loss of photoreceptor cells in the aging retina.
  • Source: AF, Wiechmann. `PubMed.` Influence of dietary melatonin on photoreceptor survival in the rat... - PubMed - NCBI.NCBI n.d. Web. 28 December 2014.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18078931/.

  • Capture: In the past 50 y, there has been a decline in average sleep duration and quality, with adverse consequences on general health.
  • Source: `Evening use of light-emitting eReaders negatively affects sleep, circadian timing, and next-morning alertness.` Evening use of light-emitting eReaders negatively affects sleep, circadian timing, and next-morning alertness. n.p., n.d. Web. 28 December 2014.

    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/12/18/1418490112.

  • Capture: Overall, we found that the use of portable light-emitting devices immediately before bedtime has biological effects that may perpetuate sleep deficiency and disrupt circadian rhythms, both of which can have adverse impacts on performance, health, and safety.
  • Source: `Evening use of light-emitting eReaders negatively affects sleep, circadian timing, and next-morning alertness.` Evening use of light-emitting eReaders negatively affects sleep, circadian timing, and next-morning alertness. n.p., n.d. Web. 28 December 2014.

    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/12/18/1418490112.

  • Capture: Tablets and e-readers are more convenient in many ways than paper books, but many people have complained that the physical experience of using them isn't as good. And now we have some specific quantification of this fact: a study has shown that people who read text on a tablet before bed don't sleep as well as those who read a traditional book (abstract).
  • Source: Soulskill, SeaFox, and ProzacPatient. `Slashdot: News for Nerds.` Study: Light-Emitting Screens Before Bedtime Disrupt Sleep - Slashdot.Slashdot n.d. Web. 25 December 2014.

    http://beta.slashdot.org/story/211439.

  • Capture: For terrestrials, the Good Night LED is promised to help you sleep because it emits less blue light than other LEDs. The amount of blue light is key here: Any light can suppress melatonin, the hormone that facilitates sleep, but human eyes are especially sensitive to blue.
  • Source: `LED lightbulbs that promise to help you sleep.` Lightbulbs That Want to Change Your Mood - Consumer Reports. n.d. Web. 17 December 2014.

    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/12/led-lightbulbs-that-promise-to-help-you-sleep/i….

  • Capture: Rule 10: Sleep is not rest.

    You wake up at 5 a.m., drive to the pool, swim, head to the office, work all day, get home at 6:30 p.m., ride your indoor trainer, have dinner, kiss your spouse good night and go to sleep, and repeat. You say, “I get decent rest; I sleep seven hours a night.” Sleep is not rest. Sleep is sleep. Rest is being awake, but not putting out energy. It’s a human need just like air and water. Find a way to incorporate rest into your days by simplifying your life. On workdays, maybe you can find 30 minutes during the day or an hour after dinner when you can just unwind and just be. Do your best. You’ll feel better, recover better from workouts, improve more and race faster.
  • Source: Gootman, Jason. `Multisport Lab.` The Rules of Rest - usatriathlon.org.usatriathlon.org n.d. Web. 10 December 2014.

    http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/rules-of-r….

  • Capture: Our results raise questions about adverse effects on the retina from chronic exposure to LED light compared with other light sources that have less blue light. Thus, we suggest a precautionary approach with regard to the use of blue-rich "white" LEDs for general lighting.
  • Source: YM, Shang. `PubMed.` White light-emitting diodes (LEDs) at domestic lighting levels and ... - PubMed - NCBI.NCBI n.d. Web. 23 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24362357.

  • Capture: Our results raise questions about adverse effects on the retina from chronic exposure to LED light compared with other light sources that have less blue light. Thus, we suggest a precautionary approach with regard to the use of blue-rich "white" LEDs for general lighting.
  • Source: YM, Shang. `PubMed.` White light-emitting diodes (LEDs) at domestic lighting levels and ... - PubMed - NCBI.NCBI n.d. Web. 23 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24362357.

  • Capture: This paper gives a comprehensive analysis of the potential risks of white LEDs, taking into account pre-clinical knowledge as well as epidemiologic studies and reports the French Agency's recommendations to avoid potential retinal hazards.
  • Source: F. `PubMed.` Light-emitting diodes (LED) for domestic lighting: any risks for th... - PubMed - NCBI.NCBI n.d. Web. 23 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21600300.

  • Capture: Says Steven Lockley, an assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Sleep Medicine at Harvard Medical School, “We are in desperate need of controlled studies to measure the health impact of street lighting and other exposure to artificial light at night.”
  • Source: KJ., Gaston, C., Lawson, L., Audin, RG., Stevens, S, Yerushalmi, RM., Green, A., Spivey, and A, Barghini. `PMC.` Switch On the Night: Policies for Smarter Lighting. n.p., n.d. Web. 23 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2627885/.

  • Capture: One surprising bit of research at the meeting was a study that suggests a midnight snack can undo the memory benefits usually conferred by getting enough sleep. A team from UCLA found that mice that ate during their normal sleep time scored worse on memory tests than mice that ate during their normal waking hours.

    "Those animals show severe deficits in their recall," says neuroscientist Christopher Colwell. And the deficit occurred even if the animals were getting a normal amount of sleep, he says. The finding suggests that people who wake up during the night and want to snack should probably abstain, Colwell says, if they want their memory to work normally the next day.
  • Source: Hamilton, Jon. `Sleep's Link To Learning And Memory Traced To Brain Chemistry.` Sleep's Link To Learning And Memory Traced To Brain Chemistry : Shots - Health News : NPR.Health News : NPR n.d. Web. 23 November 2014.

    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/11/20/365213989/sleeps-link-to-learning-and-memory-traced-….

  • Capture: Blue light such as that emitted by LEDs has been shown to suppress production of the hormone melatonin to a greater degree than other visible wavelengths emitted at the same intensity.3,4 Melatonin suppression has been demonstrated to disrupt sleep/wake cycles and has been linked to increased risk of breast cancer.5 “Modern lights . . . that use the wavelength in the range of 460 nm to 500 nm should be considered ‘bad light,’” Haim says.
  • Source: HS, Jang, HY, Kim, YS, Kim, HM, Lee, DY., Jeon, JR, Oh, SH, Cho, HK, Park, JH, Oh, YH, Lee, YR., Do, J, Wang, and Wang. `PMC.` The Mixed Blessing of Phosphor-Based White LEDs. n.p., n.d. Web. 22 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226516/.

  • Capture: Haim and other coauthors of a new study call for regulations limiting the use of certain types of lights, including LEDs, for nighttime lighting outdoors.
  • Source: HS, Jang, HY, Kim, YS, Kim, HM, Lee, DY., Jeon, JR, Oh, SH, Cho, HK, Park, JH, Oh, YH, Lee, YR., Do, J, Wang, and Wang. `PMC.` The Mixed Blessing of Phosphor-Based White LEDs. n.p., n.d. Web. 22 November 2014.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226516/.

  • Capture: In a study in 2001 led by Christian Cajochen, a chronobiologist at the University of Basel in Switzerland, researchers asked 13 men to stare at computer screens for five hours per night. One week, they gazed at fluorescent monitors, which emit a variety of light colours; another week, they used LED-lit screens, which are twice as blue. Researchers described ‘huge differences’ between the two experiences, with those watching the bluer screens showing depressed melatonin levels later into the night. Our human bodies, built for the sun, now absorb the blue lights beaming out from endless tiny screens, subtly changing our internal clocks, murmuring at us to stay up a bit longer, delaying the soothing melatonin release that would lull us to sleep.
  • Source: Gamble, Jessa, Evans, Claire, and Raza, S. `Unhinged.` I tried to fight my circadian rhythms but failed – Cara Parks – Aeon.Aeon n.d. Web. 7 November 2014.

    http://aeon.co/magazine/health/i-tried-to-fight-my-body-clock-but-my-circadian-rhythms-fought-b….

  • Capture: The term jet lag was coined in about 1966; before that, a slow boat across the Atlantic or a horse ride across Asia allowed humans to adjust gradually to their new surroundings (internal clocks can adjust by approximately one hour per day).
  • Source: Gamble, Jessa, Evans, Claire, and Raza, S. `Unhinged.` I tried to fight my circadian rhythms but failed – Cara Parks – Aeon.Aeon n.d. Web. 7 November 2014.

    http://aeon.co/magazine/health/i-tried-to-fight-my-body-clock-but-my-circadian-rhythms-fought-b….

  • Capture: Before electric lighting, night was associated with crime and fear – people stayed inside and went early to bed. The time of their first sleep varied with season and social class, but usually commenced a couple of hours after dusk and lasted for three or four hours until, in the middle of the night, people naturally woke up. Prior to electric lighting, wealthier households often had other forms of artificial light – for instance, gas lamps – and in turn went to bed later. Interestingly, Ekirch found less reference to segmented sleep in personal papers from such households.
  • Source: Gamble, Jessa, Emslie, Karen, and Boyle, Rebecca. `Broken sleep.` Why broken sleep is a golden time for creativity – Karen Emslie – Aeon.Aeon n.d. Web. 7 November 2014.

    http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/why-broken-sleep-is-a-golden-time-for-creativity/.

  • Capture: Levels of the chemicals NSA and S-100B in the subjects' blood rose -- a sign that lack of sleep could mean loss of brain tissue, Uppsala professor Christian Benedict told the Daily Mail.  The levels didn't jump as high as they would after a head injury, "but it was still significant."
  • Source: Times, Los. `Stupid all-nighters: Sleep deprivation may kill brain tissue.` Stupid all-nighters: Sleep deprivation may kill brain tissue - LA Times.LA Times n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.latimes.com/nation/shareitnow/la-sh-sleep-deprivation-study-20140103-story.html.

  • Capture: Researchers at Sweden's Uppsala University looked at what happened when healthy people pulled an all-nighter. Scientists found chemicals in their blood that were markers of brain damage.
  • Source: Times, Los. `Stupid all-nighters: Sleep deprivation may kill brain tissue.` Stupid all-nighters: Sleep deprivation may kill brain tissue - LA Times.LA Times n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.latimes.com/nation/shareitnow/la-sh-sleep-deprivation-study-20140103-story.html.

  • Capture: In a study of Gulf War veterans, disrupted sleep patterns were associated with a lower brain volume, suggesting that effective treatment for insomnia might improve some cognitive functioning.
  • Source: Mar. `Does Insomnia Make You Stupid? How Trouble Sleeping Leads To Lower Brain Volume.` Does Insomnia Make You Stupid? How Trouble Sleeping Leads To Lower Brain Volume. n.p., n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.medicaldaily.com/does-insomnia-make-you-stupid-how-trouble-sleeping-leads-lower-brai….

  • Capture: Two-and-a-half years ago, I fainted from exhaustion. I hit my head on my desk. I broke my cheekbone, I got five stitches on my right eye. And I began the journey of rediscovering the value of sleep. And in the course of that, I studied, I met with medical doctors, scientists, and I'm here to tell you that the way to a more productive, more inspired, more joyful life is getting enough sleep.
  • Source: Huffington, Arianna. Arianna Huffington: How to succeed? Get more sleep | Talk Video | TED.com.TED.com n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/arianna_huffington_how_to_succeed_get_more_sleep/transcript?language=e….

  • Capture: In this short talk, Arianna Huffington shares a small idea that can awaken much bigger ones: the power of a good night's sleep. Instead of bragging about our sleep deficits, she urges us to shut our eyes and see the big picture: We can sleep our way to increased productivity and happiness — and smarter decision-making.
  • Source:  Arianna Huffington: How to succeed? Get more sleep | Talk Video | TED.com.Video on TED.com n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/arianna_huffington_how_to_succeed_get_more_sleep.

  • Capture: Even though the data around productivity has proved pretty remorseless, humans have found the message hard to accept. It seems so logical that two units of work will produce twice the output. Logical but wrong. The critical measure of work isn't and never should be input but output. What matters isn't how many hours your team puts in, but the quality and quantity of work they produce.
  • Source: Heffernan, Margaret. The Truth About Sleep & Productivity | Inc.com.Inc.com n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.inc.com/margaret-heffernan/the-truth-about-sleep-and-productivity.html.

  • Capture: Our internal clock likes to move forward not back.
  • Source: `Missing sleep can make you fat, sad, and stupid.` Missing sleep can make you fat, sad, and stupid | OUPblog.OUPblog n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://blog.oup.com/2010/08/missing-sleep/.

  • Capture: Missing sleep can make you fat, sad, and stupid
  • Source: `Missing sleep can make you fat, sad, and stupid.` Missing sleep can make you fat, sad, and stupid | OUPblog.OUPblog n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://blog.oup.com/2010/08/missing-sleep/.

  • Capture: Need a reason to #unplug? How about four: Exxon Valdex, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Challenger. As we continue to look into these man-made disasters, we discover they're increasingly linked to insufficient sleep.
  • Source: Baer, Drake. `How Insufficient Sleep Makes You Fat, Stupid, And Dead | Fast Company | Business Innovation.` How Insufficient Sleep Makes You Fat, Stupid, And Dead | Fast Company | Business Innovation.Fast Company n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.fastcompany.com/3013266/unplug/how-insufficient-sleep-makes-you-fat-stupid-and-dead.

  • Capture: A classic symptom of this ‘tired but wired’ cycle is not feeling hungry in the morning, or feeling nauseous when you do eat breakfast. Never imagine that this is a convenient way to save on time and calories – the food that you eat first thing stimulates your metabolism and aids in detoxification. Without a good breakfast to line your belly you set yourself up for low energy and poor eating patterns the rest of the day.
  • Source: `11 Reasons Why You Absolutely Need More Sleep.` 11 Reasons Why You Absolutely Need More Sleep. n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.dumblittleman.com/2009/07/11-reasons-why-you-need-more-sleep.html.

  • Capture: Sleep deprivation basically makes you dumber.

  • Source: `Sleep Deprivation.` Sleep Deprivation and Its Effects. n.p., n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.sleepdex.org/deficit.htm.

  • Capture: Sleep is particularly important for learning because it is associated with memory consolidation. Since learning involves storing and organizing new memories, it’s not a process you can omit and still learn well.
  • Source: Ben, Adhithya, Remlin, Maribel, Elfin, Mu, and Charles. `Scott H Young.` The Stupidity of Cutting Sleep « Scott H Young.The Stupidity of Cutting Sleep « Scott H Young n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2014/10/28/dont-cut-sleep/.

  • Capture: I knew people who often bragged about how little sleep they got. To them, it was proof that your studies were impressively difficult and that you weren’t a slacker. To me, it’s proof you’re an idiot.
  • Source: Ben, Adhithya, Remlin, Maribel, Elfin, Mu, and Charles. `Scott H Young.` The Stupidity of Cutting Sleep « Scott H Young.The Stupidity of Cutting Sleep « Scott H Young n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2014/10/28/dont-cut-sleep/.

  • Capture: Among blind people, the cause is the inability to register, and therefore to entrain to, light cues. The many blind people who do entrain to the 24-hour light/dark cycle have eyes with functioning retinas including operative non-visual light-sensitive cells.[4] These ganglion cells, which contain melanopsin, convey their signals to the "circadian clock" via the retinohypothalamic tract (distinct from the optic nerve), linking the retina to the pineal gland.
  • Source: `Free-running sleep.` Free-running sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia n.d. Web. 5 November 2014.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-running_sleep.

  • Capture: “In both writing and sleeping,” Stephen King observed in his excellent meditation on the art of “creative sleep” and wakeful dreaming, “we learn to be physically still at the same time we are encouraging our minds to unlock from the humdrum rational thinking of our daytime lives.”
  • Source: Pickings, Brain. `Brain Pickings.` Famous Writers’ Sleep Habits vs. Literary Productivity, Visualized | Brain Pickings.Brain Pickings n.d. Web. 14 June 2014.

    http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/12/16/writers-wakeup-times-literary-productivity-vi….

  • Capture: Short sleep duration and later sleep timing have been linked to higher BMI in multiple studies [9], [10], [11], [12], [13], [14]. These conditions increase the potential for exposure to light at inappropriate biological times (i.e. light at night and/or reduced morning light). Given the growing evidence for a role of light in regulating body weight, the goal of this study was to evaluate the relationship between the timing and duration of daily habitual ambient light exposure, sleep timing and duration with BMI.
  • Source: Reid, Kathryn. `Timing and Intensity of Light Correlate with Body Weight in Adults.` PLOS ONE: Timing and Intensity of Light Correlate with Body Weight in Adults.PLOS ONE: Timing and Intensity of Light Correlate with Body Weight in Adults n.d. Web. 7 April 2014.

    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0092251.

  • Capture: BBC Documentary 10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep
  • Source: `This video is unavailable..` ▶ BBC Documentary 10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep - YouTube.YouTube n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbjrUWeju4.

  • Capture: Do you get enough sleep? Many of us don't. 10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep reveals the science behind why so many find it difficult to nod off, and offers practical tips on the best ways to get a good night's sleep.
  • Source: `10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep.` BBC One - 10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep.BBC One n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j08h7.

  • Capture: If you have a hard time falling asleep, a regular bedtime ritual will help you wind down and prepare for sleep. Find out how to fall asleep.
  • Source: `Better sleep.` Sleep problems and trouble sleeping - Live Well - NHS Choices.NHS Choices n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/sleep/Pages/sleep-home.aspx.

  • Capture: Describes the importance of having enough sleep; also shows the dangerous effects of not sleeping enough
    10:20: "...our society is so sleep deprived that we don't remember what it is like to be awake."
    10:40 "...there is no chemical substitute for sleep."
  • Source: `This video is unavailable..` ▶ THE IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP.mpg - YouTube. n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsioD4wXAPo.

  • Capture: William C. Dement, M.D., Ph.D., is the world's leading authority on sleep, sleep disorders, and the dangers of sleep deprivation. He is Chief of the newly created Division of Sleep at Stanford University School of Medicine, which is also the home of the world's first sleep disorders center founded by Dr. Dement.
  • Source: `This video is unavailable..` ▶ Personal Growth Series: Dr. William Dement on Healthy Sleep and Optimal Perfo... - YouTube.YouTube n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hAw1z8GdE8.

  • Capture: Hannah Chow, a Loyola pediatrician, talks about setting limits so that kids get enough sleep.

    "School age kids needs no less than 10 hours of sleep."

    "Absolutely no TV, video games or cell phones in the bedroom."
  • Source: `This video is unavailable..` ▶ Why kids need their sleep - YouTube. n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwI9cSh5o2Q.

  • Capture: "Say you go to the pediatrician and they show you a growth curve. And that growth curve is really broad. Well, the sleep curve is actually even broader. Different people need different amounts," says Dr. Colon.
  • Source: `This video is unavailable..` Are Kids Getting Enough Sleep? - YouTube.YouTube n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjB-ezPufw.

  • Capture: From five to twelve, it's 10 or 11 hours. But sleep is not one-size fits all.
  • Source: `This video is unavailable..` Are Kids Getting Enough Sleep? - YouTube.YouTube n.d. Web. 15 March 2014.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjB-ezPufw.

  • Capture: We should never forget the importance of sleep. The fundamental man is alone during the majority of sleep and that is where he wants to be, away from the institutionalized man whose hand he's been holding throughout the waking day. Most of what the fundamental man must observe passively as the institutionalized man carries out his duties is boring, meaningless, and stupid. Much of the behavior of the institutionalized man is offensive to the fundamental man. When possible, don't forget the importance of giving the fundamental man a break with a good night's sleep.
  • Source: `The Zone.` The Zone. n.p., n.d. Web. 4 February 2014.

    http://iamslomo.com/Zone_Final.html.

  • Capture: Much of the behavior of the institutionalized man is offensive to the fundamental man. When possible, don't forget the importance of giving the fundamental man a break with a good night's sleep.
  • Source: `The Zone.` The Zone. n.p., n.d. Web. 4 February 2014.

    http://iamslomo.com/Zone_Final.html.

  • Capture: In the final analysis the institutionalized man should always know his place and treat the fundamental man accordingly. He should keep his hands off religion and art, secure and protect freedom at all costs, hold love in its highest form, and make sure he usually gets a good night's sleep.
  • Source: `The Zone.` The Zone. n.p., n.d. Web. 4 February 2014.

    http://iamslomo.com/Zone_Final.html.

  • Capture: You might be sleep deficient if you often feel like you could doze off while:

    Sitting and reading or watching TV
    Sitting still in a public place, such as a movie theater, meeting, or classroom
  • Source: `What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Problem Sleepiness?.` What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Problem Sleepiness? - NHLBI, NIH.NHLBI, NIH n.d. Web. 29 October 2013.

    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sdd/signs.html.

  • Capture: You might be sleep deficient if you often feel like you could doze off while:

    Sitting and reading or watching TV
    Sitting still in a public place, such as a movie theater, meeting, or classroom
  • Source: `What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Problem Sleepiness?.` What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Problem Sleepiness? - NHLBI, NIH.NHLBI, NIH n.d. Web. 29 October 2013.

    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sdd/signs.html.

  • Capture: That's probably not a coincidence, Nedergaard says. "Isn't it interesting that Alzheimer's and all other diseases associated with dementia, they are linked to sleep disorders," she says.
  • Source: Hamilton, Jon, Hamilton, Jon, and Considered, All. `Brains Sweep Themselves Clean Of Toxins During Sleep.` Brains Sweep Themselves Clean Of Toxins During Sleep : Shots - Health News : NPR. n.d. Web. 21 October 2013.

    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/10/18/236211811/brains-sweep-themselves-clean-of-toxins-du….

  • Capture: Research by University of Michigan’s Dr. Ronald Chervin indicates as many as 25 percent of kids diagnosed with ADHD have an underlying sleep disorder causing their symptoms.
  • Source: Published, Ashley. `New York Magazine.` How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38979/.

  • Capture: As recently as 2002, the American Academy of Pediatrics opined that children’s snoring was a benign condition not warranting treatment. Just five years later, researchers now caution that kids’ snoring is not like adult snoring at all—even a little snoring is a major cause for concern, because their developing brains can be deprived of oxygen.
  • Source: Published, Ashley. `New York Magazine.` How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38979/.

  • Capture: For the majority of kids, rather than thinking it’s a choice between sleep and activities, the opposite is true: Students who sleep more are involved in more afterschool activities—with no detriment to their grades. They have the energy to be involved.
  • Source: Published, Ashley. `New York Magazine.` How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38979/.

  • Capture: Inconsistent bedtimes are, for all practical purposes, homemade jet lag—the desynchronization of the two systems that regulate sleep, the circadian rhythm and the homeostatic pressure system. Staying up three hours later on weekends is equivalent to flying across three time zones every weekend.
  • Source: Published, Ashley. `New York Magazine.` How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38979/.

  • Capture: The light from a television or computer can delay both the necessary drop in core body temperature and melatonin production—and thus delaying sleep onset—by two hours.
  • Source: Published, Ashley. `New York Magazine.` How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38979/.

  • Capture: A loss of one hour of sleep is equivalent to [the loss of] two years of cognitive maturation and development,
  • Source: By. `New York Magazine.` Can a Lack of Sleep Set Back Your Child's Cognitive Abilities? -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38951/index1.html.

  • Capture: The wireless wActiSleep monitor, in conjunction with the ActiLife analysis software, delivers continuous, objective 24 hour sleep/wake and daily activity information collected in any environment.
  • Source: `Products.` wActiSleep Monitor | ActiGraph. n.p., n.d. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://www.actigraphcorp.com/products/wactisleep-monitor/.

  • Capture: Google Techtalk

  • Comment:

    The first consideration in this talk about performance nutrition... sleep.

  • Source: Fowkes, Steven. n.p., 2 December 2009. Web. 27 August 2013.

    http://youtu.be/-PA-buwI3q4.

  • Capture: http://youtu.be/8hAw1z8GdE8

  • Comment:

    Dr. William Dement, Stanford, the pioneering researcher on sleep. Google personal growth techtalk. Leading authority on sleep. Discovered REM sleep. 7:20 "I've heard it a thousand times, 'I'm tired all the time and I don't know why. Well, for healthy young adults, there's only one cause, and that is sleep debt." Questioned about children, his recommendation was for a consistent, early bedtime.

    Triumvirate of Health

    Excellent Nutrition

    Physical Fitness

    Normal Adequate Sleep

  • Source: Dement, William. "Personal Growth Series." n.d.: n. pag. Print. 27 August 2013.

  • Capture: Children aged five to 12 need 10-11 hours of sleep. At the same time, there is an increasing demand on their time from school (e.g., homework), sports and other extracurricular and social activities. In addition, school-aged children become more interested in TV, computers, the media and Internet as well as caffeine products – all of which can lead to difficulty falling asleep, nightmares and disruptions to their sleep. In particular, watching TV close to bedtime has been associated with bedtime resistance, difficulty falling asleep, anxiety around sleep and sleeping fewer hours.
  • Source: `Children and Sleep.` Children & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation.National Sleep Foundation n.d. Web. 26 August 2013.

    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/children-and-sleep.

  • Capture: "Screen time during the hour before bed can get kids more aroused and then they're going to have a harder time falling asleep," explains Garrison.

    She suggests parents turn the TV off at least 60 minutes before kids get tucked in.

    Shows that are meant for adults carry risks as well, she says, and she advises parents not to watch potentially violent programs such as the evening news when children are in the room.
  • Source: `TV affects sleep of preschoolers – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs.` TV affects sleep of preschoolers – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs. n.p., n.d. Web. 12 November 2012.

    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/27/tv-affects-sleep-of-preschoolers/.

  • Capture: Infants
    Birth–2 months need 12–18 hours
    3–11 months need 14–15 hours
    Toddlers/Children
    1–3 years need 12–14 hours
    3–5 years old need 11–13 hours
    5–10 years old need 10–11 hours
    Adolescents
    10-17 years need 8.5–9.5 hours
    Adults
    need 7–9 hours
  • Source: `CDC Features - Sleep and Sleep Disorders.` CDC Features - Sleep and Sleep Disorders. n.p., n.d. Web. 12 November 2012.

    http://www.cdc.gov/Features/Sleep/.

  • Capture: Children aged five to 12 need 10-11 hours of sleep. At the same time, there is an increasing demand on their time from school (e.g., homework), sports and other extracurricular and social activities. In addition, school-aged children become more interested in TV, computers, the media and Internet as well as caffeine products – all of which can lead to difficulty falling asleep, nightmares and disruptions to their sleep. In particular, watching TV close to bedtime has been associated with bedtime resistance, difficulty falling asleep, anxiety around sleep and sleeping fewer hours.

    Sleep problems and disorders are prevalent at this age. Poor or inadequate sleep can lead to mood swings, behavioral problems such as hyperactivity and cognitive problems that impact on their ability to learn in school.

    Sleep Tips for School-aged Children

    Teach school-aged children about healthy sleep habits.
    Continue to emphasize need for regular and consistent sleep schedule and bedtime routine.
    Make child's bedroom conducive to sleep – dark, cool and quiet.
    Keep TV and computers out of the bedroom.
    Avoid caffeine.
  • Source: `Children and Sleep | National Sleep Foundation - Information on Sleep Health and Safety.` Children and Sleep | National Sleep Foundation - Information on Sleep Health and Safety. n.p., n.d. Web. 12 November 2012.

    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/children-and-sleep.

  • Capture: Convinced by the mountain of studies, a handful of school districts around the nation are starting school later in the morning. The best known of these is in Edina, Minnesota, an affluent suburb of Minneapolis, where the high school start time was changed from 7:25 a.m. to 8:30. The results were startling. In the year preceding the time change, math and verbal SAT scores for the top 10 percent of Edina’s students averaged 1288. A year later, the top 10 percent averaged 1500, an increase that couldn’t be attributed to any other variable. “Truly flabbergasting,” said Brian O’Reilly, the College Board’s executive director for SAT Program Relations, on hearing the results.
  • Source: `Can a Lack of Sleep Set Back Your Child's Cognitive Abilities? -- New York Magazine.` Can a Lack of Sleep Set Back Your Child's Cognitive Abilities? -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 30 August 2012.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38951/index1.html.

  • Capture: The surprise is how much sleep affects academic performance and emotional stability, as well as phenomena that we assumed to be entirely unrelated, such as the international obesity epidemic and the rise of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. A few scientists theorize that sleep problems during formative years can cause permanent changes in a child’s brain structure: damage that one can’t sleep off like a hangover. It’s even possible that many of the hallmark characteristics of being a tweener and teen—moodiness, depression, and even binge eating—are actually symptoms of chronic sleep deprivation.
  • Source: `Can a Lack of Sleep Set Back Your Child's Cognitive Abilities? -- New York Magazine.` Can a Lack of Sleep Set Back Your Child's Cognitive Abilities? -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 30 August 2012.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38951/.

  • Capture: Research by University of Michigan’s Dr. Ronald Chervin indicates as many as 25 percent of kids diagnosed with ADHD have an underlying sleep disorder causing their symptoms. If treated for their sleep disorder, the ADHD would magically disappear.
  • Source: `How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine.` How to Get Kids to Sleep More -- New York Magazine. n.p., n.d. Web. 30 August 2012.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/38979/.

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer