ABO compatibility in FFP

chi...@aol.com

Nov 1, 2010, 8:15:29 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys
P/s can somebody help me with this burning question, my brain just can't figure it out.

Since blood type O has anti-bodies to both A and B blood, why is it then the universal recipient when it comes to plasma transfusion?

Does this mean that a type O person can receive a Type A or B FFP? If so, why?

Please advice
Petronilla

mariah dillon

Nov 1, 2010, 8:27:37 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Type O is the universal DONOR of WHOLE BLOOD....it has no antigens on the surface of the cell.  It is a universal RECIPIENT of PLASMA for that same reason, it has no antigens, so the antibodies in plasma from other blood types won't cause hemolysis of the Type O cell.  Hope that helps.

mariah dillon

Nov 1, 2010, 8:29:10 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Not whole blood, i meant PRBC'S.  Whole blood has everything.  We separate whole blood into PRBC'S, PLASMA, PLATELETS.  You know that, I just wanted to clarify!

Ivana Stefanovic

Nov 1, 2010, 8:31:18 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com

Recipients can receive plasma of the same blood group, but otherwise the donor-recipient compatibility for blood plasma is the converse of that of RBCs: plasma extracted from type AB blood can be transfused to individuals of any blood group; individuals of blood group O can receive plasma from any blood group; and type O plasma can be used only by type O recipients.

There is a table here  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type#Plasma_compatibility

Have fun :)
Plasma compatibility table[61]
Recipient Donor[1]
O A B AB
O Green tickY Green tickY Green tickY Green tickY
A Green tickY Green tickY
B Green tickY Green tickY
AB Green tickY

Plasma compatibility table[61]
Recipient Donor[1]
O A B AB
O Green tickY Green tickY Green tickY Green tickY
A Green tickY Green tickY
B Green tickY Green tickY
AB Green tickY

Ivana
To: umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Subject: ABO compatibility in FFP
From: chi...@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 20:15:29 -0400

chi...@aol.com

Nov 1, 2010, 8:46:50 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Mariah
I'm still confused though.
Why wouldn't their be a hemolysis if it's receiving type A or B plasma that it has anti-bodies to since anti-bodies are present on the plasma cell surface.My understanding is that Type O blood is a universal donor when it comes to PRBC transfusion b/cos it has no antigens and that's what you're dealing with when it comes to RBC's. However, it has anti-bodies to both A and B on it's plasma.

chi...@aol.com

Nov 1, 2010, 8:51:51 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Ivana and Mariah, I appreciate all the help

Petronilla

Nov 1, 2010, 9:20:49 PM11/1/10
to umbsr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a million Mariah Ivana and Amy, makes absolute sense now

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

From: mariah dillon <magnol...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 21:03:23 -0400