New Umlaut Implementation in Production

Kevin Reiss

Feb 18, 2015, 12:32:33 PM2/18/15
to umlaut-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After a somewhat long gestation period (we have been experimenting on and off again with Umlaut for almost two years at this point) we have finally taken it into production. Our service is at http://getit.princeton.edu/. We have replaced our old SFX implementation in our OpenURL source systems but are still waiting to phase in the replacement A to Z list. Please feel free to list us on the implementors list at https://github.com/team-umlaut/umlaut/wiki/Umlaut-installations. Thanks to the community for all the effort that has gone into maintaining and improving the project over the years.

Kevin Reiss
Princeton University Library

PHILLIPS M.E.

Feb 18, 2015, 12:54:00 PM2/18/15
to umlaut-...@googlegroups.com

Well done!  Looks good.

Looking at the implementors list reminds me to make progress on sharing our code.  I now have just received formal approval to share so I next need to get the guys to put stuff on our public GitHub.

What’s the best way of doing this?  All of our code has gone in the app, so it’s not modifying files in the gem.  Should we change things round and put them in the gem instead?  What style of tests should we provide (I think we have *no* tests for our code at present, so you might not like to accept it).

Matthew

--

Matthew Phillips

Head of Digital and Bibliographic Services,

Durham University Library, Stockton Road, Durham, DH1 3LY

+44 (0)191 334 2941

Jonathan Rochkind

Feb 18, 2015, 1:17:49 PM2/18/15
to umlaut-...@googlegroups.com
Nice job Kevin and princeton -- I see they figured out a few
customizations that I wasn't sure people would be able to figure out on
their own, so am pleased they did.

Good news Matthew!

I think there are a couple possible approaches.

The basic approach, which I think makes sense to start with, is just to
put what you've got up somewhere. If you can take your entire app and
make it public (because you keep passwords or other sensitive data out
of the repo), just do that.

This is like, "Here's what we've done in case you want to look at it and
copy and paste it, but it's not in a reusable form, it's just for you to
look at and copy paste from."

Which is pretty good on it's own. The next step would be actually
extracting things, especially custom plugins, into their own repo(s) and
ruby gems, so people can actually re-use the code that's there,
contribute bugfixes or features, etc., and everyone using them will be
using the same code.

That's of course more work to do, and I don't know that you're obligated
to do it -- although there are self-interested benefits to doing it as
people can send you bugfixes and improvements and such. But I think
you'd be good to start just sharing what you have, whatever it is.
Someone else can always take it and extract it into an independent
reusable gem too, once it's available.

Jonathan