Amazon adapter?

Jonathan Rochkind

Sep 9, 2014, 4:01:31 PM9/9/14
to umlaut-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone use the Amazon adapter that comes with Umlaut?

It's nice in that it can pre-check for "Search inside the book" and
"limited preview" availability on Amazon (by ISBN lookup), and give the
users links there. (There is a Google Books adapter that does the same
thing with Google).

It's not nice in that it uses the Amazon Product Advertising API, which
has terms of service some people believe precludes most library use --
they say they "may reject your enrollment" if your application does not
have the "principal purpose advertising and marketing the Amazon Site
and driving sales of products and services on the Amazon Site"

Additionally, the API didn't actually advertise search-inside and
look-inside availability, so the Umlaut adapter had to do some
screen-scraping to get those, which is also kind of sketchy.

And the screen-scraping broke recently. I can fix it... with not
screen-scraping, but contacting an Amazon JSON API endpoint which is not
advertised anywhere, I just noticed it in my chrome debugger.

So, yeah, maybe kinda sketchy.

Curious if anyone is currently using the adapter, and their opinions on
advisability of doing this.

Jonathan