Java 8 and Umple

Kevin Brightwell

Feb 17, 2015, 12:48:33 PM2/17/15
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been working on updating some build structures for Umple (adding formal Ant tasks for umplec and umplei). In writing these tasks, I started using Java 8 constructs without thinking much about it.

I would like to purpose that the build chain for Umple be increased to the latest stable version of Java, Java 1.8. You can see feature changes here (this is a biased article, but it's OK).

In purposing this, the following would need to change:
  1. Developers use Java 8 (if you use the auto-updater from Oracle, you'll already be there)
  2. The cruise build server uses Java 8, OpenJDK does already have support for Java 8
  3. Clients who use Umple need to have Java 8 to run umple

However, those who use generated code will not have to update (Umple still generates Java 1.6 classes AFAIK).

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,

Kevin

Timothy Lethbridge

Feb 17, 2015, 12:57:04 PM2/17/15
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I agree we need to move to Java 8. Oracle announced recently that they
won't update Java 7 beyond April.

We can do it over the next 3 weeks (say by March 15th, perhaps earlier,
but not instantly as I will need to upgrade on the server (a process which
turns out to be non-trivial as the CruiseControl system requires Java 6
still, and won't even work under Java 7 so there is some complex mechanism
to manage there).

Mac users haven't been pushed Java 8 yet by default, so we will need to
all update to it.

So don't do any patches or commits that require it for a while. If this
puts you in a bind, you are going to have to find a workaround.

And as for generated code, we want to be one step behind, so people can
make changes that generate Java 7, but don't generate Java 8 unique stuff
for a while.

Tim

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Kevin Brightwell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working on updating some build structures for Umple (adding
> formal Ant tasks for umplec and umplei). In writing these tasks, I started
> using Java 8 constructs without thinking much about it.
>
> I would like to purpose that the build chain for Umple be increased to the
> latest stable version of Java, Java 1.8. You can see feature changes here
> (this is a biased article, but it's OK).
>
> In purposing this, the following would need to change:
> 1. Developers use Java 8 (if you use the auto-updater from Oracle, you'll
> already be there)
> 2. The cruise build server uses Java 8, OpenJDK does already have support
> for Java 8
> 3. Clients who use Umple need to have Java 8 to run umple
>
> However, those who use generated code will not have to update (Umple still
> generates Java 1.6 classes AFAIK).
>
> I'd appreciate any input on this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>
> --

Timothy C. Lethbridge, PhD, P.Eng., I.S.P., CSDP
Professor of Software Engineering and Computer Science
/ Professeur Titulaire de génie logiciel et d'informatique
and Vice-Dean (governance) / et vice-doyen (gouvernance)
Faculté de genie / Faculty of Engineering
University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa
Tel: 613-562-5800x6685 Fax: 613-562-5664 Mobile: 613-252-1850
http://www.eecs.uottawa.ca/~tcl

Kevin Brightwell

Feb 17, 2015, 1:03:37 PM2/17/15
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For Mac users, the knowledge base article actually says to download it from Oracle. So, while it's not automatic anymore (:(), it is expected that Mac folks download from Oracle. (Link)

As for putting me in a bind, I can also just hold off merging my patches until the systems are updated. They are not mission critical. The workarounds aren't worth the time (Java 8's Optional, and Streams are so nice).

For generated code, I agree whole-heartedly.

Thanks,

Kevin

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/umple-dev.

Timothy C. Lethbridge, PhD, P.Eng., I.S.P., CSDP
Professor of Software Engineering and Computer Science
/ Professeur Titulaire de génie logiciel et d'informatique
and Vice-Dean (governance) / et vice-doyen (gouvernance)
Faculté de genie / Faculty of Engineering
University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa
Tel: 613-562-5800x6685   Fax: 613-562-5664    Mobile: 613-252-1850
http://www.eecs.uottawa.ca/~tcl

--
Kevin Brightwell
BESc. and BSc. Candidate 2015
Western University www.westernu.ca
e. kevin.br...@gmail.com c. 647.678.4927

Timothy Lethbridge

Feb 17, 2015, 1:30:13 PM2/17/15
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have tested Java 8 on my Mac, and Umple seems to build fine.

The catch is that I can now no longer easily do a 'release' on Java 7,
since my Mac is 'converted', and it the Mac no longer makes it easily to
fluidly switch versions.

The next offial 'release' will be sometime in the coming couple of months,
and it will deliver jars in Java 8, which means we will have officially
cut over at theat time.

For those of you doing commits you should generally avoid committing jars
unless there is a key reason, but if you have to do so, you will need to
be aware that we are at Java 7 for now, and when given notice we will be
at Java 8, and you will have to be consistent with this.

If anyone has any problems cutting over to Java 8, let me know. It is best
to test now.
> email to umple-dev+...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to
> umpl...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/umple-dev.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

> Timothy C. Lethbridge, PhD, P.Eng., I.S.P., CSDP
> Professor of Software Engineering and Computer Science
> / Professeur Titulaire de génie logiciel et d'informatique
> and Vice-Dean (governance) / et vice-doyen (gouvernance)
> Faculté de genie / Faculty of Engineering
> University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa
> Tel: 613-562-5800x6685   Fax: 613-562-5664    Mobile:
> 613-252-1850
> http://www.eecs.uottawa.ca/~tcl
>

> --
> Kevin Brightwell
> BESc. and BSc. Candidate 2015
> Western University www.westernu.ca
> e. kevin.br...@gmail.com c. 647.678.4927

Timothy Lethbridge

Feb 17, 2015, 2:07:02 PM2/17/15
to umpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have tested all the mechanisms by updating to the latest Java 7 on the
server. I think we can go to Java 8 earlier rather than later, but I will
wait a few days to receive input from everybody in case there are issues.