bug (Umple Online)

Gunter Mussbacher

Sep 19, 2017, 9:59:52 PM9/19/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
hello tim,

i am going over my Umple tutorial and the following example does not work
anymore when pasted in Umple online:

-----
class Day {
1 -> * Note;
}

class Note {}
-----

the problem is the directed association. when i play around with the
example and change -> to -- or <- or <@>- or -<@>, then all of these
variations work and i even managed to get -> to work, but not all the
time.

ciao,
gunter.

Timothy Lethbridge

Sep 19, 2017, 11:33:30 PM9/19/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Crap. A nondeterministic problem!

This example seems to fail about 90% of the time on the main server, but
only about 5% of the time on my Mac.

I can make it appear in other small examples that display error or warning
messages too (some small percent of the time)

Something to do with a race condition between sending the result and
sending the error message in the new internal server that I put in to
speed things up a lot.

Since I caused the problem I will investigate. i am at Models now, so
won't be able to do much until Friday afternoon.

Tim
> --

Timothy C. Lethbridge, PhD, P.Eng., I.S.P., CSDP
Professor of Software Engineering and Computer Science
/ Professeur Titulaire de génie logiciel et d'informatique
and Vice-Dean (governance) / et vice-doyen (gouvernance)
Faculté de genie / Faculty of Engineering
University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa
Tel: 613-562-5800x6685 Fax: 613-562-5664 Mobile: 613-252-1850
http://www.eecs.uottawa.ca/~tcl

Vahdat Abdelzad

Sep 19, 2017, 11:34:20 PM9/19/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gunter,

I checked the example in Eclipse and CL. It works without any issue. It also gives warning 36 which is a valid one.
I could run the code on UmpleOnline after clicking several times on "Generate Code". This might be the way you could run it.
I think the reason might be because of the recent improvement Tim has done on UmpleOnline to improve the performance of UmpleOnline.
However, Tim can have better thoughts about this issue.
Incidentally, our Eclipse plugin has been redesigned and reimplemented. It supports compiling and generating code in addition to other features. Some of your students might feel more comfortable with the plugin if they know already the Eclipse IDE. The guideline how to install the Umple plugin can be found here.

Regards,
Vahdat.

Vahdat Abdelzad.
Ph.D. in Software Engineering.
University of Ottawa, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Room 4027,
800 King Edward Avenue, Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1N 6N5,

Gunter Mussbacher

Sep 19, 2017, 11:43:01 PM9/19/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
hello vahdat,

> Incidentally, our Eclipse plugin has been redesigned and reimplemented. It
> supports compiling and generating code in addition to other features. Some
> of your students might feel more comfortable with the plugin if they know
> already the Eclipse IDE. The guideline how to install the Umple plugin can
> be found here <https://github.com/umple/Umple/wiki/InstallEclipsePlugin>.

yes, i noticed the new design of the eclipse plugin. looks nice.

what format is the generated class diagram (extension gv)? which
application do you use in eclipse to view it?

ciao,
gunter.

Gunter Mussbacher

Sep 19, 2017, 11:43:22 PM9/19/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
thanks tim.

Vahdat Abdelzad

Sep 19, 2017, 11:58:19 PM9/19/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We still use Graphviz package and have not integrated it into Eclipse. I personally set up Graphviz as an external tool and run it manually. Tim has written a CL script which does the same thing automatically. We are currently developing a new mechanism based on DHTML, and probably will be able to integrate it into Eclipse in the coming releases.

Regards,
Vahdat.

Timothy Lethbridge

Sep 20, 2017, 9:25:24 AM9/20/17
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

To convert a gv to svg, you install graphviz that includes the dot
program and then use

dot -Tsvg $1.gv -o $1.svg
and then open the svg in a web browser

where $1 is the stem of the filename. I do this in a script as necessary;

Tim